“The TRUE story of Christmas”
Review of Hotel Haldenhof

Hotel Haldenhof
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Lech
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband, 13-month old daughter and my father all travelled to Lech for Christmas 2012. We all have travelled extensively throughout the world, and although we use tripadvisor to gather information about hotels, this is our first time we really felt the need to review, because of the previous reviewer. We actually stayed at the hotel while this family was there, and found them to be very demanding on staff throughout their stay.

We stayed at the Haldenhof for a week over Christmas. It started with an emailed offer from the hotel in September clearly stating the entire cost for the stay, including the supplement for Christmas Eve. This was clearly stated for ALL guests, it was strait-forward and, in fact, we received several quotes from other hotels in the area and the Haldenhof was reasonable and clear in their offer. We arrived from a transfer from Zurich airport (arranged through the hotel) the driver was on time, very efficient and had a car seat for my daughter. Once at the Haldenhof, they had goulash soup and ribs for us and offered us a drink in the lounge. Michael (Hotel owner) then was nice enough to show me 3 different room options to decide what would work best for my daughter and sleeping, well above and beyond what he needed to do. Our room was very nice, beautiful wood features and premium down duvets for adults and for our daughter, as well as a great quality crib with nice mattress. They provided a baby monitor for us to hear her during naps. The hotel made every accommodation for our daughter, from organising a nanny for her so we could ski to allowing her to have any food she would like from the kitchen to eating at different times then the normal guests. We have travelled a lot with her, and this hotel was the best we have encountered for baby/childrens needs.
The ski room is great (boot heaters, spacious) and you are able to ski directly in to the hotel. The spa is the best we have experienced, I am not sure what the previous reviewer meant, because the spa is one of the best I have seen, brand new, spotless, state of the art and a large bathroom area!

The food each night was 5 courses and gave guests options in their main meal. We were happy with the choices and really enjoyed the meals. Christmas Eve was sensational with horse-drawn sleigh rides & gluwein in the afternoon. The drinks were included, high end wines, and something like 8 courses for dinner! We had a party before dinner by the tree that was such a "family' affair, we felt like we were a part of a big Haldenhof family. A wonderful feeling to have when you are away from home. It is too bad that the previous reviewer chose not to attend this very special party. Michael and Claudia gave our daughter a Christmas gift personally. Breakfast is perfect for skiing, with dishes from the kitchen as well as buffet style.

The staff was 100% helpful the entire time, constantly serving the guests and helping with any needs. They gave us advice for where to ski, which we took and had some great days. The weather was not perfect but there was a ton of snow!

I think the fact that tripadvisor gives a forum for people to make comments is very helpful for travelling. Which is why I wanted to come on and give the Haldenhof an excellent review-- especially after reading the previous reviewers negative comments. I guess I am now aware that certain people may write negative comments which are totally unwarranted because we were there during this time. All our family can say is that this is a wonderful hotel that truly made us feel like a part of their family! We will be returning, for sure.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank StephyandTodd
Michael S, Manager at Hotel Haldenhof, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Hello,
good to hear that you did arrive back home safely - also hope the "horse-shoe" will find a nice place in dad´s collection.
Hope that we will see you again latest next winter!
All the best for 2013.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Haldenhof

Reviewed January 3, 2013

It was our fifth time in Lech but the first at the Haldenhof so, aside from having traveled extensively throughout Europe and North America, we have a good understanding of local standards.

The hotel is nice but nothing more or less than what you would expect from a hotel of this price category. Both the family and the staff are very attentive to your needs.

The rooms are commensurate with their price (by European standards) and clean. There is a second round of cleaning in the evening.

The food is OK but nothing special. We did not expect better or worse. We generally prefer not to eat at the hotel(s) and book at the local restaurants. The food is much tastier and the experience more "local".

This is exactly what caused a major problem in an otherwise nice vacation. Our offer from the hotel, in August, indicated that there was a € 130/person Christmas Eve dinner supplement. We clearly indicated, in August, that we were not having the Christmas Eve dinner as well as 3 other evenings at the hotel. The front office was nice enough to make the bookings for us (other hotels do it too).

