“Good base to visit the Amalfi Coast”
Review of Hotel Olimpico

Hotel Olimpico
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed 8 nights and had a superior room.

We booked a superior view and it was well worth it. We had a view of the pool and ocean and had a private ‘L’ shape balcony. The hotel is very nice, well tended, and with friendly staff. The breakfast was great and the best we had in all our stays in Italy.

The clothes line on the balcony allowed us to do our laundry in our room which was a great plus.

A car is more than a practically as the hotel is far from the beaten track. But the free shuttle offered by the hotel certainly accommodates day trip as it can bring you to the train station or dock to catch a boat to Capri, Positano or Amalfi. I certainly would recommend taking a ferryboat or jet boat to those locations as the view of the Coast is breathtaking.

We had a misunderstanding with the hotel as we thought we had book for an extra night. Because we had not checked out and were on an excursion, they packed our room and left our belongings in the open in the reception area. We were quite shocked when we saw our personal effects and were told that we had to leave the hotel as they could not accommodate us because they were fully booked that night. The owner was kind enough to find us a room in another hotel and drive us there. I think we would have appreciated if our effects had been in a storage room and not right in the middle of the reception where everybody could see it. All in all our wonderful week ended in a dog’s breakfast. That is why I gave it a very good instead of excellent.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Dear Guest from Canada

I am very pleased to read your feedback on the hotel and your experience. It seems like we lived up to, if not surpassed your expectations and I am happy we were able to have done so and made your stay so enjoyable at our family run resort. We pride ourselves on reviews such as yours and also learn from and like to respond to any problems that may occur during your stay.

I apologise profusely that you found your things in the foyer of our hotel and not in storage but I do wish to explain the circumstances to clarify it a bit better than I had when you departed. As you stated you were on an excursion and you had also not realised that you were scheduled to depart that day. We had actually attempted to contact you for four hours at which point we had no choice but to clear your room and prepare it for our next guest. It was actually just prior to your return that we had removed your belongings and in the interim you had returned and we had not yet put them in our storage facilities. We do apologise profusely for the misunderstanding and any embarrassment it may have caused you but assure you we had meant to see to that it was in storage and did make every effort to contact you prior to doing this, which to us is just as uncomfortable as it was for you.

We do hope to see you again and next time I would love to offer you complimentary drinks upon arrival as an official apology for any inconvenience you may have felt. I also will be sure that we both go over your reservation so as not to have any such misunderstandings in the future.

Warm regards,
Gaetano Serluca

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We just spent 5 wonderful days at Hotel Olimipico. It is a perfect place for families we had 3 children under the age of 12 and they all had a great time. There is a play area for the children, tennis, pool and the private beach is across the street. The staff went above and beyond especially the bartender that made amazing cappuccinos and the shuttle driver who was so friendly. We did not rent a car and we had no problem visiting all the sites the coast had to offer, ferries to the Amalfi coast, Pompeii, etc... We will definitely recommend this hotel to our friends or anyone wanting to have a great vacation on the Italian coast.
Thank you.

Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Dear Guest from San Diego
first of all, we wish to thank you very much for your kind review on Tripadvisor and for choosing the Hotel Olimpico for your holiday in Salerno.

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our pool, the beach and the playground for children. We are happy to hear you had a good time with us. I will personally give your review to Aleesio, our bartender and Gennaro the driver. They are an important part of our wonderful staff which allow us to have such a satisfied clientele.

We are also very pleased to learn that you recommend the Hotel Olimpico to anyone travelling to Salerno and Amalfi Coast area and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future for another wonderful stay in our Hotel!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just left Salerno, having spent two nights at Hotel Olimpico, strictly because of the rating it got on Trip Advisor. Our visit was very disappointing. Our visit started with our pre arranged pick up at the train station being one hour late. We over heard the driver telling the hotel it was our fault, which was absolutely not true. Our greeting at reception was anything but welcoming, we actually felt as if we were bothering the staff. A request for extra keys for the adult members of our party was adamantly refused... Although very clean, our room was in some dis-repair with peeling paint on all of the walls in the bathroom. The pool and beach staff never offered us a chair, drink or towel. Every time we needed a drink we would have to search out the bartender, who again appeared to be bothered.
The hotel states it offer a free shuttle because of its distance from town. Times available appeared to be in frequent, had to be reserved a day ahead of time and stopped at 8 pm. Since most restaurants in the area do not open until 7:30 or 8:00 pm this not very practical. Reception told us a cab would be at least $55 euro...I guess this is the hotels way of keeping everyone at the hotel for dinner.
Breakfast was lovely and the staff was attentive. Dinner was average with very attentive staff at the beginning, but as the evening wore on they were more interested in cleaning tables, than waiting on the customers remaining.
I don't know what the other hotels in Salerno are like, but if Hotel Olimpico is truly rated number one, I don't think we will be returning!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank KnitterFromNewJersey
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Dear Guest from New Jersey,

I always welcome feedback both positive as well as negative. Naturally this helps improve our services and know where staff or services may be lacking, which is why Hotel Olimpico is rated so highly as we take critique very seriously and do all we can to rectify any problems.

