All reviewsschloss bensbergvalet serviceluxurious hotelan italian restaurantspa areathree starreception deskhotel barstar michelin restaurantdali barenotecasuitevendomeluxurygermanywellnessminibar
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I always enjoy this hotel. It has style and charm, along with excellent service. The bar provides a warm and delightful respite from a busy day, expecially by the fire...........................................................................

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Within view of the Dome of Cologne, a heavenly retreat for relaxing. If you want to be near the City (20 minutes by car) but still in the countryside, this is the place to go.
As in all Althoff Hotels, the staffs attitude is outstanding, discret but always ready to assist.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013

When you arrive at the Grandhotel Bensberg you are immediately taken aback by the sheer grandiosity of the property. It´s a beautiful castle nestled in the very center of the town. During check-in the front desk staff, who were very kind and courteous, informed us that our room had been upgraded - what a good surprise! Our room was quite large with high ceilings and impressive windows that look onto the property. The room is comfortable and handsome at a first glance, but lacks charm. The furniture is not particularly attractive and the beds are very simply made, constituting of one hard pillow for each guest and a down comforter with no sheet in between. One does expect more from a hotel of this caliber. I looked around the room for another pillow, but there was none to be found. We ended up requesting two additional pillows. The schloss is quite enchanting but I think the enchantment ends when you walk into the guestrooms, very impersonal décor and just lacking in quality. Our breakfast in the large main dining room was quite good, service was attentive and pleasant. But the best part of our stay was dining at gourmet restaurant Vendôme housed at the front of the grand hotel. It is now ranked #10 in the "San Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants" list. A well deserved ranking for this great restaurant headed by 3-star chef Joachim Wissler, who is known to be one of the best representatives of the so-called "New German Cuisine". His dishes are quite inventive and modern, using local ingredients, Mr. Wissler takes us on a sensorial adventure of flavors and scents with great visual pomp. The amuse-bouches are inventive and refined, this is where Mr. Wissler is at his best … he embraces this opportunity to the fullest in showing us his true genius and it is a delight to see. Our tasting menu was excellent, but I did not care much for our main course of lamb which comes with lamb sweetbreads and liver. I found the flavors to be too overpowering, otherwise the dish was perfect. The room is simple and elegant with a handsome and understated décor, great lighting, large comfortable swivel chairs and nicely space out tables dot the dining area. Service was excellent, friendly and very attentive. The only unfortunate experience was the non-alcoholic pairing that the sommelier suggested, because I do not drink; 50 Euros for a glass of apple juice, tomato and root beer … an absurd price when you consider that the wine pairing is 70! I found this to be very unfortunate and just not right, for me, it did put a little dent (in my wallet) on an otherwise sublime experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Guilherme R
trastulloatschloss, Manager at Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Guilherme,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment about your stay.
We feel very sorry that you could not enjoy your stay at the Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg to the fullest. We are disappointed that you have a negative experience with your room. We must apologize for the inconveniences you had. This is not the highest standard our hotel usually offers.
We hope very much to be able to greet you again in the near future to persuade you of our excellent service.
Dear Guilherme, we would be very pleased to welcome you again.

Kindest regards from Bensberg
Laura Kohlgrüber

Reviewed March 2, 2013

A very good hotel, very friendly staff. My room was not available, and they gave me an upgrade to the presidential room. One of the best and biggest hotel rooms I stayed in. The breakfast was also very good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in February 2013 while attending a conference.

It has a magnificent facade - it looks fabulous from the outside - and is rather nice inside, as well. It's on a grand scale, as befits a 'Granhotel' - speculation by one of our party that the family of the original builder may have died out because he could never find his wife's bedroom...

My room was pretty magnificent and even had a telephone by the toilet! Very handy if you run out of loo roll.

But strangely it was not warm - the heating had not been turned up. Once I found out how to do it, all was well but it was a slightly jarring experience - wonderful furnishings in a sumptuous room and seeing one's breath hanging in the air! Food was from the standard menu and was fine. Breakfast was OK - the sausages were as good as one would expect in Germany although they seemed to have prepared the bacon to American tastes: crispy to the point of disintegrating as soon as you looked at them.

An astonishing situation in an expensive hotel - there was NO Wi-Fi in the bedrooms, although they said it was being fitted during March. You could get 30 minutes' free Wi-Fi in the Reception area but if you wanted all-day access, you had to pay for it - @ €17. Come off it, guys, I pay less than that per month for my home connection, including Wi-Fi. That's a bit cheapskate: you get a better deal at Travelodge.

Anyway, overall: a pleasant interlude in a wonderful setting. It looks great and the view out of the bedrooms windows is generally fabulous. Sort out the minor niggles that really should be beneath a grand hotel and you will have a memorable offer.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business