“Already booked for next year”

Electra Holiday Village
Ranked #60 of 107 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Already booked for next year”
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I got back from electra village 28th july and I have to say if you have a young family then this is the place to be. I have stopped in a few hotels along nissi ave with higher star ratings and you get alot less for your money in the way of entertainment food and friendliness. So you may get a nicer room or grand foye but my holiday with my family are spent around the pool and taking part in activities which was great at electra village.the rooms were a nice size and clean with lots of extras you have to pay for in higher rated hotels . All the staff were so friendly and if you had a problem they would bend over backwards to sort it out for you. The food was great plenty of choice and a kids trolley so they can get there own if they want. Now for the entertainment can I just say that this is the main reason we have booked up again for next year our 2 children 5 and 11month loved it. Anis,christian and lucy were fab so friendly and a good fun. If you dont like joining in and having a laugh this is not for you but to me thats what holidays are for. Thanks entertainment team will see you next year.

1 Thank wonkywilki

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Right, I only just came back from my holiday to Electra Village and I was crying on the coach back! I loved it so much! I spent 2 weeks there with my family but it only felt like 2 days.
My nan was always complaining, "The music's too loud!" "This is terrible!" "Why can't Anis have the volume down lower like Christian does?" All stuff like that. I think she forgot that this was mainly a hotel intended for children.
There was the odd innapropriate song, e.g. It wasn't me (the cleaner version) but other than that the music was fine.
The food was wonderful as there was always something different to choose from. A popular dessert was the green (lime) jelly.
I found the activities during the day to be amazing. I think Christian did a marvelous job leading water volleyball which later became aqua aerobics and water polo.

The entertainment in the evening varied from wonderful to meh. From 8-9:30 ish possibly 10 depending on how late Anis was, was great for kids, however after 9:30/10:00, the entertainment became more adult so children under 12 should have gone elsewhere. I distinctly remember Lucy stripping Anis down to his underwear which was extremely hilarious but innapropriate for younger children.
The staff and entertainers were very polite and welcoming and always said good morning.
Christian and Lucy were marvellous with the mini disco and even encouraged me, a 15 year old girl, to join them. I knew most of the dances to the songs and I helped the little ones follow the dances.
I didn't go to the waterpark much, however when I did go, I thoroughly enjoyed the lazy river, though it's not one for those who don't like random showers of water!

I was so happy with my stay at the hotel and the entertainment, that I got a card and some biscuits to say thank you to the entertainers for being so wonderful.
When it came to leaving, the entertainers gave us their contact details so that we could stay in touch and waved us off on the coach. Having to say goodbye was the hardest part as my eyes welled up with tears and a few trickled over. I was mainly upset because I was going to miss Christian and Lucy because they were so lovely and kind.

Overall, I would say that I had the best holiday I've ever had and would definately go back again.

1 Thank PepsiPip
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We travelled with Thomson First Choice and had a peaceful flight arriving at Cyprus at 22:00 with an unexpected temperature of 29 degrees. We were a family paying for four adults yet one child was 13 and the other was 15, the issue was that someone over the age of 18 had to accompany a child under the age of 14 in the hotel waterpark at all times though it was just across the road and managed by many staff. Therefore the family was divided when the 13 year old wanted to be in the waterpark ( with few kiddie slides) while everyone else was on the hotel complex. This made us rotate around who would stay in the waterpark and who could get something to eat or go to the hotel room. To solve this problem for a day we decided to pay over €120 to go to Ayia Napa Waterpark which was 5 mins transfer but the food was very expensive.
Anyway... overall the location was half way between Nissi Beach (where it stated in the brochure we were located) and the heart of Ayia Napa, Blackpool in the sun and it was such a disappointed! Apparently in the day it was supposed to be super clean however in reality it was not the case. Even blue flag Nissi Beach had stub ends everywhere and was seriously overcrowded, we were trying to play bat and ball but people were oblivious and just walked inbetween our game as there was simply no room to enjoy it.
Though we actually had a fab time on the 'Love Cyprus' trip because it got us away from the complex and area for a whole day, we won't spoil it for you but let's just say the food is great and gives a true side of Cyprus. WARNING- do not book Underwater Scooters if you believe the sea looks choppy while you are there as it WILL be cancelled. This was the case for us and due to paying on the card, Matt (holiday advisor) encouraged us to have the fees to be returned in euros cash so we actually lost out when we exchanged money back in the UK for a trip that never took place.

Now onto the hotel. The staff were friendly and offered to bring us drinks on occasion and the food was standard 3* grub. Not bad but not what we had paid for. The room was fairly large and the air con saved us! We acquired a new skill of learning to flush a toilet which rarely happened- Russian roulette comes to mind along with the one toilet roll issued each day for 'four adults'.

To be honest at least it was only 7 days but would never go again. If you've got under 6's it probably suit you otherwise I would reconsider.