I sincerely apologize for the late pick-up and would welcome any direct email as to whom said it was your fault as well as who was working at the desk and refused you the keys you requested; this is not acceptable to me as the General Manager and to my family who owns the hotel and works hard to make it a place people return to year after year.

As per any chipped paint or issues with the room, I do wish we had been informed as we would gladly have changed your room and again we will be checking all rooms to see to that there is no such disrepair.

Since I take some of your complaints quite seriously and want to know who was working as the bartender I do hope you write me direct so I can discuss this with staff as well as your other complaints.

Just to clarify our shuttle service, this is a value added service and we do all we can to accommodate our guests needs. The ferries last service from Capri, Positano and Amalfi are at 7:45 and thus we have a shuttle at 8:00 as most of the people are not usually going into Salerno for dinner but rather returning from the day tours and wish to come back and shower and change. I will also add that we do have restaurants but we do not purposely arrange the last shuttle at this time so as to inconvenience anyone who wants to go to Salerno to eat as there are many restaurants outside our hotel and in the vicinity that also are open for dinner. Additionally there are bus services and we do provide passes if need be to accommodate specific issues such as the ones you mention.

I am happy that you did enjoy the breakfast spread as we put a lot of effort into offering a very wide variety of choices to our guests.

I am sorry you feel that you were neglected by staff at the end of the evening and will be having a meeting with dinner staff about cleaning while remaining guests are eating as guests are our priority and must be their priority as well.

I look forward to any personal feedback, which you can send to my attention and I assure you that most of our guests are quite pleased with our services but nevertheless we take even one complaint seriously and will be looking into your complaints.

I do wish to state though that our guests are generally very pleased as our prices and premises are far superior to what you will find inside Salerno itself and we make arrangements for you to be able to see and do everything the Amalfi Coast has to offer.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope to hear from you and assure I will personally look into all complaints and assure you this is not a typical experience for most of our guests. Hopefully we will see you again and exceed your expectations.

Gaetano Serluca - G Manager

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We chose this hotel because of the reviews and it was just as good for us. The secret of this hotels success is the staff from the owner Gaetano to the bus driver Gerano, they were all friendly and most helpful. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the pool area is well kept with plenty of sun beds. There is a private beach which is also kept very clean and even though the hotel is definitely out of the way the shuttle service the hotel provides makes this irrelevant. Also I have been in a lot of hotels around Italy and they serve the best breakfast. Would definitely go back. Loved the place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda V
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Dear Mr Rapla,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor with regards to your stay.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the service and facilities throughout the property. I will certainly share all your kind comments about the resort with our team, who will be equally delighted.

Once again, thank you for your gracious comments, we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

The hotel is nice and probably the best looking hotel in the area but 20-30 minutes drive outside Salerno. Their shuttle to Salerno to take the boats to Amalfi, Positano and Capri are a necessity
if you don't have a car. They also pick you up from the train staion. However, driving along the Amalfi coast is a challenge. The boats are a better alternative. The American style full buffet breakfast is extensive and good. The restaurant for dinner at the hotel is just Ok although the setting outside by the pool is very nice. The food is average as is the wine selection. There are better restaurants in Salerno, especially Cicircinella, but the last shuttle to the hotel leaves at 8P.M. from Salerno. It is a 40 plus Euro cab ride from Salerno to the hotel!The area across the street with the hotel's private beach area is also nice but closes at 7 or 8 P.M. The beds were the firmest and one of the best we have ever slept in at a hotel. But the area is kind of isolated although near a number of bars and semi-restaurants in the area. There is a large 100 store shopping area nearby, about a 20 minute cab ride, but not within reasonable walking distance.
It would be a nice touch if the hotel rented bicycles, which they don't. However, the traffic is so fast and furious on the road in front of the hotel all the bike riders ride on the sidewalk and often come close to hitting walkers.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ron019
G-Serluca, General Manager at Hotel Olimpico, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear Guest from New Orleans

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our rich buffet breakfast, our confortable bed and our new dining area in our lush garden.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

There are lots of pros to this hotel BUT it shouldn't be rated against Salerno hotels as it is not in Salerno. It's a good 20 minutes by car south of Salerno and not at all doable without a car. So be warned. It's almost an hour to Ercalano (where the ancient town of Herculaneum is), 45 mins to Pompeii and 45 minutes to Paestum. Salerno proper would be far more central. The reason I am rating it so poorly is due to the other posts that I read and took as accurate when they said it was central to these sites, the sole reason for our visit to the area. Pros and Cons below.

