“A nice place to relax”

Asterias Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 102 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Reviewed June 20, 2008

We stayed in this hotel in the beginning of June 2008. It is indeed a very good choice, let me share my experiences.

We arrived around 9 pm local time to the hotel, tired and hungry after a long trip - the reception was very warm and the formalities were done quickly, so we could get to our room and go to the restaurant for the dinner.

I've noticed even later on that although the restaurant's standard opening time is until a certain time (ie. 9:30 pm), noone makes you feel like you should hurry or that they're about to close even if you're a bit late with your meal. It is a small, but important thing in my opinion. The restaurant staff is excellent, the food was very good and the service as well. This summer as I learned there're plenty of young (~20-21) guys and girls working here as waiters/waitresses and they really cheer you up, always having a good word and a smile for everyone. For me this really improved the experience of my holidays, they are really nice people and you always have the feeling they do care for you. If I'll be able to go back this year, this will be one of the main reasons.
The restaurant itself is offering a very nice selection of meals for all the three main times of the day. Every day there's a different style, so while one day you've got Italian pastas, the other you can go for the moussakas and traditional Greek stuff. It is very-very nice and various - although I consider myself rather picky, I could always find plenty of different things to eat.

The bar and the pool bar is nice too and unlike in many places where I've been with all-inclusive, here even some nice cocktails are included - not all of them but about a dozen in total (alcoholic and non-alcoholic).
For me it was nice to see that there's no disco on the premises - after having some bad experience with an other hotel last year in Turkey. For having fun and dance you can easily get a cab and go to Aya Napa for about 10 Euros where you have plenty of them.
Although there's music in the bar during the evening, it seemed to me that it's always the same cd they play, every single night.

During our stay we had the "economy-room", which is supposed to be smaller than the others, but I can tell that it was still fine for 2 people. It was nice and clean all the time, although I'd have been glad if the two beds wouldn't have slipped so easily on the floor, because we always had to move them back to each other.
Since we stayed on the ground floor in a room facing officially the garden, truly a parking lot in the front side of the building, we were quite worried about the quietness of the room. There was nothing to be worried about really. We never even noticed a car coming or passing by.
One thing I missed from the room was the lack of curtains. There were blinds, but no proper curtains which would just hang there and not letting anyone outside see what's going on on the ground floor room without closing out the sunlight. This could still be improved.
The other thing I considered strange was the use of "convetional" keys. On a place like thise I would have expected to have electronic keys, not a big old-fashioned key with a heavy metal block, where you can actually read the room number the key belongs to. Just imagine that you lose it or you leave it around on the beach. The same thing with the safe key - a little key on a ring and a tag with the room number on it. By the way the safe costs about 1.7 euros a day, it's not included.
In the room, the air conditioning is working well, although if you have the mini-fridge on (which is empty in default), it needs to be run all throughout the day, because the fridge produces so much heat that it heats up the room quite a bit.
The bathroom is quite ok, although the curtain next to the bathtube is not too hygienical I must say. It's a nylon curtain and although I don't know, I doubt it would be cleaned after every guest and it does touch you if you're having a shower with warm water.

Be aware, that all the plugs are UK-standards.

Hi-speed internet access is indeed available in the main lounge, unfortunately not in the rooms yet.
There's a souvenir shop in the hotel for small things (adaptors, postcards, etc.)

The beach is very-very nice and clean, a sandy beach with beautiful sea. There're some rocks near in the sea, but it's still good enough and there're parts of the beach where it's only sand. It lies in a south-easterly looking small bay, so most of the times it is protected from the waves and from the strong winds. On the beach you need to rent the beds and umbrellas (2.1 euros each).
There is a lifeguard service on the coast.
There're plenty of opportunities to sport - there's volleyball range, different water sports. We've tried the catamaran (Hobie 16 class, 40 euros/hour) and it was very nice - especially that this is pretty much the only possibility to sail around if you want to do so. There're plenty of cruises with powerboats, but nothing else for sailing.

When we were there most of the guests were Italians, Germans, Dutch, Russians, Polish and some Hungarians.
Again, it is a very nice place with nice people, so I'll definitely go back if I'll have the chance.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Voltunkegyparan

Reviewed May 30, 2008

Hotel was lovely and for a quiet holiday in a fantastic setting you could not ask for more the food was excellent plenty of choice. I went with my 2 sons aged 12 & 9 and my mum and dad in their 70's we could not fault anything about the hotel there were plenty of sunbeds around a large swimming pool that we often had to ourselves the beach was beautiful with crystal clear sea. The rooms were large and comfy with plenty of storage and cleaned daily did not have to take beach towels as they were supplied by the hotel and you could change them everyday if required. Lots of helpful friendly staff waiting on you it was a brilliant holiday would definately love to go back sometime.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank swanea
Reviewed April 30, 2008

The reason that we chose Cyprus was that my wife's parents emigrated there in February '08 so we wanted to visit them and have a family holiday at the same time.

