All reviewsschloss bensbergvalet serviceluxurious hotelan italian restaurantspa areathree starreception desknice barhotel barstar michelin restaurantdali barenotecasuitevendomeluxurygermanywellness
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This hotel is a real gem. Whether you are visiting Cologne or the surrounding area, this hotel is an amazing place to stay. As they would say in German, the "Preisleistungsverhaeltnis" is off the charts. I was there for a conference and business dinner, but I could just as well see bringing my family to this hotel. You'll never stay anywhere quite like it. The contents of the minibar are gratis (even the beer) and so is the internet connection.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
trastulloatschloss, Manager at Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear jamesboykin,

Thank you for sharing your great feedback with us. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Best regards,
Annika Trastullo

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I love this hotel, and I have stayed there three times before. I have another reservation for next month.

I go to Dusseldorf for trade shows, and it can take me 45 minutes to get to the show facility from downtown where prices are over 200 Euros for an Ibis. Cologne is more reasonably priced, and just outside Cologne, the Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg is still only 45 minutes from the show facility in Dusseldorf. I have never paid more than 150 Euros for the room, and that is much cheaper than most other offerings during a large trade show.

The rooms are roomy and nice with high ceilings. The indoor pool is welcome as I like to get my exercise in early in the morning. Breakfast is typical for the better hotels in Germany.

The view from the hotel is stunning. You have a full view of Cologne. Just outside the hotel is a very nice street with shops and restaurants.

I have stayed at more luxurious hotels, but this one is quite good and very well-priced for the area. This is my standard choice now on each trip to Cologne/Dusseldorf.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jonathan B
Reviewed September 19, 2013

stayed here as our last night after 14 nights touring Europe, for a special night what a waste of money !! 275 euros a night, tiny room , restaurant shut 3/4 days a week forced into an Italian in the basement, only one course each & bottle of wine , 8 euros for bread so bill 130 euros for pasta , service slow , full & hot ,went for breakfast another 40 euros on top of 275 Euros then my car appeared another 22 euros for parking on site
Beds old & noisey , well ness center a 5 minute walk up & down floors in lift, nothing friendly about it start to finish, we cancelled breakfast left & enjoyed one up the road for 10 euros, no way would I recomend this place

Room Tip: overlooking the front lawn not on 3rd floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank peter k
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Certainly not the most expensive or the most luxurious hotel I've stayed in but probably the best overall. An upgrade to a junior suite helped!
The hotel is a little outside Cologne and a 25 minute (pretty) trip on the train taking you right into the city centre. The station itself a 10 minute walk from the hotel.
The hotel is large and imposing in an elevated position and certainly from our suite one could see the Cathedral.
Our room was beautifully appointed, large, full of light and full of fruit - not just an apple and a few grapes here. The one issue I had was that I hate duvets however good the aircon. One quick phone call and the bed was made up with sheets and blankets.
Unfortunately the 3* Vendôme was closed for the summer holidays so we had to make do with Enoteca; perfectly fine and it saved us a lot of money . Breakfasts were a delight - what ever you wanted cooked for you together with a massive cold table, fruit and excellent Viennoiserie.
We arrived by car and drove directly into the garage but if you want to arrive in style pull up to the front and your car will be taken to the garage.
If you don't have a car then they do - 2 nice BMW 750 - leather seats piped in red and each headrest crested SB. A good used car buy when they come to sell particularly if your name your name is S. Bercow .

All the carpeting drapes and art work in the world do not make a great hotel but in Schloss Bensberg they have assembled a top team. To use the German way of expressing niceness - super efficient - super nice and super friendly. All of them speak better English than I do - Welsh as well probably.
They have a very refreshing local water - Gerolsteiner - and I had asked them about it. When we picked up the bill the young lady handed me a bag with two bottles of water for our journey. Then she looked inside and swapped them for Gerolsteiner because she remembered my asking about it. Cost them a few pennies but it was a gold bar to me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeorgeDaymond
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Beautiful grounds, friendly staff, nice spa, excellent restaurants, and well appointed comfortable rooms. You can't go wrong if you're looking for a short break, or a romantic getaway. The hotel offers BMW shuttle service to Köln for shopping (if you even feel like leaving). Jr. Suites are perfect, but avoid the rooms in the roof if possible. They are lovely as well, but just not as grand as the suites on the lower floors. Excellent hotel. Excellent staff. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends