“Great last night”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have dined at this Restaurant before and it never let's you down, a five star experience with great staff and food.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have been coming to this part of the Algarve for 10 years and love this restaurant. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. We sat outside on the lovely terrace as it was a warm evening. Although it was very busy our drinks arrived very quickly and we did not have to wait long for our food. The Seabass and dourada are always very fresh and the steak is very good. We had a good bottle of wine which the waiter recommended which was not expensive.They do not have a childrens menu but will do a smaller portion,
We will definately be coming back !!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Let me open with admitting that I'm a child of the 80s and still quite partial to a prawn cocktail or flambé desert but this place needs to get their act together. The decor is nice but nothing special and the restaurant is swarming with waiting staff, which makes it even worse when you realise that you've been waiting for 15 minutes for someone to bring you your wine.

The menu, despite its size (A3, I think) is very limited. Every dish name is translated four times and every dish is not just rooted in the 80s but is the 80s and I'm talking about mullets and flammable track suits kind of 80s.

We went based on its location and reputation and were thoroughly disappointed. My biggest personal gripe is how limited the selection of the wined you can order by glass is. This is extra disappointing when you consider that the only way to reach this place is by car.

I have nonhorror stories about this places but, overall, it's one of most disappointing meals I've had in 4 years that I've been coming to this part of Algarve.

1  Thank Eddieha
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Haven eaten here before within the past twelve months I found myself in Quinta and decided to pay Alambique a visit, as it was ok the last time ! It was VERY busy and it was just after nine in the evening, I did not book. We were met by one of the 'guys" there he said that they were full but offered us a table in twenty min, we greed. I got a beer and my friend got a glass of champagne(local) on the house an hour had passed and we were on our second drink ~ we got moved to our table and we ordered, Grilled Prawns as a starter and Sea Bass and a Filet Steak ! Prawns arrived after 45 min and were very poor (small and tired) was very disappointed, and they were €17 very poor value (high was robbery if you asked me) another hr passed and our mains arrived ! it is now approaching 24.00 Mid night ! 23.45 to be exact, we had asked a number of times where our main course were ~ the steak was very very poor for a fillet it was NOT good not tender the Sea Bass was ok we just wanted to eat and leave ~ we mentioned this to the owner who was going from table to table he was "shocked" and offered us to re cook the meal ~ it was now 00.35 ! he was too slick for my liking (we should have asked him to do it tomorrow) ~ if he spent more time in the Kitchen looking after the food being prepared / cooked he would be better off, instead of luffing up to the punters, we were not the only people with a problem. I am sad to have to write this but this was our experience he did leave the Prawns off the bill, but what a waste of time and money for such a poor experience ~ the best thing he could have done would have been to send us away at the outset and he would have done us a favor !

Reviewed August 29, 2013

To give some context - I've come to this part of the Algarve almost every year for the last twenty years and the variety and high standard of the restaurants is something that keeps me coming back. I hadn't been to Alambique since I was a child but reasoned that it must be good if it has survived this long.
First impressions - the restaurant was lively and buzzing with lots of large groups dining. It is by no means a fashionable space but I quite liked the atmosphere despite the slightly naff decor. The menus are absolutely vast and when you open them you realise why. Each item on the menu is translated four times which always makes me think 'tourist trap'. The wine list was virtually unreadable owing to its tiresome 80s layout and bizarre font. Considering you can only reach this restaurant by car, it's disappointing that very few wines are available by the glass.
The food on offer was a throw back to the 80s, too. Duck with orange, steak with peppercorn sauce, lamb chops with mint sauce - you get the picture. But I find a strange, nostalgic comfort in this sort of cuisine if its done well. Sadly, it really wasn't. We got a pre starter dish on the house which was a cold, greasy bit of battered sardine. Not nice. The starter was smoked swordfish which was the texture of an inner tube and far too salty. Again, not pleasant. The main course was sole with banana. This was the best bit of the meal but again the fish was not hot enough and was a bit limp and greasy. It also desperately needed some sauce. The side dish of vegetables were mushy, tasteless, cold and overcooked. Overall, it wasn't a patch on the sole and banana served at Izzy's beach restaurant a mile away.
Service was very pleasant but a bit slow despite the cast of thousands.
Overall, I'm baffled by the other glowing reviews.

1  Thank lsq