“good conference hotel with spa”

Spa Hotel Rantasipi Aulanko
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Haemeenlinna
Kaarina, Finland
“good conference hotel with spa”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Aulanko is a beautiful location for a good conference hotel with excellent facilities and service. The new Spa is also very nice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Finnish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Tha Aulanko Rantasipi has a great history and lays in wonderful surroundings. It is perfect for a weekend getaway in the summer and you can enjoy a variety of sports and culture in its vicinity. It is slightly dated and would need some refurbishment, but does hit the regular mark on a Finnish chain hotel.We stayed with dogs, it was very convenient as we had our own patio with access to the park and golf course. They provide accommodation in bigger rooms (i.e. for families, up to 4 persons) however, I do not recommend that solution. The extra bed that had been placed in the room was hard, small and very uncomfortable.The spa and waterpark are great and convenient. There are many fine things with this hotel. Its surroundings are majestic and its Finnish nature as its best in summer. The dining hall is beautifully decorated. As noted earlier, it has a great history and I'd love to see this hotel be refurbished to its 1950's glory.

Room Tip: Rooms where pets are allowed have their own patios.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Had a get-together with old friends. We chose Aulanko as it would provide relaxation, nightlife and restaurants at one place. O'boy were we wrong. Whole hotel was very old, and not in a nice way idyllic etc. No, materials were worn out, and it felt like the place is barely holding it together. I booked 1st a one person room, as I was travelling alone. I changed room into 2 person room as I had company. Room they gave was the same, price just went up 35%. With friends, we wanted to have light drinks at the hotel bar, and had to wait 15mins before anyone came to serve us, at the bar. Spa was suprisingly small, but functional. Breakfast was a nightmare. There were seats for 100-150, which were all taken, and the buffee capacity readiness for 30 people. This resulted for continuous queing and missing food selections. When next time in Hämeenlinna, we will try something else.

Room Tip: If you like spending time at Spa, ask room close to spa, because walking distances are very, very, v...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abeton

Travelers are raving about these Haemeenlinna hotels

Finland
Reviewed June 4, 2011

First the good stuff - the hotel lies beautifully between a lake, golf course and fields and the spa is moderate size but quite nice with jacuzzi, one water slide, three saunas etc. Only the outside pool was a disappointment because of it's small size.
To fix that, we decided to go for a morning swim in the lake. Even though water was a bit muddy, this was very refreshing. We could not find stairs on either pier to climb up (not a problem - the water was so cold we literally jumped back up).
The hotel structure is like a labyrinth - without all the signs we would have not found the spa nor back to the rooms. The room was very standard and must have been restored not too long ago. Shower, minibar, twin beds, extra bed available from a chair. Bathrobe included.

There were plenty of meeting rooms, which implies it is a conference hotel. However, the restaurand did not seem ready for this. Our group of 30 had to wait for over 45 mins for pre-ordered meals. None of the waiters told us about the delay, and only let us help ourselves in the salad bar (not included in the a'la carte) when we asked for it after waiting for 40 mins.
The breakfast was ok, but not offer as much selection as some other scandinavian hotel chains.

There is really nothing that makes the hotel stand out from all others in Finland with spa. Great service could be a differentiator, but this time it did not happen.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fria
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I was here one night in April 2011. The room was a bit worn, but clean. I didn't visit the spa which was included, but a private sauna instead - unfortunately the pool was closed next to the sauna. The athmospehere in the hotel isn't very unique, I think you can find several hotels like this in Finland and many more... The noise from the trains is quite loud, but it didn't bother me. The hotel is quite far from the city center (about 10 minutes by bus), but on the other hand the nature is very close. The staff was friendly and food was delicious.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Helsinki
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I stayed here one night/ two days at a work function. Well, what can I say, I just gave the Amsterdam Marriott a 3, so there's no way I can give this one more than a 2. The hotel is quite worn, the room was really sad with brown furnishings, a stained bedspread. The bathtub ws so dirty I had to ask the housekeeping to clean it properly. Our dinner and lunch were buffet , which I found quite unappetising. As I'm a vegetarian a special meal had been ordered to me. It was the same wraps for lunch and dinner, next day I didn't bother any more...

