“Bad condition”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Honningsvag
Vienna
“Bad condition”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

The first room we got looked ok, but it had a window to the parking place at the back of the hotel. This place is used by busses, and there are a lot of them. I was warned by earlier reviews, that the noise of their motors can be heard half the night. So we changed room and got one in the older part of the hotel (left part). This room seemed to be very old. It looked disgusting. We were not sure, if it was the right decession, to change rooms, but we accepted the situation as it was. In the morning, I had the chance to take a look at the other rooms (when they got cleaned). At this part of the hotel, they all were awful.

The restaurant was really ok. Prices and number of different meals as everywhere in Norway....
Breakfast buffet also was ok.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I read that when you go that far north, you should consider yourself lucky to find a place to rest. I guess the Rica hotel understood that and, as it must be rather rare that a client returns there, they ensure that you will pay a lot for not much. Most of the clients there are on a bus tour. When we arrived, we had to wait outside as 2 busses were checking in. Then it took almost an hour to be able to use the elevator, as the tour groups were using it. Never had a so small hotel room in all my life. We had 2 suitcases and I had to bing one back to the car. As I was given an internet access card, I tried to connect. As it was not working, I contacted the front desk to be told that they had experienced problems recently with the WI FI in some sections of the hotel. The were expecting the problem to be resolved in a near future !!!. I was told to come down in the lobby with my laptop because it was working there. But with all those tours, there was not a single chair available .Then I asked for the Sauna. Same thing. It is out of order and they were expecting to have it repaired withing a week or 2. But the worse happened in the morning. Imagine 5 tour busses that are scheduled to leave between 8:30 and 9:00 am. Over 200 people invading the restaurant for breakfast between 7:30 and 8:00, they all bring down their luggages at the same time and, as it was raining, they were jamming the lobby awaiting for the busses to pick them up. The only positive side at that place was our dinner in the Hotel Dining room. As the bus tours had their dinner in other rooms, that place was almost empty. We had a great dinner with a very good service All that for over 200 Euros per night!!!. If you are reading this review, it is probably because you are planning a trip to that area. And, despite all what is said, you will probaby end-up in that hotel because there is really not many hotels to choose from in that area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Honningsvag hotels

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Hotel in itself is ok, but totally lacking in charm, that is fairly typical of smalltown Norwgian hotels. I was there on business and I have no idea how much the room cost and thus cannot say anything about the value for money. Also left too early for breakfast, so cannot say anything about that either. However, if you travel with VIPs, be careful! I have never experienced so much hassle at check in and check out. It was embarassing and irritiating and I would not use the hotel for this purpose again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
London, England
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Just as a factory can do a job without being pretty, the Rica Hotel Honningsvag processes vast numbers of tour bus guests in batches of 40 at a time to provide somewhere for them all to rest prior to the final push to Nordkapp. Strangely, I used more German at this hotel than I used last time I went to Frankfurt as the clientele are predominantly middle aged German holiday makers.
The service is friendly enough and the rooms functional in a Russian kind of way so nothing to complain about there.
Breakfast is disappointing, suffering from batches of people coming through en-mass and therefore causing a lot of congestion around the buffet. You can buy a drink in the bar area but strangely there is no physical bar with a barman. There is a bar across the road called Brygges which is very friendly and lively when they have a band on.
The location is great, right next to the Hurtigruten ferry terminal and tourist office and the rooms looking out towards the fjord benefit from fantastic views as you can watch the cruise ships coming in and out.
In reality, there is not much choice on hotels in Honningsvag, and if you want to be picky there is a huge amount you could find fault with at this hotel. However, if you just need somewhere to sleep which is within stumbling distance of the Hurtigruten for an 06:15 sailing then you can at least book this knowing what you are going to get.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed June 1, 2009

This hotel is old and its quality is very low.
I loved just the view over the harbour from my window.
Staff was lazy and not helpfull.
Breakfast was quite good but too many tourists were around .

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank norvegiasara
Palma
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Very poor vaule for the money we payed. Room very little, bathroom not in good conditions. I don't recomend this hotel. You can try other accomodation if you are looking for a good service.

• Liked — Place, staff
  • Disliked — All
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 13, 2006

I stayed one night in Honningsvag, Norway to visit Nordkapp. I arrived via the Hurtigruten Coastal ferry and also toured Nordkapp (the North Cape) arranged through Hurtigruten. I chose this hotel because it is one of the largest in Honningsvag. Upon check in, two women were working the front desk. The older one was not very accommodating but I think her shift was ending. The younger one worked into the evening.

I requested and was given a non-smoking room on the 3rd floor with a harbor view. However, smoking was apparently allowed on the adjacent wing, where a tour group was staying, and it drifted into my room. The elevator and stairway areas also became smokey. As the evening progressed, I decided I could not stay in that room. The younger woman, who was the only one at the desk, was able to offer me a "true" non-smoking room, but it was on the first floor, which meant I no longer had a view. That was an OK trade. The room I was moved to also had a bigger bathroom.

The rooms were adequate, but nothing to get excited about. I'm not sure how recently they were renovated, but they could probably use it again. They seemed to be a bit well worn. Most rooms have a shower only, but did have heated floors in the bathroom. The size of the rooms were average.

I had an early morning flight and the breakfast buffet was not open. However, they offered to pack a breakfast for me, which ended up consisting mostly of bread and lunchmeat (sandwiches are popular breakfast food in Scandinavia). My flight was at 6:45 AM and I was advised to get to the airport one hour before the flight. I arrived at 5:45 and found that the airport did not open until 6 AM! However, someone was there before 6 AM to open it up (and I think was a bit surprised to see someone there waiting already!).

I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant. I arrived before opening time, but they went ahead and seated me. I was the only one in the restaurant. The salmon was quite good.

The hotel offers free internet access in the lobby and sells artwork and books by a local artist/writer. I don't recall there being a sauna, jacuzzi, or fitness room.

The hotel is located on one end of Honningsvag and it is easy to walk around the town--it is not very big. There also is not much to do. There is an "ice bar"--a much smaller version of the one in Sweden, but if you are not going to get to the one in Sweden, it's an OK substitute. Of historical note is the church--it is the only structure in Honningsvag that pre-dates WWII. During the German occupation of Norway, the church was used for one of their headquarters. That may be why it was spared when the Germans left Norway and burned everything in the north so the allies would not find anything of value that they could use.

The main attraction in this part of Norway is Nordkapp--the North Cape. Honningsvag is the closest town to Nordkapp. You will need transportation to get to Nordkapp. The public buses were not running yet when I was there and the only organized tour I was aware of was through Hurtigruten. Hurtigruten's tour was in the afternoon, which meant I did not get to see the midnight sun at Nordkapp. However, I did see it in Honningsvag. Nordkapp is a year-round destination: in the winter, people go there to see the Northern Lights.

There are not a lot of accommodation choices in Honningsvag. Out of the ones available, judging from the others I walked by, I would say the Rica Hotel is the best.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honningsvag
Scandic Bryggen
#2 of 2 in Honningsvag
No photo provided
Northcape Guesthouse
#1 of 2 in Honningsvag

Been to Scandic Honningsvag? Share your experiences!