“Time and space to relax in a homely environment”

Buttercross Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I meant to write up my review at the end of last year. We were new to the area and looking for property in the beautifull quaint, unspoilt village of Abbots Bromley and we stayed twice at Buttercross. Jayne, the owner was extremely accommodating and we took our two young girls without any problems at all. The rooms were clean, quirky and very comfortable. We used the top room which accommodated us and the girls in the small bed easily. I loved the bath and the toiletries and we all thought the breakfast was amazing and endless! The special thing about Buttercross which suited us was the living area that we could use once the girls had gone to sleep (we were close enough to hear if one woke up) whihc gave us the space and flexibility to enjoy a relaxed evening with lights and music on instead of being confined to the room. I also appreciated the access to the kitchen to make hot drinks. Finally Jayne is a great baker and the treats and brownies scattered about were too hard to resist for all of us and added a delightful homemade touch! Thanks for having us and looking after us so well.
D Woods and family

Room Tip: Top room is the largest and can accommodate a family
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrslambcake
JayneBR, Owner at Buttercross Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

How kind of you to remember us in this new year and I hope that your move went well! Thanks for your comments, we love having families to stay - more excuses to bake! We think its also important to have a space to relax other than your bedroom so really glad you appreciated it. All the best for 2013!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Buttercross and haven't stopped recommending it to friends and family since. The house is beautiful with quirky features and personal touches. We were made to feel very welcome and relaxed which was just what we needed during the hectic Christmas period. We particularly loved the home-made shortbread and brownies, and the emergency toiletries were original and thoughtful. A lovely cosy night's sleep was followed by a superb breakfast. Thank you Jayne for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
JayneBR, Owner at Buttercross Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

So happy that we were able to add to your festive experience; we particularly enjoy this time of year and the building lends itself well to all the festive decorations etc. Rum chocolate brownies and cinnamon shortbread help too!! Very often people stay when visiting relatives in the village and then decide to return to explore what Staffordshire has to offer, thanks for your comments and hopefully we will see you again in 2013. :)

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Wow what can I say its just perfect. We were attending a wedding locally and stayed at Buttercross Bed and Breakfast, its a beautiful place with lots of cute personal touches. We were slight nervous taking our two little boys with us but they just loved it and were very much welcomed. We were warmly greeted in with a cup of tea and homemade brownies (my boys were thrilled and went back for more). The room was lovely,clean and had everything we needed, lovely Lush products in the bathroom so much better than the normal rubbish stuff and an emergency bucket ( with essentials you may have forgotten) which is a great idea. Tea coffee, homemade biscuits (again loved by the boys). DVDs for the kids the Beds were so cosy the type you never want to get out of, but the smell of fresh coffee and home cooked breakfast got us out, the choice was great just as what we asked for. You could'nt ask for any more from a bed and breakfast so much so it does'nt seem right calling it a b&b as its so much more. I would recommend it to everyone, we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sally80westMidlands

We are always happy to welcome little ones - especially if they are house trained.....! We do try and accommodate everyone and I am always open to specific request, if its possible we will do it! Glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully see you again in 2013 x

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had stayed with Jayne back in July when some friends and I went to Alton Towers, and had a brilliant experience then.

See my first review below http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2620419-d2513231-Reviews-Buttercross_Bed_and_Breakfast-Abbots_Bromley_Staffordshire_England.html

This place is brilliant and on my return I realised its like going to an old friends house. I'm so glad I left this place as my last stop on my trip, everywhere else I stayed was rubbish and I'd had no sleep for 4 night because of my friends snoring.

Jayne rang me the day we were due to arrive and asked if I wouldn't mind swapping rooms as an elderly couple who had travelled a long way had just booked and wouldn't be able to manage the stairs to the attic. I had originally booked the Buttercross room but said I didn't mind as all the rooms were lovely. Jayne even reduced the room rate as she called it an 'inconvenience' :-) very sweet.

