“Amazing views, amazing service, great people!”

Chicama Surf Hotel & Spa
“Amazing views, amazing service, great people!”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We absolutely loved it here! It wasn't very crowded, which was really nice, and we met a variety of people from the US, Brazil, London, and some local Peruvians who came and went on the weekends. The view of Chicama is breathtaking, and it is a sight to see...the first thing when you wake up, and the last thing you see when you take a nap/watch the sunset. Everyone (the staff and Christian, who was managing the place, while we were there) were VERY friendly, helpful and accommodating. And the FOOD was delicious!!! My husband (who's a goofy foot) was wishing for a bigger swell while were were down there, but he still had a blast. And, I had a great time, once I got used to the layout of the spot. It is a really fun wave. Eat, sleep, surf, soak. Repeat. That's pretty much the drill. We definitely want to come back at some point in time...I felt safe, the food was delicious and fresh, great bar, service was top-notch, and it was just a good vibe, all-around!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KONAgirl79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Travelling for a year
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This hotel is not in Trujillo but is a good couple of hours drive north. We stopped here on our way to Chiclayo to relax and watch the surfers (we are not surfers ourselves). The hotel was lovely and relaxing, with nice rooms and a great pool. There were not many people when we were there and unfortunately the surf was not good so we saw little surfing.

The food was good, but little choice for vegetarians.

We enjoyed walking close by to the hotel including down the beach and into the village.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floors so that you have a sea view.
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Desk-Escape-com
ChicamaSurfResort, General Manager at Chicama Surf Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Thank you for your review and posting it on Tripadvisor. We really value your input and try to use your feedback in order to improve the resort every day. Therefore we are pleased to let you know that we have improved our menu with about 20 new dishes including a newer and larger variety of vegetarian dishes and salads.

Best regards and again thank you for your feedback,

your Chicama Surf Hotel & Spa Team
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed at Chicama Surf Hotel and Spa from July 25, 2011 through August 2, 2011. We have been on many international surf trips to surf resorts, and Chicama Surf Hotel and Spa has been our best experience yet.

The surf was fantastic, even on small days, with the longest rides of our life. I have a video of my daughter that shows her time riding the wave at 1 minute 28 seconds, and that was not at all unusual. We opted for the inflatable boat transfer service offered by the resort and it was wonderful, as it greatly enhanced our wavecount and prevented early exhaustion. There is a strong current from the south almost always, and it would be almost impossible to paddle back to the point after a 1.0 to 1.8 km ride or set of rides.

The water in Peruvian "winter" was still about the same temperature as SoCal in the spring, and although there was the local equivalent of June Gloom, the sun did break out gloriously at mid-day. The constant offshore winds, while cool, groomed the surf to near perfection. Even when they were very strong, the surf was well shaped and open faced near the shelter of the cliffs by the point.

The surf alone would be sufficient to bring us back, but the hotel facilities, food, services and staff were superb and created a luxurious environment between surf sessions. Relaxing in the hot tub on the top deck after a session, watching perfect uncrowded waves peel endlessly, munching on canchitas (giant fresh corn nuts), while sipping a drink was a real pleasure. The menu at breakfast, lunch and dinner in our all inclusive package was varied and excellent and provided an overview of the sophisticated cuisine of Peru.

I could go on for hours about the smiling and helpful staff. They made every effort to make our stay almost effortless. The guys in the surfboard and wetsuit storage area even helped me unpack and pack our boards and even took off the fins on our day of departure. My son tore the seam in his wetsuit and one of the team memebers repaired it better than some professionals in the States. The restaurant staff was always smiling and charming and catered to our every need.

I recommend taking some of the tours of the local archeological treasures as they are unique and interesting. The sites of Huaca del Sol y Luna, Chan Chan and El Brujo are worthy of time away from the waves and to let your arms rest a bit. We did not visit any of the other surf breaks, but will do so on our next trip. Chicama was sufficient to keep us entertained for eight days in a row.

I wholeheartedly recommend Chicama Surf Hotel and Spa to any discerning surf traveller. The overall experience was delightful and postive.

Room Tip: Do the all inclusive package. It is not worth it to scrimp.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank R0gerS55
Brielle, New Jersey
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I just returned from my third trip to the Chicama Surf Hotel & Spa and I am happy to say that it is not only as good as I remember it’s even better.
The resort offers all of the amenities any traveler could ask for regardless of whether you are there for surfing with your buddies or just to relax and enjoy the spa and beach with your family and friends.
The staff is very professional yet friendly and approachable. You are treated like a friend not just another tourist. It is the attention to detail that really makes staying here so special. From sitting by the fireplace in the main bar and dining area enjoying a drink in the evening after a great day of surfing to the dance troupe of local children performing a traditional dance routine in the evening following a great dinner or even having one of the guys repair a ding to your surfboard so your ready to go the following morning. It’s this attention to detail and commitment to making your stay relaxing and carefree that makes this such a wonderful place to stay in this very special part of the world.
Cheers and enjoy!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kevin_P_313
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2011

The resort itself is excellent! The service is incredible, the girls in the restuarent are lovely, the guys who run the boat and surfing services are so friendly and excited to help you surf, management are helpful and flexible. The town is cool (very small). Great getaway for surfers and my fiance enjoyed the 4 days relaxing in a lovely, safe resort before getting back into the busy South American cities and crazy travelling life. Perfect getaway, and we got waves so even better!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in a top floor room so you can see the surf
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
pawqara
Reviewed March 15, 2011

An excellent place to relax and enjoy doing nothing. My only complaint is that, being Peruvian, I know of the food possibilities and availability. They only offered two varieties of fresh juice (pineapple and papaya), and other flavors were only processed canned juice. The diversity of dishes was also very lame. Only a handful of main course dishes. I mean, the few we tried were absolutely delicious (fish on mandarine sauce, fish "a la chorrillana"), but it was very disappointing they couldn't offer more things. We went to the local town (5 minutes walking) and visited the local market. We found all the mangoes I was dreaming about, and a gigantic selection of fruits and fish at extremely cheap prices. We ate lunch at a local small restaurant for a ridiculous cheap price that offer a a menu three times as varied as Chicama Surf's. Seriously, that area is land of oranges, mandarines, mangoes, passion fruit, peaches, and the bar only had plain and normal pisco sour and other traditional and classic drinks. I suppose if you are not aware of the possibilities it would be wonderful, but with all the Peruvian food boom and the closeness to a local town, I find them at fault for not trying.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank pawqara
new york
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I took my wife and twin 20 year old children to Chicama Surf Hotel for 3 days of surfing and was thrilled by everything.

The manager, Miguel Oordt, was great, helpful, patient and full of tips, humor and charm.

Everyone who worked there was warm and kind.

The rooms where comfortable and very clean. The food and Pisco sours where perfect.

Although the surfing instructors spoke mostly Spanish and my family spoke English, we had no trouble communicating. The instruction was excellent. One of my children is an accomplished intermediate surfer, while the other, my wife and myself are real beginners. The resort provided wet suits, surf boards and anything else that we needed.

The only thing I would have changed is to have brought my own wet suit, booties and hat, but that said, I will on my next visit.

This is a must go to destination if you are a surfer traveling in Peru.
Steve

La Estacion Pacasmayo Hotel
Los Burritos Hostal
Los Burritos Hostal
#2 of 5 in Puerto Malabrigo

Been to Chicama Surf Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!