When we received our bill, it was charged with the Christmas Eve supplement. The explanation was that this was a standard charge for the season(decoration etc) regardless of whether one had the special Christmas dinner or not! When I said that this was not a transparent practice and this should be reflected in the already (high) room rate, the owner said that I was right and that it should be changed for the future but he could do absolutely nothing about it at the moment. Had we known about the surcharge we would have picked a different hotel, same class but cheaper without hidden charges.

We paid in order not to spend our last day fighting with the owner and the local authorities as to the correct price to pay. It was a sunny day (at last) for skiing after 3 horrible days from a skiing weather perspective (wind, visibility etc).

In conclusion, when you book be very careful as to the offer, although I honestly do not think that we could have avoided the trap unless we specifically knew about it.

One other shortcoming is that there is no dedicated changing area and shower for people who check out in the morning and leave in the afternoon. As a result one has to use the kids' playroom. In our case it was taken by kids playing so we had to squeeze in a small toilet in the SPA, which is not set up for this purpose, especially when there are other people using the area. For a hotel of this class one would expect better.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Theodore K
Michael S, Inhaber at Hotel Haldenhof, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Mr. K. & Family,

thank you for having choosen Lech as your holiday destiantion and especially for picking Haldenhof for your stay - we care about our guests holiday value.

As per our previous mail traffic: again I apologize for my personal mistake not having locked the play room for your private courtesey use - if we would have had any late arrival we would have offered you to keep your room till the evening of course.
Unfortunately it is impossble to grow the hotel due to construction regulations - already I did try to offer a reduction to clients accepting late check in order to provide courtesey rooms, but nobody did pick up this offer,... I am open for any idea or suggestion to solve this.

We did pick up all your advises, wishes, orders and suggestions during your stay and did our best to make your holiday a special one. Of course we can understand being disappointed as the weather was not 100% sunshine during your stay, but weather is out of our influence.

Thank you for your in general positive remarks and feedback in your comment.
But pointing out the charged Christmas Supplement and our pricing as a "trap" is anything else than fair and fact bounded at all:
This supplement has been pointed out mandatory, clearly and highlighted along with amount of guest, travel dates, type of room, daily rate, tax and major information what is included - in our offer and your booking confirmation sent when you have been accepting and taking up our offer.

Maybe it would have been nice to mention and consider along your comment, that we did give your son a day ski pass as present, you found a personal Christmas present (adjustable - Ski and walking poles along with an exclusive boot bag, home made cookies in your room on Christmas Eve), inviting the parents for the Glühweinparty, your son invited for a horse-sleigh ride, hot and cold dishes to order on top of breakfast buffet for free....

Food & Taste are a personal matter - we try to please 100% of all wishes among our half board offer (austrian delights offered during your stay: "Bauernschmaus"; Lech-River-Trout; Wienerschnitzel, traditional Fondue, ...) - of course the taste of these specialities is more authentic when served in a Stube aged 100 years and more (as well also more expencive).

We hope that we may host and spoil you again at the Haldenhof - our target is a guest who is happy and smiling on departure with the wish to come back.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 27, 2012

An amazing holiday all in all and see no reason to look for an alternate hotel should we return to Lech.

The service was par excellence and the family was genuinely keeping their guests happy.

The standard room was a decent size and the traditional pinewood chalet hotel was cozy. The lobby and public areas were expansive.

Breakfast was amazing with option to order hot dishes. The dinner was a treat with nice Austrian cheese to end it.

Location could not be beat. A 3 minute walk across the river from the center of the village.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ramswiss_11
Michael S, Inhaber at Hotel Haldenhof, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Hello,

hope you did return back home safely and that you have had a wonderful trip through Europe again.
Thank you for your great and helpful advises helping to improve our services.

