“An excellent family holiday”

Olympic Lagoon Resort
Ranked #5 of 102 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Reviewed July 31, 2014

My wife, and 7 year old daughter arrived back a week ago from a two week stay at the hotel. It was a great hotel and holiday. We stayed in a Junior family suite which was perfect for us, as the sliding partition gave our daughter her own space.

The staff were very helpful, polite, and were always willing and happy to assist. The place is kept very clean and the gardens and pool area are kept well too.

We got locked into the cycle of early starts to reserve sunbeds, but that's something I was happy and prepared to do. From what I could see though if you didn't get a sunbed, there were usually free ones somewhere available.

The entertainment staff were great too, my daughter took a real shine to Sarah and Vinnie. They all work tirelessly and put on some great shows and provide plenty to do during the day. We have stayed twice at First Choice Holiday Villages. The entertainment is perhaps not as 'full-on' as a holiday village, but on a par with it. If anything, the nights they got 'Professional' acts in were generally not as good as the Kanika All-Stars. (That was true at Holiday Villages too!)

Would I change anything? Some very small things. The ice-cream selection for the kids during the day was not very inspiring. They could do with maybe a few other snacks available from the pool bar. The shop in the hotel is limited, but then there is the supermarket beside the hotel. The sandwiches available from the beach hut were not very interesting either. Again a bit more selection from the hut would be good.

Really happy with this holiday, so much so that we have booked to go to the new Paphos Olympic Lagoon next July.

Thank you to all the staff at the hotel, it was great.

2  Thank ds8642
Write a ReviewReviews (2,837)

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We spent one week at Fisherman's Village at Olympic Lagoon Resort. If you are going as a couple, Fisherman's Village is a must. Lovely room and well equipped bathroom (and you can put the toilet paper to toilet :) ), jacuzzi bath was so relaxing. Peaceful pool area with good service. Family side of the resort was very busy and sunbeds were very close to each other. WiFi worked very well at Fisherman's Village.

Food at Japanese restaurant and "rock and roll" was very good. Buffet food in my opinion was good but not outstanding. Salads and sandwiches from the kiosk was nice for a snack and they tasted good. Cocktail menu was extensive but I think that quality of them was not super. Many different cocktails tasted quite sweet and similar to each other.

Although we had a wonderful stay, there was a couple of things we think could be improved. At the terrace of the main restaurant there are lot of small birds, so chairs had bird feces. Also do not leave your plate unattended or the second you turn your back birds will land to your plate to eat. Quite disgusting! Coffee is not served to the tables at morning. You can get coffee only from
machine and it does not have a lot of flavor.

All in all we had a nice stay and we would definitely recommend this to others.

Room Tip: Rooms at Fisherman's Village are very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marjut_T
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed here for just over 2 weeks and got married here. There were me and my husband and our three children ( 7, 3 and a 11 month old ) We had an amazing time from start to finish. Lovely surroundings, Lovely helpful staff. Our wedding day was amazing and so stress free. Hairdresser was fab. The older two loved the kids club. Restaurants were all really nice. We stayed in a suite it was done out lovely and very spacious. The pirate ship in the pool was brilliant for the kids. The lazy river was great too! Lovely, Lovely time and we definitely want to return here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Laura P
Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Olympic Lagoon ticked all the boxes very well...

Top rooms & cleanliness
Top food & service
Top for choice & variety
Top for adults & children
Top entertainment

Top staff in this hotel and that is what makes the difference....thanks!!

3  Thank Mayakj
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stayed in this hotel last year with mu husband as we got married in Cyprus last May.

The hotel is nice, and we stayed in the annex just across the road, which was good as it was adults only, had our own pool, bar and they did food as well.

I found the room a little small, which was a bit annoying in this instance as I was getting married and had a bit of a big dress, so trying to get around was a bit tricky. There was a jacuzzi bath though, which I loved.

The food at this hotel is very good, however because it is geared towards kids, there are quite a few of them running around the buffet areas which is a bit of a hazard. Not the hotel's fault, but I reckon they should have signs up advising parents to be extra careful as I saw a child run into a waiter on an occasion, and it's not really safe.

The lazy river pool is cool, and this hotel is very close to both the water park and a bus stop, so you can get into Ayia Napa itself easily.

We were unable to get married in this hotel as it was fully booked, so got hitched at the town hall instead, and I'm glad it worked out that way; it looked like a conveyor belt of marriages with little privacy, and we saw a good few receptions going on as well, so it didn't look like there was much privacy.

I would say I'd stay here again, but to be honest I returned to Cyprus earlier this year and stayed at a hotel in Protaras (which I have reviewed on here) and found it to be miles better, and slightly cheaper also. This hotel is nice, and good for kids as the pirate ship pool looked quite fun, but I prefer something a little quieter and more luxurious.

