“Very relaxing stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Very relaxing stay”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our stay at hotel Haldenhof. I had read some of the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking and we weren't disappointed. The hotel was more or less what I expected it to be, our room, number 2, was lovely and cozy. The bathroom was nice, the beds very comfortable and the seating area gave us just a little extra space to move around in and relax coming back from a day of skiing. The Spa Area in the hotel was lovely. We were outside of the main season so it was very quiet, which I liked as I don't really feel very comfortable walking around strangers, who you bump into later at diner, naked but we were the only ones in the spa so very nice :)
The breakfast was good, you could ask for eggs etc. and they would bring you some. Diner was good too, but for me, a little too fancy maybe as I love my Wiener Schnitzel etc. and traditional Austrian food, simple. But I just made sure I ordered that on the slopes. The menu was about 5 courses, but you could skip a course, they asked you every day if you wanted to go for the whole menu or not. I loved the staff at the hotel, you could tell that the management are taking good care of them as the energy of the hotel staff was very positive and chilled. The hosts were lovely, very genuinely nice people with little ego..you can tell that they understand what life is all about :)
I would definitely recommend Hotel Haldenhof to anyone.

Room Tip: We had room 2 which was a suite, loved it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kiki69London
Michael S, Inhaber at Hotel Haldenhof, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Hello,
thank you for your nice words and advices. We hope that we may host and spoil you again.
Michael Schwärzler & Family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We went to the Haldenhof for both summer and winter and both seasons we enjoyed a lot.The Hotel Haldenhof is place to go with a family. The hotel has outdoor activities that where a lot of fun. The reception is very kind and helpful and will help you out with any problems. The hotel has great activiteis to offer. In winter deffinatly bring a sleigh with so because there is a great sledging hill right beside the hotel. There rooms are very cosy, but the beds are not the comfiest :(. The food there is outstanding and they had the most interesting cheeses I have ever had. In summer the hiking is lovely.I'd recommend going there in summer because it is not as busy in winter. Not that I want to say that going there in winter is not nice, it's just not as busy.
I recommend this hotel because there is so much to do at the hotel and the staff is so open and kind.
Have FUN!

Room Tip: Choose a room where you have a terrace, the view is lovely!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Isabel N
Shropshire, England
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was our first trip to the Haldenhof, although we had been to Lech many times before. We have nothing but praise for this excellently run hotel. It really did feel like we were staying with long-standing friends even though this was our first visit. Michael & Claudia are very present within the hotel on a day to day basis and their enthusiasm is at the heart of the hotel. All of the staff were also very friendly and helpful.

The bedroom was a good size with a very comfortable bed and an excellently appointed bathroom - a lovely large bath.

There was a good buffet continental breakfast plus cooked breakfasts made to order. The evening meals are of 4 or 5 courses and display excellent skill and variety. Although there was not a choice on the menu - alternatives were offered for any courses that guests did not like. My husband does not eat fish and this was quickly accomodated.

We had an early departure time but Michael was up to wave us goodbye.

This is a very special hotel in a very special resort and we cannot wait to return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SeaToSkyTraveller
Michael S, Inhaber at Hotel Haldenhof, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Hello, thank you very much for your positive feedback, which we also did share with our staff right away! We hope that we may host and spoil you again at the Haldenhof. Michael & Claudia
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We've now stayed at the Haldenhof in both summer and winter. This visit was for two weeks in the summer to walk some of the area that we've previously skied. We found both the Haldenhof and Lech to have a more relaxed atmosphere in the summer. Less people in the resort, less people rushing about the hotel trying to beat the morning charge up the mountains.

The rooms are the same whether you stay summer or winter: comfortable and spacious (by European standards). Summer brings the river in full flow, noisier than in winter, but I find it relaxing and therapeutic, so that is a plus point for me. My better half misses the tinkle of sleigh bells that winter brings.

The food is very good with plenty to eat, though I believe it to be simpler in summer, closer to its origins in Austrian cuisine whereas winter brings a more international flavour to dining. There is no choice of main course in the summer, but the kitchen is happy to offer alternatives should what is planned not appeal. Summer also gives a new possibility: breakfast outside on the terrace. Choose the right day and it is a delightful experience.

The bar/lounge is large with plenty of seating to accomodate most, if not all, of the hotel guests even when the hotel is full. Another terrace beckons as a location for after-dinner coffee on a balmy evening, with patio heaters as back-up should the weather be uncooperative. We took great pleasure in sitting out on that terrace as in the winter it is often covered in deep snow.

Staying at the Haldenhof is like staying at a house party where the hosts are friends rather than hoteliers. Everyone is made very welcome and the staff take the time to talk with the guests while going about their business, making sure that everyone is treated as an individual rather than just a room number.

Room Tip: In winter, the front of the hotel has the best night-time view towards the centre of the village and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stewart T
Sydney
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed 10 days at the Haldenhoff in late December, including over the Christmas period. We were a bit unsure about spending Christmas away from home, but owners Michael and Claudia Schwarzler created such a wonderful experience for us and all the guests that we couldn't have been happier with our decision.

We've stayed many times at the Haldenhoff and every time we go back its like returning to stay with old friends. The hotel ticks all the normal boxes for us, ie good location, good rooms and beds, great food and great service. But the one and most important thing (for us anyway) that sets the Haldenhoff apart from every other hotel is the personal touch that Michael and his team bring to a stay there. There's nothing (within reason!!) they wont do to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

A few years ago we had been travelling for about 5 weeks throughout Europe before spending a week at the Haldenhoff, ie we had a lot of dirty washing. Claudia went out of her way to help us get it all done overnight, it was much appreciated.

There's nowhere else in Lech I'd rather stay, and we look forward to our next holiday there!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have been travelling to Austria for almost 50 years, and stayed in some splendid hotels. This one was the best. The reason is the people and the atmosphere. If one looks at facilities, this is a good 4 star hotel. There was no minibar awash with champagne, no personal valet. But the service was not merely personal, endlessly helpful, but I felt greeted as a friend, not simply as a valued guest. It was like picking up a conversation after years, always the sign of true friendship. i came home from my two weeks and immediately booked to go back. These days I prefer the smaller and personal over the slick impersonality of hotels with more luxuries. Solo travellers sometimes are made to feel a bit second-class - not so here. The overwhelming sense was not simply that this was a comfortable, airy hotel, but it was a happy one - there was a sense of joy in all those who worked there. It's a matter of tone, one set by the owners. Food was terrific also, and my mildly eccentric tastes in food were immediately accommodated and my room rearranged to provide maximum comfort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank MichaelBM
florida
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The town of Lech is stunning !!!! We had booked the largest room in the hotel but were so surprised that they were under the roof with no view . Very tiny windows ! I wish I had asked that question . It was a very clean suite with a good amount of space . One room had a queen bed and the other a twim sized sofa bed . Maybe we have become spoided in the USA but I am 5'9 and had a hard time covering up with a twin sized down comforter !!!! I did ask for a larger one but they do not have that . Thank goodness my husband was not with us . The owners are very nice and the food was wonderful . The hotel is non smoking thank goodness !!!!! We almost choked at some of the other places in Lech . We had a private ski guide that was wonderful . This is the way to go ! . The ski school in Lech and Oberlech were the worst I had ever put my child in . I would strongly advise against it for many reasons . I have a 12yr old girl who very weell behaved and these are not schools set up for non english speaking children .

Room Tip: make sure you know these rooms have small beds with small bedding .
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your coment and your advices.
We are sorry, that you did not have the service provided by ski school you did expect, but unfortunately this is out of our direct influence. We only can assist in arrange bookings and recommend services - so we did recommend you to book a private guide in advance.

Also we take your advise regarding beddings very serious and will adivse that
beddings in general in Europe are smaller and different to the states - a standard bed is 200X90cm in general and Feather duvets are standard as well.
We offer to set beds with blankett and linnen if prefered - a service which probably needs to be highlighted in our hotel information.

During our correspondence and our telephoneconversations we did describe the room combinations we can offer - your choice was the largest room (3rd floor - under the roof) in order to share with your daughter and mother.
Also we will try to improve information service here in advance as well to point out clearly advantages or possible disatvantages.

We hope that we may get another chance in order to show you how beautiful and nice a holiday with us in Lech ist!

Kind regards