“Pricey, but definitely recommended”
Review of Pig & Whistle

Pig & Whistle
Ranked #23 of 152 Restaurants in Almancil
Cuisines: Contemporary, European, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Pricey, but definitely recommended”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We visited the Pig & Whistle when we first stayed at Villar do Golf in 2010, it was the stand-out meal of the week for us so we returned this time. It was pretty pricey, but no more so than anywhere else in the area, and unlike the Lemon Tree (I fail to see why that is so popular I’m afraid, we were very disappointed with it), it’s well worth the money.

Book a table outdoors, it gets unbearably hot inside, and there’s a lovely little courtyard outside – even though when we visited the evenings had turned cooler, it was really warm outside.

The menu is pretty small, but they go for quality rather than quantity, and they have some really original, inventive choices. The meal sizes are good, the wine is good, the staff are welcoming, friendly and obliging. Both times we visited, the food was delicious, and I cannot fault the experience at all - it will definitely be on my 'things to do' list next time we go to Portugal.

(The reason I have rated 'Familes with children' as poor is because it's a small place with an intimate atmosphere, families may not feel comfortable, but that's just my opinion)

What more can I say…(other than GO!)

1 Thank WeSayItAsItIs
Pigandwhistle, Owner at Pig & Whistle, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear all from Bristol. I am glad you enjoyed your experience when visiting our restaurant and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the Algarve . Mike

“So glad we tried it!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We've stayed in the Almancil area 3 times within the last year, and have passed this restaurant by on numerous occasions, opting for the more 'popular' restaurants in the Quinta do Lago and Vale do Lobo areas. This time I was determined to give the Pig and Whistle a go, and I was not disappointed. Firstly my husband called the restaurant in advance to book, but the number rang out. We were somewhat impressed when the restaurant called us back, and a reservation was made for later that evening. A warm welcome awaited us when we arrived. It was the middle of Oct so it wasn't overly busy, but the restaurant is fairly small so I'd recommend booking in high season.

We aren't overly familiar with Portuguese wines but our waitress was very helpful and allowed us to sample a few different wines before deciding. She explained that Portuguese wines were quite varied, so it was great to be able to sample before deciding. The 'cover' included a tomato and mozzarella dish which made a nice change to the sardine paste that's served up everywhere else. The menu was varied and included something for all tastes..

I opted for the homemade seafood pie, and. Hubby had chicken liver parfait. I was blown away by the presentation, and was the best presentation we'd seen all week. The food was fresh and delicious. Main course was a fillet steak for me, and pork medallions for hubby. Cooked exactly as we'd asked, and they were good portion sizes. We just about managed to squeeze in some pudding. Profiteroles with hot chocolate sauce, and cheese and biscuits. These just about pushed us over the edge!

A lovely surprise was when Mike the owner came out and introduced himself, and was genuinely keen to meet us. It really topped off our evening. At this point we were so pleased that we'd given this little restaurant a try, we most certainly weren't disappointed. I could kick myself for having passed it by on so many occasions, and opting for the more 'trendy' places.

We have really fallen for Portugal, so will no doubt be back, and will most certainly be choosing to spend our time and money here. The food was faultless in my eyes, the service was lovely, and I have to say that the toilets were spotless with some nice added touches that didn't go unnoticed. Can't wait to return. Please give it a try.

Paula & Rob 13th Oct 2012

Hi Paula and Rob. I am always pleased when people finally discover our restaurant and then take the time to review the experience they had. I am pleased that you had a wonderful evening and we all look forward to welcoming you back. Mike
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Find, A must if in Almancil!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Saw some good reviews for this on Trip Advisor and have to say it deffinately lived up to the hype!! Food was fantastic, reasonably priced with very good servings and the staff were lovely.

Worth the trip back, just for this restaurant!

• Visited September 2012
Pigandwhistle, Owner at Pig & Whistle, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Pedders. Glad you have discovered our restaurant and also want to thank you for writing about your experience when visiting us. Now you have found us don't be a stranger . Mike
Lake District England
“Food Good”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Went to the Pig and Whistle, the food was good, my husband enjoyed the cod and it was excellent although I thought there wasn,t a big choice for myself. We had treacle pudding after which was very good although a rarther small portion.The wine I thought was rarther expensive in comparison to other restaurants. All in all good although in my opinion there are other restaurants in the vicinity with better choices and .less expensive.Would I go again doubtful

• Visited September 2012
Pigandwhistle, Owner at Pig & Whistle, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Finaiden, i am glad you seemed to enjoy, especially your husband, the food at the restaurant. We do have a wide variety of choice, from fresh fish and all the meats. We cater for vegetarians and have a healthy children's menu too. Our wine is priced from 9€ to 24€ offering a variety of flavours of wine. which knowing other restaurants in the area i am confident that the food and wine selection; are keenly priced. Pleased do come again, as our menu changes through the year as the chef enjoys creating new tastes and flavours to compliment the food for our clients, and hopefully on your next trip you may find something new that tickles your fancy. Mike
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely little restaurant.”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We enjoyed a lovely meal in the Pig & Whistle. The food was actually amazing and we couldn't fault the service. The staff were very attentive and polite. We were in quite late and thought is was a nice touch that the chef came and spoke to us and we were all given a complimentary drink of whatever we wanted. Not the cheapest prices however you do get what you pay for. Well worth a visit for anyone in the area.

• Visited September 2012
Dear Sapphire, i am glad you enjoyed your evening whilst visiting our restaurant, and pleased that you took the time to write on here to share that experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip to the Algarve. Mike