Pros - fabulous structure of a hotel and very clean. It's got a lovely pool and outdoor eating area. It really is a nice, clean hotel. The staff are polite, though I wouldn't say overly welcoming. The reception in particular always made me feel like I was disturbing them, not that I spoke to them that often (problem visited Reception 3 times in 6 days). The male waiters were friendlier and showed a bit of humour in the evenings. There is a much more mature waiter in the evenings and he's just gorgeous. The breakfast buffet is quite big and the starter buffet at dinner was quite good. Free wifi in the room earnt an extra "dot" on the rating meter as it's something I believe all hotels should offer these days.

Cons - the food is so incredibly salty. We ended up sticking to fresh salads etc where salt couldn't be added. It was the over the top. We're not at all used to a high salt diet and found we couldn't finish some of the pastas etc because of this. Most of the fruit on the breakfast buffet was not ripe enough and once the croissants and pastries have run out there are no more on offer.

if the hotel could fix it's location on TripAdvisor so it reflects the area more accurately, encouraged its Reception staff to be a little more outgoing and strike salt off its shopping list I'd be more than happy to return as overall it was a really nice place for a quiet break.

4  Thank IamPrincessSparkles
G-Serluca, General Manager at Hotel Olimpico, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear Guest from Sydney
Thank you for your feedback.

Though we do make this quite clear on our website, I would like to explain a bit about "Salerno". We never conceal the fact, and as stated publish the fact, that this is not Salerno Centre. Though it is not Salerno Centre it is still Salerno. It is not easy to explain a country’s eccentricities with regard to how it defines a region or area, but to give an example, Ischia and Capri are closer to Salerno but considered to be Naples. The same goes for Positano and Sorrento. The entire region is known as Campania. We do go out of our way to clarify we are not Salerno Centre as you can see on our website, but beyond that, a more specific reply, like this one, is required to make this clear.

We do not strive to nor do we compare ourselves to hotels in Salerno Centre. We offer a shuttle, and do all that we can to transport our guests to the centre as well as points north and south, which is beyond what most hotels in Salerno Centre offer. We take pride in our lovely grounds and believe that this is the number one reason for our repeat business. While many people come to see the sites, others enjoy lounging around and utilizing amenities.

I am very pleased to hear your complimentary description of the hotel and our amenities. Another reason we are not located in central Salerno is that you would not find these amenities or grounds at this rate there. We are always aiming to improve our grounds and have added many amenities this year, which I am certain you were made aware of upon your arrival.

Unfortunately English, or any other language other than Italian, is not the strong suit of many Italians, and this may have led you to believe the staff was not as polite as they could be. I apologize for this and assure you I will address this.

Our restaurant staff have varying abilities in language, and I would venture to guess that the issue with politeness and being more out-going was more of an issue of linguistic discomfort, rather than a display of rudeness.

Finally I do want to address the "salty" issues you had with some of the food. We do not go out of our way to add salt to food, which is why salt is readily available as a condiment. That said, we also come from a region that uses salt more than you may be accustomed to. A good friend of mine, who lives here has pointed this out to me.

We hope to see you again in the future and welcome your comments. Again I am glad you appreciated our premises and the cleanliness and amenities we offer and lament the issues you did have.

Gaetano Serluca - Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Just stayed at the hotel after a few days in Rome. So easy to get to and perfect base to see Pompeii and Amalfi Coast. Train from Rome took two hours and were picked up at station by hotels shuttle bus as promised. The hotel is clean , welcoming , fantastic service and has a lovely pool and private clean beach just across the road. We have young kids who played happily on ping pong , boules and tennis available free of charge and all the staff we met were great. Although half term holidays here in England the hotel was lovely and quiet - lots of people staying but never felt crowded . We didn't hire a car but had no need to - the shuttle mini bus runs so frequently and took us to the station where we could get to Pompeii for about 18 euros ( for five of us) , took us to the port where a boat to Amalfi cost 7 euros for adult or 5.50 for kids and to the bus to naples which was also 7 euros. I think the hotel is great value for money - bar open all day and snacks available too. We didn't eat at the hotel every night as there is a cheaper alternative just opposite over the road - it was nice to have a choice, and although theres not much else around the hotel its so easy to travel from there that we didn't need to . Thank you to everyone at the hotel for a fantastic stay :)

1  Thank Emma M
G-Serluca, General Manager at Hotel Olimpico, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear Mrs Emma
We want to thank you for sharing your time with Trip Advisor to write such a good review as the one we received.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you remained well impressed by our beautiful pool and beach and by the our ideal location to visit the most interesting town of our area like Pompei and the Amalfi Coast.
We really hope to welcoming you again in a very nearest future.
In the meantime we profit of the occasion to send you our best regards.

Hotel Manager

12 mi away
L'Araba Fenice Hotel & Resort
L'Araba Fenice Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Altavilla Silentina

Been to Hotel Olimpico? Share your experiences!