There was one positive point worth mentioning. I ordered a room service breakfast, which was huge, fresh and had lots of choice. Ans , yes, the lakeside was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Turku, Finland
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed at the Aulanko spa hotel for one night at the beginning of May with my husband and our 10- and 12-year-old children. We had two adjoining rooms (311 & 312) in the newer part of the hotel. If you travel with smaller kids, be warned that the hotel apparently has very few connecting rooms. For us this was not a problem, as the girls are old enough to enjoy sleeping in their own room. I don’t know whether they have larger family rooms that could accommodate the whole family; our standard double rooms certainly could not. The hotel building consists of the older part (built in the 1930’s) and the newer part (1970’s). We did not see the rooms in the older part so I cannot comment on them, but the ones in the new part were spacious and airy. Our rooms had a balcony, which would be great for sitting out in the evenings; now the weather was too cold and rainy. We had a nice view towards the golf course. The beds were two separate beds, which could easily be pushed together. The rooms were basically clean, with the exception of the bathroom, which was the reason I’m giving only three *. The bathroom itself was also spacious, with good lighting, a hairdryer, a shower stall, shampoo and shower gel dispensers (no small individual packs, but I like this, as it is more environmental-friendly). There was a brown ring in the toilet, and there was no toilet brush in the room to wash this off. The shower gel bottle in the dispenser was empty (we left a note to cleaner about this, so hopefully they have replaced it before the next guests checked in) and in the children’s room there was no shampoo bottle at all in the dispenser. Small things but annoying to notice while showering. You could hear some noise from other rooms via the air ventilation shafts, but it was very minor. No noise through the walls. We slept soundly.

Check-in and check-out were quick and friendly. There are adult-size bath robes in the rooms, so if you are travelling with kids, be sure to ask for child-sized ones while checking in, they give them from the reception. Tip: take own flip-flops, crocs etc. with you for the walk from your room to the spa; they also sell slippers at the hotel. You can change into your swimsuit in your room, put the bathrobe on and walk to the spa. There is a separate locker room for hotel guests, so you can store your room key, shoes etc. there. You will not need any money whilst visiting the spa, as you can charge any beverages etc. to your room number.

The spa itself is quite basic, but well suited for our needs. One slide, a largish pool, a smaller one better suited for swimming, two shallow pools for young kids, an outside pool, two dipping pools with cold water and a whirlpool. There is a small bar with beverages and snacks. Three saunas: normal Finnish sauna, a milder relax sauna (I didn’t quite get the idea of this, they play bird song in the sauna, but I didn’t find it especially relaxing nor quite warm enough) and a steam sauna (very nice, although be warned that they occasionally sprinkle some kind of washing liquid from sprinklers in the roof, I managed to get showered by such a liquid while sitting in the sauna). The spa is also open to day guests. The hotel guests may use the spa for free for three hours daily, but I did not see anybody controlling the time limit in any way.

There is also a bowling room, which we tried and found to be ok. The price is 30 €/55 min per lane. The hotel also has a fitness center, which is free to use and very well equipped. There are also outside tennis courts.

The hotel is situated in a lovely place, by the lake and next to the Aulanko natural park. The park offers nice walks along the forest trails. The terrain is partly quite steep, so walking with very small children or pushing a pram might be a bit strenuous. If you don’t fancy walking, you can also drive up to the highest point of the park, where there is a granite viewing tower with excellent views to the surrounding areas. There was also a lovely café next to the tower, but as we were stuffed from the breakfast at the hotel, we did not try this. The viewing tower is open daily (I would assume during the summer months) and the entrance is free.

Food at the hotel: there is a cafeteria-style restaurant offering e.g. pizza, soups and snacks. We did not try this but it seemed quite popular for a smaller meal. We ate the evening meal in the hotel’s main restaurant. It offers both a buffet-style dinner as well as a la carte. The buffet is probably a good choice if you are very hungry, but as we had eaten lunch before checking in to the hotel, we chose something from the a la carte list. Nothing memorable but quite edible. The restaurant has an absolutely lovely view towards the lake, so ask to be seated by the windows to enjoy this. The breakfast (included in the room price) is served in the same restaurant and is more than adequate, with various hot and cold dishes. There is also a small bar in the hotel lounge next to the restaurant and a night club, neither of which we tried.

To sum it up: we had a nice stay at Aulanko, and would it not have been for the small incidents in the bathroom, I would happily have given the hotel four *.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank colsbom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haemeenlinna
Cumulus Hameenlinna
#1 of 1 in Hameenkoski
Hotelli Emilia
Hotelli Emilia
#5 of 5 in Haemeenlinna

Been to Spa Hotel Rantasipi Aulanko? Share your experiences!