If you are staying on a Sunday night, be aware that nothing is open for food in the evenings!

As always I am very pleased to give this B&B my very best review.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

So lovely to see you again, and you were very kind to accommodate the other guests by switching rooms; i am glad it didn't detract from your stay. Its unfortunate that the local pubs don't serve food on a Sunday evening (they all do Sunday lunches), but the Indian Restaurant (which is superb) is open if you like that kind of cuisine. Thank you for your kind comments, feeling that you are visiting 'an old friend' is the best accolade and I am so glad the last stay of your break was so comfortable. See you again soon x

Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is a lovely small b&b with only a couple of rooms. The owners have been very thoughtful and guest-centred in the design of this place.The room I stayed in had everything you could possibly want (including emergency toiletries in case you had forgotten your own). There was fresh coffee, an incredible range of teas and home made cookies waiting in the room....not to mention the plate of home made Brownies in the dining room...

The whole place feels fresh, clean and new. The beds are very comfy, and the breakfast was excellent...It's superb value for money and I can't think of a bad thing to say! I will be returning next month!

Room Tip: If you are tall, you may want to avoid the rooms on the upper floor, as they are in the eaves of the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for your kind comments and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, looking forward to seeing you in Jan and will make sure you have Buttercross which doesn't have the sloping roof! :)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I arranged this accommodation after much searching around this area, trying to find something comfortable and clean in a nice place. This area of the country had been chosen because myself and two old school pals had got back in touch and wanted to meet up somewhere geographically central for the three of us.

Right from the moment I made the booking Jayne was thoroughly pleasant and organised and made me feel like it was going to be a good place to stay. I arranged to meet with Jayne in the early afternoon and then Jayne gave me the keys for the other two who were arriving later.

The place itself is lovely. Huge amounts of attention have been given to the decor and it has a womans touch without being at all fussy. The rooms were spotless and each one had a smart ensuite with shower, and as a bonus there was also an additional communal bathroom with a nice big bath. (I confess I took advantage of that before the others arrived!). Handily, the well-provisioned rooms are also equipped with bathrobes, so wandering around after a bath feels quite alright.

In the lounge area there was a Christmas tree, which complemented the little trees that seemed to be climbing the stairs, and a selection of teas, bottled water, and Jayne's homemade chocolate fudge brownies, which were delicious. I ate more than my fair share, obviously. Before going off to the pub we advised Jayne we would like breakfast at nine and left our completed breakfast forms in the lounge.

The next morning after a comfortable sleep - perhaps with a slight bit of traffic noise but very minor - we all rendezvous'd for breakfast which Jayne had started cooking (nice and quietly) and despite a large meal the evening before we all soon polished off a marvellous cooked breakfast washed down with fresh filter coffee.

Leaving such a lovely place was not easy. We agreed to come back again in Spring - this could be a regular event!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

It was great to have you and your friends to stay; we are getting more groups of friends coming because of our central location, also the fact that we don't live on the premises makes it feel as though the place is all for you for your stay! I look forward to seeing you in 2013 for your next get together :)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Everything you could wish for from the moment you are welcomed by Jayne. Fantastic interior design, very well appointed bedrooms and public areas. Comfy beds,white cotton linen and plump pillows, fluffy towels & robes, power showers, luxury shower gels, emergency bucket for those things you may have forgotten, pretty vintage crockery, fresh ground coffee, fresh milk, selecton of teas, home made cookies and brownies. Comfy lounge with i pod / deck & magazines, a house bathroom if you prefer a deep bath to your en suite shower.
Good choices and well cooked breakfasts. Lovely location over looking the village green and buttercross. Several places to dine out within a couple of mins walk.
A real find, excellent value, superb in every way.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lulu-Abz

So glad you found us and that your trip down from Scotland was worth it! Thanks for your comments, its great when people appreciate the detail in the premises - I hope that it makes a difference to your stay and makes it all the more memorable. :)

Been to Buttercross Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!