“Excellent re visit”

Simply Tapas and Vinho
Ranked #26 of 153 Restaurants in Almancil
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Simply Tapas and Vinho has taken the locals by storm and has quickly established itself to be the place to be and the place to be seen in. After considerable research in Spain, chef has put his own slant on many well known and traditional favourites as well as other more adventurous and interesting fare. If you are with a large party the Chef's Table provides the perfect setting. Whilst there check out the wide selection of gourmet delicacies on sale as well as a great selection of fine wines at reasonable prices.
torquay
“Excellent re visit”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Well we went back to Simply Tapas and had an excellent evening, they had on a christmas Chef,s selection which was both delicous and interesting, as always the food and wine were both of a very high standard and very good value.
The staff were very friendly and helpful in choosing the wine from their extensive range.
We are suprised to see yet another bad review from cheshire boy, Chef paul is always happy to talk to us and explain new dishes and where they have come from , he is very passionate about his cooking.

We would reccomend anyone who is in the area to have a visit. Also their homemade produce in the shop is well worth taking home.

• Visited December 2012

Almancil
“Great gourmet experience”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

As a resident in the Algarve for 21 years , I have never experienced such a successful venture in restaurant business as the one we can all have in Tapas & Vinho. Chef Paul Wheatley really knows how to combine traditional spanish tapas together with his own interpretation of mediterranean cuisine with that little extra creativity to suit the more demanding palates.
The Jamon de Bellota is absolutely a must and, by its colour, texture, the "sweat", and kind of sweet taste you can immediately tell it is from 100% acorn fed pigs. After reading a couple of negative comments about Paul's bellota ham all I can say is that these people do not have any clue of what bellota ham is all about.
For the strong stomachs I surely recommend the pork cheeks which melt in your mouth and the very slightly fried (as they should be) gambas in olive oil, garlic and piri-piri.
And what about the amazing wine cellar with some of the best and most exclusive spanish wines all highly rated by the most demanding international critics? Simply fantastic.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank RuideMorais
Prestbury, United Kingdom
“Not what I'd call Tapas”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

After having a far from perfect experience back in October, my partner and I decided to drop by in passing one evening for a quick bite. This time however, I thought I'd have a look around the bodega. I noticed the 3 hams hanging from the ceiling and wondered why there wasn't one in a ham stand actually being used. There are 2 reasons for this- the hams hanging up were plain Serrano hams, the pale flesh being an absolute give away. Secondly, the Belotta advertised on the menu was lying there in the fridge...pre sliced in packs alongside the pre sliced cheese. We decided on some olives, prawns and a plate of ham. The food was OK, the ham came cold from the fridge and was indeed pre sliced....not a patch on fresh hand sliced Bellota (which I can get at the Deli counter in Apollonia supermarket down the road!). Can't help thinking that they should stop trying hard to be clever/original and concentrate on sourcing quality ingredients and keeping things simple.....hence the name??

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank hardtoplease67
SerbanT, Owner at Simply Tapas and Vinho, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Chef and co owner Paul Wheatley here, in response to Cheshire boy I would like to point out that I responded personally to his last review questioning as to why he did not come and talk to me personally ....which I got no reply to ! and as I said in my reply he is obviously a person who hides behind the email ethos, if he was unhappy again why did he not ask to see me ?? Who knows??
Anyway to answer his question about the ham.....yes the hams hanging up are for display only ,and yes the organic,free range bellotta ham is pre sliced and vac packed for the simple reason that the supplier has it hand sliced by a Spanish National medal winner, so that the slices are perfectly thin.
The ham is never served directly from the fridge , which again if Cheshire boy had had the decency to make himself known he could have come into the kitchen and seen for himself, but he was probably to busy emailing or texting!!

Should Cheshire boy ever pass again perhaps he will have the decency to make himself known so that we can have a face to face conversation as I invited him to do before...............however I presume as he has declined to do this twice it is unlikely.Chef
Sandbach
“New one on the block”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

An atmospheric place and the food was really delicious. Large portions, so order a few tapas and ask for more if you need it. Good wine selection. Often very busy at the weekends.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank theduchess64
Dublin, Ireland
“Good enough to go back to”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stopped by because it was new and we thought we would check it out, have a look at the menu and possibly come back another time etc! We ended up staying, having lunch in the sun and finally leaving about 3 hours&several bottles of rose later. The food is really good&the portions are large too. We were back a few days later for dinner, with friends who had never been before&were as impressed as were were. The wine manager was brilliant&really knew his stuff, he recommended wine which he thought would match which was not the expensive stuff, so well done all.

• Visited November 2012