1 Thank analysethis
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were a family of six (2 adults, our 13, 4 and 2 year old daughters and 10 year old son). This is a wonderful hotel. Surprisingly clean and loads of entertainment for both parents and children but particularly for children. On arrival at check-in the staff were extremely friendly and check-in was swift. After getting our all inclusive wtrist band on, we walked to our room (Block 32) on the ground level and were pleasantly surprised with how clean and spacious it was. There was no porters by the way, so you have roll/carry/drag your own suitcases. We had a bedroom with a large bed, a sitting room which was converted to accommodate our large family, a kitchenette with a small fridge, microwave, electric hot water kettle and electric stove. Plenty of towels were available, but what we didn't know is that we may not use the room towels (white) for the pool and beach. You actually have to bring your own. Also, they didn't inform me upon check-in that the room is cleaned 5 days a week. So one day we walked into our room and found it not cleaned. When I called to ask they told me of their policy. However house keeping did come over and offered to clean the room which I thought was extremely professional. The main highlight is the waterpark just across the street. Don't worry the street is not busy, it is actually at a dead end and hardly any traffic. The waterpark was so much fun for all ages specially my 4 and 2 year olds, they had a blast. Agree with the other reviewers on the professionalism of the life guards at both the pool and waterpark, they are not attentive nor alert. I didn't rely on them one bit. The park itself was very safe and only people with special wrist bands could get in. You had 3 buffet style meals. Breakfast for me was the best. In general the buffet lunches and dinners were ok and the best night was the Mexican theme. Oh ya, you need to ask about the theme dinners and their days as they forgot to inform me on check-in. I must say, we stayed for 6 nights but after the 4th I couldn't stand eating there anymore and so we went across the street to a Mexican restaurant which was awful. The food was below average and the service poor. Save Mexican for the theme night at the resort. Finally the entertainment at the hotel which starts at 20:30. My kids loved it and yes the crew entertaining us were amazing. Anis and his crew Christian and the other lady were immaculate. Very funny, caring and took very good care of the children there. Everyday there was a different show to include a parrot show, a magic show, kids disco, singing, dancing, the works. By the time it was 23:00, kids were tired or asleep.
Kyriakos at the bar was amazing and friendly. He was always smiling and making the best drinks. A special thanks to the General Manager Panagiotis for making our holiday possible. Oh yes, the beach is sandy but course and yes it is very rocky walking into the water. We did take the Black Pearl pirate ship and had a blast on that. They took us to the blue lagoon for a swim in crystal clear waters. Try to go early to get a seat on the upper deck to avoid getting sea sick.

Room Tip: If you have kids or using a stroller, ask for a ground level room. Going up and down the stairs cou...
2 Thank KMubarak
London
Reviewed August 2, 2013

No food for late arrivals so get there before 9pm. Rooms are very spacious with air con. They are also dated but clean.
Rooms are cleaned regularly. Maids are friendly and respectful. Staff are generally very warm, kind and attentive. Bar staff are funny guys.
Great location, 20 mins walk to harbour and Napa centre, and also 20 mins walk to Nissi beach.
Anis and Christian work very hard to provide fun and entertainment for all, all day and all night everyday. They are also very likeable and great company.
Lucy is a very kind and patient kids rep. I was very comfortable leaving my 7 year old with her.
The main pool has varied music and games throughout the day. Getting sunbeds is not a problem as half the guests were in the brilliant waterpark everyday.
Lots of sunbeds were either broken or dirty though. Apart from that the pools and waterpark were fantastic.
No ashtrays anywhere except for your balcony for some reason. Thankfully guests were finding bins for them.
There were a few chavs through the fortnight that embarrassed the rest of the English. Most guests are very nice and a pleasure to be around.
This hotel is not for true vegetarians. Meat and fish dishes are next to the veggie dishes in the buffet meaning that everything ends up with meat and fish in it.
Chefs are happy to make something different and personal for vegetarians, but you have to specify exactly what. I eat lots of quorn at home and I am not a chef. I ate pizza and pasta for 2 weeks with the occasional uncontaminated salad.
The gym was a small hot room with equipment that does not work. If you are happy to work out with only dumbells on a 30 year old gym mat then this is the place for you.
This holiday was made good by the hard working staff and the lovely people that we met. I do not feel that the hotel food, facilities or internal appearance was worthy of my hard earned cash, although I will add that meat eaters were quite happy at meal times.
I hope that the some of my money is is invested towards an interior designer and a vegetarian menu to support the work that the staff do to try and make sure guests enjoy their holiday.
I feel as if I have paid about £800 too much for this holiday and will be looking for more value out of £2600 at the next hotel I stay in.