The food at the Japanese restaurant is very good though (apart from the sushi, as I don't like that), but everything else was very tasty!

Room Tip: Stay at the annex if you are a couple as there are no children running around!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz H
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Just returned from our wedding, no complaints at all.
The venues were great, personally I wouldn't get married at the gazebo, it is too close to the adult pool for my liking, the gardens was an amazing place to get married.
The food was varied and all very nice.
The pirate ship pool is just what the children need, they never want to leave.
The adult only pool is very quiet and relaxing.
We had a suite with a garden which was great,
We had no problems with flies etc although we did hear of ant problems in some rooms but they were dealt with by the staff once a phone call was made.

3  Thank stuart m
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Let's start with the positives and there are a lot of them. Great staff, lovely food, decent WiFi, great entertainment for kids, a nice spacious room (my wife, 11 year old son and I had a suite), great atmosphere, fantastic location near the beach and nothing was too much trouble.
However things could be better.
I will start with the pool area:
There are a load of people who put their towels down on a sunbed early in the morning and don't actually use them until later in the day.
The hotel say this isn't allowed and 'threaten' to remove the towels but they DO NOT.
The hotel staff should either follow through with the threat or leave it as a free for all.
The current situation means that considerate people lose out to the classless, ignorant, selfish morons who ignore 'the rules'
The next is the TV in the rooms. Decent size TV etc. but limited channel choice. I don't go on holiday to watch TV but a decent choice of channels would be nice.
Finally the matter of late check outs:
We arrived late and left late due to the times of our Thomas Cook flight.
On the final day we had to check out by 12:00 even though we didn't leave until 19:00
I was told I could have the room until 18:00 but it would cost me 75 Euros.
To be honest it's not the money but the principle. It is not my fault the flight times were late and bearing in mind we spent a small fortune booking the hotel I think it's shabby that you have to pay extra for this service.
When I 'complained' to the person on the desk she told me that's the way it is and a 12:00 check out is normal across most hotels in the world.
She also mentioned the cost was to cover the overtime for cleaning staff.
I am having none of that, when does a cleaner earn 75 euros for 30 minutes work! a totally lame excuse.
The 14 days were hassle free apart from the last 7 hours where we had to mess about with cases, showers etc in the shared areas of the changing rooms and hotels.
It seems you get a reply on here from the hotel when you give them a low rating so I won't be holding my breathe for them to reply to the points above!
To reiterate, the hotel is fabulous and I would go again but it could be better by getting a few of the little things right

Room Tip: Get a suite
6  Thank BigMickTynemouth
Ele K, Guest Relations Manager at Olympic Lagoon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Dear reviewer,

We are unashamedly proud of our service ethic at Olympic Lagoon Resort and we can assure you that we would act on any guest feedback either this is coming via online providers or directly.

We have taken up your comments in regards to the late checkout fee response with the Front Office Manager. Kindly bear in mind that we have many arriving and departing guests daily and we are always trying our very best to accommodate their needs. We do understand that it is clearly not your fault the flights were late but on the same token neither the Hotel’s Fault. The vital issue for us here was to make sure that you have been looked after in the best possible way. Indeed around the world there is a late checkout fee; the same at the Olympic Lagoon resort with the exception of repeat guests and Hospitality members who are entitled a 3 pm complimentary late check out which is always offered subject to availability.

Pool towels and sun beds! Hot issue! Please be advised that as from last week the pool towels procedure has been re evaluated and the rules have been altered accordingly. Pool towels left on sun beds prior to 8:00 am are collected by our dedicated staff and put away. Additionally we encourage our guests to return their Pool Towels to the Pool Towel Kiosk on daily basis and collect ‘ fresh’ ones at 8:00 am when the Pool Towel Kiosk opens. We are very proud to announce that our valued guests have been very accommodating with the new system and we are extremely appreciative for their kind collaboration.

Dear Guest, you stated on your review about the pool towel rules that ‘The hotel say this isn't allowed and 'threaten' to remove the towels but they DO NOT’. ‘AND The hotel staff should either follow through with the threat or leave it as a free for all ‘. Our question here is : Was this really necessary? In response to your comments though we would like to reiterate categorically that we do not threaten our guests; sometimes we try to be a little firm as to enforce a rule which affects the daily run of the Resort with guests comfort always in mind; therefore we are a little flexible as well in 'some' occasions. If guests of hotels around the world were following the Hospitality regulations it would have been ‘a God sent gift ’ but unfortunately not all of them are, and we are faced with certain challenges which we have to handle professionally and respectfully. At the Olympic Lagoon we welcome challenges because these challenges make us stronger and better. Thank you for challenging us.

It will be an absolute pleasure having you stay with us once again and please do not hesitate to contact us on your next visit. We are looking forward to welcoming you and looking after you.