“Laranchal Nice BUT.....”

Quinta do Lago North
More attraction details
Owner description: The North Course, the Quinta do Lago's new number one, has been redeveloped with the emphasis firmly on precision and strategy and it's predicted to become one of the new stars of European golf. This popular golf course on Portugal's Algarve formerly known as Ria Formosa is covered by pine trees, heather and wild flowers, and features four magnificent Par 5 holes.
Hong Kong
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“Laranchal Nice BUT.....”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is a lovely course, wicked greens, and nice healthy fairways. Clearly QdL is taking care of this place.

We walked ( electric trolley 20 Euro!!; Manual trolley 6 Euro) , no need for a buggy. Really enjoyed the first nine but in the teens, we got really annoyed by the large numbers of mower, choppers, green works going on. At this part of the course, the tee boxes and greens for different holes are really close together so while there may be no one mowing on your hole as you putt, just next store there could the 4 or 5 machines operating at once!! Not what you want on such a lovely (and expensive) course. This persisted ( from about midday) from hole 12 or so till number 18.

So on return to the clubhouse I politely asked for the manager to discuss this ( I mean who wants to pay these prices and feel like I am in a machine shop when I tee off !). A Mr Claudio 'handled'' me ( or tried) by telling me look unless this is a tournament we do maintenance ( basically ''tough luck'').

We explained to him that yes we understand well about golf courses needing maintenance ( we are golfers!) but 5 or 6 machines right next to us , come on.....he refused to listen (or apologise), just insisted his point !!

Oh well, we wont go again, nice course, shame about the management and their attitude to their 100 EURO per round plus customers. Fortunately I can spend 100EURO at other courses and not have to listen to either lectures about golf courses needing maintenance or 5 machines whipping away as I am trying to save par on a really difficult green.

Bye Bye Laranchal

5 Thank HKJR

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Quinta Do Lago North, South & Laranjal Golf Courses”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have just returned from a trip to Portugal's South coast in Faro and played the Qunita Do Lago resort courses. This review is aimed at every golfer to give them a good idea of what to expect and what my suggestions for playing would be. Just so you know i'm a 5 handcp who hits a long ball but like all kinds of courses just so you know what perspective im coming from.

On Monday 7th Oct we played the North Course, I walked it (HUGE MISTAKE, USE A BUGGY, unless your used to the climate and course. Its very hilly and there is lots of traffic through it.
The course being shut very soon for a years reconditioning which does show as the greens were sub-standard and no better than your avg course in the Uk. I played this 5 years ago and recall it being in much better condition. My advice avoid this until it gets completed.

Tuesday we played the Laranjal and as soon as you turn up you can tell where they are putting there money. Its a very open course that suits all golfers but gives everyone from 28 to +5 hdcp golfers a chance. The greens are very good and the boys all rated the buggy's with GPS, cooling ice compartment etc the only sting is it cost 50 Euros to have one for the round. OUCH!
A nice but young immature course will be great in 10-15 years but still enjoyable for all hancps as its a open course where there is ample room for error!

Yesterday we played the South course which was hosting a U18's amateur event which surprised me considering the poor quality of the greens.The layout like the North is a good, very hilly but well maintained up to the greens where there was 4 or 5 pitch marks left unprepared on every green! They do not care what your hndcp is as none of us were asked for certificates and you can tell because the greens were poorly kept! Fast, yes, true, not always, bumpy and bobbly, yes!
The bunkers however were in superbcondition and you can attack your shots and play with such positivity unlike playing over hee where we tend to use the remnants of Travis Perkins supply!

As an all round review I would not rush back to this resort but rather Oceanico Victoria (currently hosting the Portugese Masters), Old Course (my favourite course outside the UK still!) Pinhal etc are all worth a look, but not played that in years.

For the money you pay dont touch these courses you will enjoy your trip far more going to Oceanico or another course to suit your and your golfing friends.

Happy Golfing!

3 Thank joe F
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“some long walks between holes”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

There are some really exciting holes here to challenge any handicap. There are some long walks between a few of the holes, but the quality is worth it - especially if you have a buggy! The course has a lot of pleasant undulations and thousands of trees, but the fairways are quite generous. Watch out for the big pond. Only the brave (and big hitters) try to cut the corner.

Visited November 2012
lincolnshire
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“First class”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having been to Vilamoura,the last three years, it amazes me the quality of the golf courses, and this is another cracker. Sponge like fairways, slick greens beautifully manicured with some stunning properties in the grounds ( check out the infinity pool in the villa off the 2nd) Quinta North was worth every euro. Hard to pick out outstanding holes as there are so many and varied. Played Vale de Lobo last year, but I think this is set out better as the villas arent so oppressive and less numerous.
Our organiser booked through your golf travel and on the ticket it said buggies were included, but on arrival was informed this wasnt the case. The guy said it wasnt the first time this had happened, so be aware if youve booked through them. They honoured the booking after some negotiation and believe me you will need them, as, seems to be a feature of courses in the area, there are some mighty long walks, roads to cross and hills to negotiate on this track.
There were ten of us and we were hoping to play 3,3,4 but were informed two would have to be paired up with another couple. As it happened two lads were paired up with a nice elderly Scottish couple but it could have been a nightmare scenario if it was someone who couldnt play or you didnt get on with.
Stopped for a drink and some food after the round, and if memory serves, I paid about 12 euro for a coronation chicken baguette and fries. Very tasty it was too. Staff were attentive and friendly, and the view over the course from the verandah is lovely.
Were all golf club members, so are serious about our golf, and nobody had a bad word to say about the place. Well worth consideration, although I do understand the Algarve has an embarassment of riches when it comes to golf, but for the deal we got this was fantastic.

Scotland
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Good resort course”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Played before and is still in very good condition, managed a four hour round which is good for Quinta.
Were very disappointed to come across sprinklers on at quite a few greens, playing of six i take the game seriously, however always worth a game when in the Algarve,

Visited September 2013