2 Thank I_M_Honest2013
Northampton, United Kingdom

24th July - 31st July 2013
This is my first review and as such I am finding it difficult to weigh up just what to say as surely each holiday is seen from the perspective of the person going? Take my wife and myself. We're used to holidays staying in 5 star hotels so using just that as a starting point the Electra would be seen as a disappointment as the hotel, it's rooms, restaurant and service were to us quite basic. I went to a holiday camp when I was a kid (a long time ago) and from that distant memory I would describe the Electra as a Butlins with heat.
The wife wasn't happy with the cleaners as our towels went downhill from the first day, a dirty sheet wasn't replaced and a couple of times they left the patio door unlocked which was particularly worrying after another family had a break-in. You don't want a room with a sea-view as they are particularly susceptible to a passing thief.
Food was plentiful. Not top class but there was no need to go hungry. We often skipped lunch and had a nice snack by the bar whose staff were very good, especially the bartenders who were very generous with the cocktails. Two Mai-tai being enough to send the wife to bed very happy, must have been at least trebles.
Entertainment was basic but I think the team, Anis, Christian and Lucy worked their socks off. It's not easy to entertain kids, teenagers, the middle and old aged all at the same time. Considering the hours they worked I think they did very well. My favourite night was a Tuesday when they got as many guests dancing on stage as they could. This was also our last night and the drinks had flowed which may have helped. My highlight was probably when the kids got Lucy soaking wet in the pool and then she had to bounce up and down to "mosa mosa asi voce me mata". That's an image that will live long in the mind.
Location was good, 20 minute walk into Ayia Napa, whilst the nearby beach was nice except as another contributor wrote the sand was very gritty so hard on the feet. Swim a few yards out and the water takes on that beautiful azure blue hue that is quite simply stunning.
Okay, that's from our adult point of view, now from another perspective, that of grandparents taking their 10 year old grandson on holiday. The place is fantastic. We booked this hotel for the family tag and the water park and apart from the wave machine not working the hotel was everything we could have wished for. Our Ben loved every second of it, soon found friends that he played with most of the week and because of this we too became friends with several sets of parents which made the whole thing much more enjoyable. The pool is very large, the water was warm and inviting and as we were enduring a Cypriot heat wave a most welcome place to cool down. Ben didn't go to the daily kids club but did join in with the dance routines, volleyball, water polo etc, etc. We were only there 7 days, he would have been happy to stay there all summer.
So, in summary. We got exactly what we wanted from this holiday, a great time for a great grandson.

Room Tip: Do NOT ask for a sea view, access too easy for the local thieves.
1 Thank Johnny-Marvo
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Just returned back 29/7 from a weeks holiday at the Electra Village- 2 Adults and child 15. Had a lovely time the weather was excellent overall the holiday was great value for the money.

We arrived in the early hours after an hours coach trip from the airport. The receptionist provided the large key from the room which operated the air con and all the electric in the rooms. The safe key was extra 22 euros but 10 euros was a deposit which we received back.

We had a studio room which overlooked the water park, the room was very large and had self catering facilities which we never used apart from the fridge. The bathroom was clean but small had a bath and shower towels were changed daily, The bedlinen was changed twice in the week and cleaned regularly. There was no hairdryer but i bought my own with me as i had read the reviews before I left. The TV had very limited english channels but who stays in their room to watch TV on holiday.

The restaurant was very clean and air conditioned the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was plenty of choice they had a two week menu. There was never any issues with us being rushed and you were able to order drinks from the bar in glasses which made a lovely change. Lunch was served in the restaurant. They offered bar food between 10-12 and then 3-5 which was cooked to order there was a good choice of food from jacket potatoes, pasta, burgers, nachos and many more. For us this was a chance to get out of the afternoon sun and take part in the cocktail quiz.

The entertainment started around the pool from 10.30 killer darts, killer pool, water volleyball waterpolo plenty of entertainment for all ages. The entertainment staff worked really hard every day very friendly people Christain, Anis and Lucy always around the pool chatting to everyone making sure everyone is having a great time. The evening shows were the usual children's disco bingo and then a Parrot Show, Magic Show and yes Elvis was alive in Cyprus he was pretty good and everyone enjoyed that night.All drinks were served from plastic cups but the all inclusive drinks included a large selection and cocktails.

The pool was split into two a large children's area which was mainly used from volleyball but the main pool was shallow on one end then deep at the other. We had a life guard from 10am until 5pm. The sunbeds as usual you had to be up early 6ish any earlier and your towels would be taken off and put in a pile. The sunbeds need to be looked at some need to be thrown away and a good clean is needed. People do leave their plastics cups around but there are plenty of bins around. The waterpark is just over the road opens from 10 to 6pm has plenty of lifeguards and has the free all inclusive bar on site, limited sun beds but we went there late afternoon and there was no queuing for the rides.

The Electra village is located on a pebble beach but there is a lovely beach 15 mins walk down to nissi beach. The local beach offered water sports at an extra charge.

This resort is walking distance from the shops restaurants and bars etc, plenty of choices for all ages groups, the Harbour is only a 20 min walk where you can have a leisurely boat trip , fishing trip or go on a party boat.

We had a lovely time and I would recommend this holiday.

1 Thank Sandra M