I stayed at this hotel in February 2013 while attending a conference.
It has a magnificent facade - it looks fabulous from the outside - and is rather nice inside, as well. It's on a grand scale, as befits a 'Granhotel' - speculation by one of our party that the family of the original builder may have died out because he could never find his wife's bedroom...
My room was pretty magnificent and even had a telephone by the toilet! Very handy if you run out of loo roll.
But strangely it was not warm - the heating had not been turned up. Once I found out how to do it, all was well but it was a slightly jarring experience - wonderful furnishings in a sumptuous room and seeing one's breath hanging in the air! Food was from the standard menu and was fine. Breakfast was OK - the sausages were as good as one would expect in Germany although they seemed to have prepared the bacon to American tastes: crispy to the point of disintegrating as soon as you looked at them.
An astonishing situation in an expensive hotel - there was NO Wi-Fi in the bedrooms, although they said it was being fitted during March. You could get 30 minutes' free Wi-Fi in the Reception area but if you wanted all-day access, you had to pay for it - @ €17. Come off it, guys, I pay less than that per month for my home connection, including Wi-Fi. That's a bit cheapskate: you get a better deal at Travelodge.
Anyway, overall: a pleasant interlude in a wonderful setting. It looks great and the view out of the bedrooms windows is generally fabulous. Sort out the minor niggles that really should be beneath a grand hotel and you will have a memorable offer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a truly fantastic location, high above the Cologne lowlands and with a wonderful view of Cologne cathedral, one of the largest baroque palaces in Europe awaits you. It is the spirit of history that fills and enchants the 5 star Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg. The multitude of details from times long gone still tell tales of unique people and moments that characterise this building so much: Goethe and Beethoven, as well as Napoleon and the Medici family resided here. But today you can enjoy stylish luxury in the magnificent, historic chambers and in unmistakable Althoff ambience. Supplemented by personal service, Joachim Wissler's 3-star cuisine in the gourmet restaurant Vendome and a Beauty & Leading Spa that satisfies even the highest demands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg Hotel Bergisch Gladbach
- Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg Cologne
- Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg Hotel Cologne