“Celtic tiger prices... Average quality...”

Morans Oyster Cottage
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Kilcolgan
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Moran's Oyster Cottage Seafood Restaurant Galway, The Weir, Kilcolgan, Co. Galway, is a traditional thatched cottage that dates back over 250 years. Today Morans is run by the 7th generation of the Moran family in the business. It is renowned the world over for its superb seafood and Galway oysters which attracts people from the five continents, and is open all year round
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

It's about 15 miles from Galway. My companion was into vegetarian food options. First mistake ...Morans is not for veggies.

I had the chowder to start and the smoked salmon as main course. It was average, .... The veggie option for my companion seemed bland... We had the Pinot Grigio to drink... It was all average in fantastic surroundings... But the bill was scandalous. This is family owned ... They are not paying rents etc.... My companion was German. He said " how can a restaurant in a bankrupt country charge these prices?"... Well maybe some have learned... I have " I won't be back"...

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We ate here in early July. The restaurant is just beside some water and has great views! I was the only one in our party who didn't eat fish.. so there was noting on the menu for me! but the chef was able to do a vegetarian option for me! Mine was nice and others really enjoyed theirs! It was expensive for lunch but the fish was very fresh! The only thing they could improve on is veg options and maybe turn the heat up a bit! apart from that it was very enjoyable!

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I went here as a last meal in Ireland and was not disappointed. After being inundated with fried food in Galway I was seeking somewhere which would serve seafood fresh and not fried! This was perfect. It is on the more expensive side 120 euros got us two starters - (a dozen oysters not to be missed, mussels) 3 mains and two children's pastas along with a couple of beers. The sun was shining so we sat outside on the benches and enjoyed the view!

Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Just off the Galway road in a seaside setting serving the Best oysters I have ever eaten! Not cheap but none of the food in Ireland is. This place has been here 250 years for a reason. Service is great and the pride in what they serve shows.

1  Thank bcolt52
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I found it to very average,very overpriced..it was my first time there and i would guess that the menu has not been changed since the 80's.. marie rose sauce is popular!!!
And if your going to charge crazy money for "fish and chips" (think it was €17 or something like that)...at least serve proper home made chips.not the frozen bought in ones that most chippers serve everywhere else..anyway thats my opinion..

1  Thank Dara M