“Nice location, poor food!”

Les Relais d’Alsace
Ranked #39 of 66 Restaurants in Cergy
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The place is nicely located , next to Cergy harbour and the river Oise.

A few of us took "choucroute", supposed to be one of the specialities of the house. Result: no taste, greasy, lukewarm when the dish was served.
We ordered a ground meat steak for a kid, medium. it was served rare (bleeding should I say!!).

The service tries to make guests forget what they have in their dish, but the overall bad impression remains.
I would definetely not recommend this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Les Relais d’Alsace

Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you are American, do not go here. We were seated immediately but waited 45 minutes before they would take our order. It took them at least 20 minutes to bring us something to drink. After being seated the waiter said he didn't speak English and we didn't see him for at least 20 minutes after that. We were getting ready to walk out when he finally took our order. All of the tables around us were seated after we were and all received their food and were eating before our waitor would even take our order. When we were paying the bill amazingly the waiter spoke a whole lot of English. So, if you are American and have plenty of time to wasted you might enjoy the restaurant.

1  Thank Angie L
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This place looks nice from the outside and it's in a great location next to the water at the Port de Cergy. However the food in general is very poor. It all tasted as if it had been thawed from frozen ( I had fish). They assured me that the tarte tatin was homemade but it was a huge, cold wadge of apple on a thin soggy piece of pastry which was awful. The friend I was with had mussels in a cream sauce which seemed to be a wise choice as you can't freeze mussels in their shells ( or can you????). I came away feeling as though I'd been ripped off. Good for people who enjoy canteen food or are so drunk they don't care what they eat!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a welcoming restaurant with a good feel to it. However the food is variable and can be average to poor. I have eaten here three times, and overall I am unimpressed.

Tonight, I had one of the chef's recommended specials, gigot d'agneau roti with beans. The beans were steeped in parsley and garlic and were vey good. The lamb was dreadful. I like pink lamb, but this was raw and perfunctorily seared at best. Worse than that, it was a small portion and in addition about a third of it was impossible to cut through with a sharp knife. A real disappointment and just not acceptable. This was a very poor, gristly cut of meat.

My wife's salmon dish came with a dark sauce which I tasted and which seemed like a stock meat sauce, completely inappropriate for salmon. In my opinion, evidence of sloppy cooking.

Welcome was good, and service could not be faulted, but two out of three main courses were poor and having now eaten here three times I could not in all conscience recommend this restaurant, whose main selling point is the fact that it is open 7 days a week. The eating experience is decidedly mediocre and there is a real need to do better and behave less like a complacent tourist trap. The location is good, but there is a lack of serious competition and I suspect this adds to the complacency.

Three main courses, two desserts, 50cl of chilled red, 25cl of white and three aperitifs came to 83 euros. For this amount at home, I would have expected, and would have received, much much better. This restaurant is coasting to the point of taking the mickey out of its customers, which is not something you will find me saying very often. I felt genuinely angry about the lack of recognition of, or indifference to, the poor quality of what was said to be one of the specials of the day. This is not what good cooking should be about.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have eaten here a few times now due to my frequency in the area and lack of restaurants here in the port. It has never been brilliant but average. This time however is was very very poor indeed. My jacket potato was so overcooked it was inedible, the magret du canard was tough and just not 'right', the salad limp and over dressed. I will not be back.