We trudged through website after website and review after review and couldnt really decide which one to go with.

As having two young children (6 & 4), we didnt want to be in the heart of Ayia Napa and also wanted to be close to the beach. Asterias seemed to tick a lot of boxes so we took a chance.....and was delighted with the place !!

As it was very early in the holiday season the hotel was very quiet, our first week was a bit quiet, sometimes havng the whole beach or pools to ourselves, however it did get busier by the end of our holiday although there weren't a lot of english people there, out of the whole hotel I think the nice lady at reception said there was only 13 rooms booked with english.

The hotel itself is very clean although the decor and furniture was not what you could call modern, however not old and tatty all in good condition. We had a family room which had a double bed and bunk beds, bathroom with power shower, more than adequate rooms with balcony. The cleaners were fantastic too !!

They have themed food nights for the restuarant and we really cant say a bad word about the food, something for everyone. Maybe a little too much similar dishes each night although you have a huge choice of many different dishes. My son is a fussy eater and I have never seen him eat so much !!! The deserts are fabulous !!!

The staff are very friendly and seem to work very hard, especially in the resturant. One of the head waiters called Pantelis is a real character and always has a smile, the kids took a shine to him !

It has 3 pools, 2 outdoor, a large one and a small kids pool and 1 indoor where you can find the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The gym is also located next to the indoor pool. With a good days sun the pools were lovely to swim in although they were cool.

You can see the beach from the outdoor pools and can literally walk to it down a short path. The beach is clean and the water is clear.

Ayia Napa center is approx 40 mins walk from the hotel, so either hire a car (we used www.gorentacar.com.cy - cheaper than the one offered at the hotel) for a few days to get around or hire buggy's (we did and had some great fun...the kids loved them !), a little bit of a treat but well worth it, something different.

Each night there was a 'Mini Disco' for the kids run by an energetic young lady called Desi, the kids loved her and she was always smiling and always had time to chat with you. Also they had something on after the disco which might have been some Cypriot Dancers (thay are really good) or a Magician or singer, not brilliant entertainment but better than nothing at all !

I would recommend all inclusive as we went half board and this does not include drinks with your meals and they can add up each meal and from the bar, so we upgraded at reception which was reasonable.

Waterworld is a taxi ride away (7 Euros for taxi) which is great fun for all the family although if you have very small children they will probably be stood there a lot watching you become big kids again !!

All in all we really can't fault the hotel and was really pleased with our choice. If you want a nice relaxing holiday by the pool with good food, nice staff and just by the beach, go early April as the hotel will be quiet, the weather just right (was between 80 and 90 while we were there) you cant go wrong !

We will be definately coming back again !!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Karlosjackal
Reviewed April 8, 2008

We went to the Asterias beach with slight trepidation as a typical Aiya Napa holiday was not what we were after! However, everything about the holiday was perfect ...

FACILITES - The hotel has excellent facilities including a brand new gym with all the machines you could want, a beautiful indoor swimming pool, a tennis court (which is free to use) and a very nice outdoor pool area with sun loungers (although we weren't brave enough to get into the outdoor pool). The hotel beach is absolutely stunning with a long stretch of white sand, little coves and bays to sit in and turquoise blue water.

THE HOTEL - The hotel itself is very clean and comfortable - the only negative is that it looks like it has been stuck in a 1980's time warp! The rooms are very confortable with digital TV including BBC1, ITV and Sky News. We had a standard double which included two single beds pushed together (I am not sure if they have double beds in any of the rooms), a bath with a power shower attachment and a balcony. There are UK plug sockets in the room that work fine so need to bring adaptor plugs.

FOOD - The restaurant is basic but the buffet food is very nice and there is a good variation each night. Drinks are expensive though as this is where the hotel makes its money, so be ware! €3.10 for a small cup of tea seems a bit draconian, so if like us you like your tea and coffee, I would suggest bringing a travel kettle for the bedroom.

TRAVEL - The main mode of transport seems to be bike - there are bike hire shops all over Aiya Napa and a bike lanes in the main roads. We would suggest not hiring them through the hotel but going into town and getting them - you will get a much better deal that way. The hotel is a 30-40min walk from the center of Aiya Napa, so it would be very useful to have a bike for the week to get around.

AIYA NAPA - Aiya Napa is effectively split into two sections. The top part of the hill contains all the night clubs, the lower part has an old monestary, a lovely harbour and restaurants. So if clubbing isn't the main aim of the holiday, they are easily avoided!

SUMMARY - This holiday was excellent value for money (we booked it with Teletext Holidays). Having stayed in many 5* hotels, I was very impressed with the facilities, the cleanliness and the friendliness of staff. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone - couples wanting a beach holiday, families with young children, etc. However, I must just add that the official 'season' doesn't start until mid April and so we had a very quiet holiday; we never fought for sun beds and had many of the hotel facilities completely to ourselves. We were told that from now onwards, the whole area and the hotel becomes much more busy.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple