“Good food and entertainment”
Review of Maria's Restaurant

Maria's Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 156 Restaurants in Almancil
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated between Vale do Lobo & Quinta Do Lago. Open everyday from 12.30. We also manage the beach concession and have sunbeds and shades for daily rental. We have a beach shack service drinks, snacks and ice cream. Reservations by phone during summer busy periods are recommended. Otherwise please email us. Thank you
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were a large group of about 20 people, pre booked for evening meal and music. The food was great but the exceptional part of the evening was the small three piece band. They managed to get all of us middle aged golfers up dancing (for some of us no mean feat) and played until we dropped.
The staff were really friendly and joined in with the dancing and fun as did the majority of other diners.
All in all a really fun evening

Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

in training & customer service. Late booking so they couldn't accommodate our party of 7 until 9:00pm. Our table wasn't ready so we were ushering back to the bar area for a drink (at cost). But by time the waiters had brought the chairs, then the drinks menus, our table was ready. The menu has a decent range but needs a bit more work; there are many ways to do seafood linguini - it would help making a choice if we were told how it was prepared. Cream, seafood, linguini by the way. In that order. The waiter rattled off the Specials, and them said " if you can't hear me, they are on the board behind me". It probably didn't occur to him that his tip was already shrinking. The waiter had a very idiosyncratic & bossy way of taking our order. The 3 girls probably confused him by not ordering starters, but when 1 person did, he then went round the table just taking starter orders before returning for the mains. Small point, I know, but now I had to concentrate on him twice rather than continuing our conversation
Only 4 ordered starters, but with the restaurant emptying, even this was too much & after a couple of minutes had to ask a waitress (by this time, I was already confused as to whom was in charge of our table) for the other starters to be served. Mains was better, served pretty much together, though I wasn't impressed by the multi-tasking waitress who stopped to collect dirty plates from the adjacent table whilst on her way back to the kitchen to collect 2 more of our courses! Remember, it was not so busy now. Most we're satisfied with their Mains,but I'm sure there's more to Portugese Prawn curry than cream, prawns, cumin, & chilli - in that order.
No complaints about the desserts,but service had gone from dead slow to stop, & in the end, being unable to catch the eye of any serving staff, we left our table & went to the bar to pay.
I remember this place from a previous visit when it was very much a seaside cafe. Now it's much more upmarket, but shame about the staff who haven't moved on.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Having been to Maria's numerous times during the 2 holidays we have had to the area in the past 3 months, the rude staff and terrible management have really topped themselves this time.

We have stuck with the restaurant, for some reason that I now can't remember, after previous bad service issues including wrong dishes ordered because a certain waiter wouldn't listen to us properly and most recently (for this very reservation) being told over the phone that they refuse to move our reservation time back by 30 minutes when they weren't busy in the first place as we had beds on the beach in which we could view the restaurant.

On this occaision, having finally paid the bill after my father asking to do so 3 times, he was then chased out of the restaurant by a waitress waving the bill at him, suggesting that he was trying to run. We hadn't bothered to mention it was my mothers birthday as we didn't want a fuss made however due to Maria's staffs utter incompetence, the meal was ruined and my father humiliated in front of the entire restaurant when of course the bill had been paid.

If you want good food and an authentic Portuguese dining experience with friendly and professional customer service, please try O Antonio down the road and give the awful customer service at Maria's a miss.

1  Thank Challan1
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Nice environment, great view, everything in the right place for a good dinner. Go there, you won't regret it!

4  Thank PedroCL
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Food and drink were great and the staff were very accommodating especially with my 3 year old. Wine list a little limited, would be nice to see more portuguese wines. Very clean and trendy restaurant with good back ground music and a good atmosphere. The calamari was particularly good, the batter was crisp and not greasy. would be better if you just had 1 waiter, i think we had about 7 in total which did lead to some confusion when re ordering drinks. I would/will re-visit

1  Thank James H