We stayed at the hotel whilst renovations were underway. We would not recommend that anyone expecting a 5 star hotel stays there whilst this work is being done.
The hotel lobby was closed so there was no access to the hotel from the car park. The only functioning entrance was via an external staircase to the grill restaurant. This is also not convenient for the rooms which are then accessed via the emergency exit staircase after negotiating further stairs and corridors. To our knowledge there were no useful lifts which meant that golf clubs and trolley batteries had to be transported long distances up and down stairs before and after each round of golf.
There were limited restaurant facilities too. In fact, one evening the only dinner available in the hotel was a valentines special in a small room which was fully booked, so we were forced to go and eat elsewhere. Not what we expect from a 5 star hotel.
The hotel offers a lunch at the golf club to make up for the inconvenience. The lunch is served buffet style, choices were very limited and had been out for some time. We opted for coffee with our lunch and this was charged, surely one basic drink should have been included!
The hotel advertises free wifi. This was done by means of a ticket with a code which had to be resubmitted every 10 to 15 minutes. This was very frustrating and inconvenient.
The hotel staff were very good and were working very hard to try to make up for the inconvenience of the renovations, but it is our opinion that the management should have closed the hotel at least whilst the lobby is being done.
There are a number of pictures of the new rooms in reception. To our knowledge these rooms are not yet available, so it really felt like our noses were being rubbed in it.
We are not in the habit of writing poor reviews but we feel very strongly that anyone wanting a good hotel in the Algarve should go elsewhere until the renovations are guaranteed to be finished. This is not likely to be soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the Atlantic, located a mere 100 metres from the beach and the proud owner of the renown San Lorenzo Golf Course, Dona Filipa Hotel welcomes all, with a touch of glamour and the essence of true quality and personalized service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Dona Filipa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dona Filipa & San Lorenzo Golf Hotel Almancil
- Dona Filipa And San Lorenzo Golf Resort
- Meridien Almancil
- Le Meridien Almancil
- Almancil Le Meridien
- Dona Filipa Hotel Portugal/Algarve - Almancil