Kind regards & Happy New Year

Michael & Claudia Schwärzler

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our stay at hotel Haldenhof. I had read some of the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking and we weren't disappointed. The hotel was more or less what I expected it to be, our room, number 2, was lovely and cozy. The bathroom was nice, the beds very comfortable and the seating area gave us just a little extra space to move around in and relax coming back from a day of skiing. The Spa Area in the hotel was lovely. We were outside of the main season so it was very quiet, which I liked as I don't really feel very comfortable walking around strangers, who you bump into later at diner, naked but we were the only ones in the spa so very nice :)
The breakfast was good, you could ask for eggs etc. and they would bring you some. Diner was good too, but for me, a little too fancy maybe as I love my Wiener Schnitzel etc. and traditional Austrian food, simple. But I just made sure I ordered that on the slopes. The menu was about 5 courses, but you could skip a course, they asked you every day if you wanted to go for the whole menu or not. I loved the staff at the hotel, you could tell that the management are taking good care of them as the energy of the hotel staff was very positive and chilled. The hosts were lovely, very genuinely nice people with little ego..you can tell that they understand what life is all about :)
I would definitely recommend Hotel Haldenhof to anyone.

Room Tip: We had room 2 which was a suite, loved it!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kiki69London
Michael S, Inhaber at Hotel Haldenhof, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Hello,
thank you for your nice words and advices. We hope that we may host and spoil you again.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We went to the Haldenhof for both summer and winter and both seasons we enjoyed a lot.The Hotel Haldenhof is place to go with a family. The hotel has outdoor activities that where a lot of fun. The reception is very kind and helpful and will help you out with any problems. The hotel has great activiteis to offer. In winter deffinatly bring a sleigh with so because there is a great sledging hill right beside the hotel. There rooms are very cosy, but the beds are not the comfiest :(. The food there is outstanding and they had the most interesting cheeses I have ever had. In summer the hiking is lovely.I'd recommend going there in summer because it is not as busy in winter. Not that I want to say that going there in winter is not nice, it's just not as busy.
I recommend this hotel because there is so much to do at the hotel and the staff is so open and kind.
Have FUN!

Room Tip: Choose a room where you have a terrace, the view is lovely!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Isabel N
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was our first trip to the Haldenhof, although we had been to Lech many times before. We have nothing but praise for this excellently run hotel. It really did feel like we were staying with long-standing friends even though this was our first visit. Michael & Claudia are very present within the hotel on a day to day basis and their enthusiasm is at the heart of the hotel. All of the staff were also very friendly and helpful.

The bedroom was a good size with a very comfortable bed and an excellently appointed bathroom - a lovely large bath.

There was a good buffet continental breakfast plus cooked breakfasts made to order. The evening meals are of 4 or 5 courses and display excellent skill and variety. Although there was not a choice on the menu - alternatives were offered for any courses that guests did not like. My husband does not eat fish and this was quickly accomodated.

We had an early departure time but Michael was up to wave us goodbye.

This is a very special hotel in a very special resort and we cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SeaToSkyTraveller
Michael S, Inhaber at Hotel Haldenhof, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Hello, thank you very much for your positive feedback, which we also did share with our staff right away! We hope that we may host and spoil you again at the Haldenhof. Michael & Claudia

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We've now stayed at the Haldenhof in both summer and winter. This visit was for two weeks in the summer to walk some of the area that we've previously skied. We found both the Haldenhof and Lech to have a more relaxed atmosphere in the summer. Less people in the resort, less people rushing about the hotel trying to beat the morning charge up the mountains.

The rooms are the same whether you stay summer or winter: comfortable and spacious (by European standards). Summer brings the river in full flow, noisier than in winter, but I find it relaxing and therapeutic, so that is a plus point for me. My better half misses the tinkle of sleigh bells that winter brings.

The food is very good with plenty to eat, though I believe it to be simpler in summer, closer to its origins in Austrian cuisine whereas winter brings a more international flavour to dining. There is no choice of main course in the summer, but the kitchen is happy to offer alternatives should what is planned not appeal. Summer also gives a new possibility: breakfast outside on the terrace. Choose the right day and it is a delightful experience.

The bar/lounge is large with plenty of seating to accomodate most, if not all, of the hotel guests even when the hotel is full. Another terrace beckons as a location for after-dinner coffee on a balmy evening, with patio heaters as back-up should the weather be uncooperative. We took great pleasure in sitting out on that terrace as in the winter it is often covered in deep snow.

Staying at the Haldenhof is like staying at a house party where the hosts are friends rather than hoteliers. Everyone is made very welcome and the staff take the time to talk with the guests while going about their business, making sure that everyone is treated as an individual rather than just a room number.

Room Tip: In winter, the front of the hotel has the best night-time view towards the centre of the village and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple