“A new revive to an old neighbourhood!”
Review of Wooden Spoon Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Wooden Spoon Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2012

It was one of those mad work weeks and you're sitting at your desk, thinking maybe a pint would just be what I need... at 11am.

No, that would just make me an uncool drunk!

What do I do? I round up my trusty girlfriends and all six of us, in between hubbies and babies, full time and part time working hours, all agreed that we needed that girl time together.

Rocking up at Wooden Spoon, a brilliantly funky cozy welcome rushed towards me upon opening the front glass doors. The management got the ambience music just at the right tempo and volume, you immediately floated to the bar with finesse to your awaiting posse. Outside the passing traffic contrasted to the cool, calm flow of things as the staff was highly trained and on cue to read your instructions.

We opened a beautiful bottle of Cabernet Merlot (Bordeaux) and soon enough conversations were punctuated with an ease of laughter and conspiratorial secrets.

Our table was quickly assembled and we were ushered to it with two amazing staff filling up glasses of water and offering the menu.

You can say good food and wine are only accentuated by good company. I highly agree but some of the things that I appreciated from Wooden Spoon that made the night even more enjoyable are:

- new wine glasses were served without any request upon a new bottle;
- superb amalgamation of food taste and texture, nothing overdone the top. In one phrase, superior simplicity;
- great clean decor;
- even better bathrooms! and
- sleek, well trained staff that never impose or overbear.

I was greatly impressed with the quality of their kitchen, however the only thing that limited my experience, which could possibly be down to my wrong choice of compromise when our bottle of Pinot Noir (Otago) became unavailable, I selected one from the Australian region. Failed miserably after the initial high brought upon by the French Cabernet Merlot.

Again, it wasn't any fault of the premise but I reckon there were some point that their sommelier may have to look into if they want their wine list to be impeccable, as that was what we had been brought to expect before visiting the place.

The must-note was the seared scallop and kingfish tapas.

Overall, will definitely visit again. Vino Bravo down the road, better watch out because you got stiff competition!

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Gee what a lovely surprise. Heard Wooden Spoon was good but it over delivered on our expectations. Warm, hospitable welcome, great service, nothing too much problem.

Vibey, bar atmosphere but luckily for us not too busy on a cold Friday night so it was not too noisy.

The food was terrific - we had the polenta with gorgonzona from the bar snacks menu for a started and shared it. Fabulous dish. Main courses were of a very good standard and generous portions. We had no room for dessert.

These folks are working hard t get it right - give them some support and you'll have a great casual dining experience.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Hubs and I stopped by here on a rainy afternoon for a bowl of warm olives and the polenta with gorgonzola dip- DELICIOUS....... Honestly, it was so darn good. Add a nice glass of wine (or two!) and we are all set. I would absolutely come again. The food was delicious, and the service was top notch.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I think it's a new restaurant replacing a previous one - but it is much better! We were brought water and a crisp hot roll soon after we sat down. We had an excellent lunch. An entree of polenta 'bars' with gorgonzola dip was delicious, with the 'bars' creamy and contrasting beautifully with the crisp outer layer. Then we all had a very superior mushroom soup served with toasted ciabatta. Service was efficient, friendly but definitely not intrusive. We'll go again as it was not expensive.