“Great food and good service”

The Gingerbread House
Ranked #1 of 65 Restaurants in Haemeenlinna
Cuisines: European, Steakhouse, Scandinavian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Piparkakkutalo, "The Gingerbread House", is a traditional, popular and cosy restaurant at the heart of Hameenlinna next to the main church and the marketplace. The restaurant offers traditional European food with specialities and seasonal local ingredients. Restaurant Piparkakkutalo is located in a historical house. The house was built in 1906-07 as a home for merchant August Skogster whose department store was located next to the house. The house is designed by one of the most famous Finnish architect of that time, Selim A. Lindqvist. The house is a Jugend style building. Restaurant Piparkakkutalo is ideal for all kinds of lunch and dinner occasions, informal or formal. There are also dining cabinets and meeting cabinets available for private occasions. There is a cosy pub, Albertin Kellari, located in the basement of the Restaurant. The pub is fully licensed with a wide selection of beers, ciders and other drinks. Also a selection of tasty bar snacks is available. There is live music every week ranging from jazz to blues, roots etc. Also quiz and theme nights are organized regularly.
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Two persons taking appertizers, main food and desser and being happy with all of them is not usual. In Piparkakkutalo this happened. The service was also very discreet, which is nice change to modest or even rude service you can get in chain restaurants.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Restaurant Piparkakkutalo (Ginger Bisquit House in English) offered a great experience for our company of 9. The restaurant is in an old, romantic wooden house in the middle of the town Hameenlinna; it takes about an hour to drive there from Helsinki.
We had pre-ordered a traditional three course menu with creamy mushroom soup as a starter, followed by a very tasty piece of venison and for dessert we had a pancake filled with rhubarb compote and a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. The service was excellent and also the chef popped in to ask if everything was ok. Since the crayfish season was on, we also enjoyed some live music by a man and a guitar stroling around the restaurant.
We decided to come back with children and also visit some interesting museums in town (the artillery museum is our favorite).

Reviewed July 21, 2011

What a wonderful restaurant in the heart of Hämeenlinna city center. I ate a steak, perfectly cooked and with wonderful sauce and as the dessert this amazing ginger bread ice cream. This I would recommend to everybody!

Reviewed May 4, 2011

I was attracted by the restaurant exterior and taking photo outside and a local old lady talked to me and told me this is a very good restaurant and recommend me to try. So after I visited the castle, I go there to have lunch. The interior is nice and feel comfortable. The staff is helpful and very good courtesy. He explained every dishes and recommend good food to us. The portion of food is big (may be for us). The price is not expensive in Finnish standards. I enjoy the meal very much and thank you for the old lady!

Reviewed April 23, 2011

I've been there both when with the children and just the two of us on our way to Tampere. The place is excellent, location is great, it looks nice, feels comfortable, service is good and fast and the food quality and taste is generally very good. Size of the portions is just right. The prices are reasonable.

This time I had vorsmach for the first time in my life and it tasted very good. Also my wife was very happy wioth the steak and escpecially the stuffy that came with it.