“Loved it! Recommended!”
Review of Gagaju Bush Camp

Gagaju Bush Camp
Ranked #124 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Noosa
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I must admit, I was a little apprehensive about Gagaju Bush Camp due to the lack of an official website... My worries were completely wrong! The two guys running the camp (Andy and David, I think their names were?) were awesome, really friendly and helpful, made my group feel really welcome. The brand spanking new (flushing) toilet and hot shower block made our stay very clean and comfortable, so glad we didn't have to use the long drop toilet! The shared kitchen and living facilities were great, with a big screen TV with tons of movies, a pool table, ample room and equipment for cooking, and a nice big fire area with plenty of firewood available. Really cannot recommend this place enough!

Room Tip: There seemed to be 3 types of accommodation available: small 3 man tents, two big 4 bed tent dorms...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jdt3000
There are newer reviews for Gagaju Bush Camp

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Just got back from the bush camp after hearing so many bad things about it. I don't know what everybody was complaining about. I thought it was great fun. Staff were friendly and camp site had good facilities. The bathroom and showers were immaculate. Didn't expect that! The trip itself was fun but I think there could have been some extra activities added as it is basically just canoeing. The dorms the first night were interesting to say the least. I didn't mind so much but a few were put off that we didn't have a proper bed. I think this is something we should be made aware of before booking. Campfire at night was a nice touch. Its good fun, the first day was quiet but the second day there was a good crowd which added to it. Just bring plenty of warm clothes and don't expect the Ritz!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adeline P
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wow! Just spent an amazing w'end with the crew at Gagaju Bush Camp! Thanks guys...amazing place, amazing people! My girlfriends and I thought we'd get the wagon out, hit the tarmac and see where we would end up..Well we thought we had stumbled into another realm, the middle of nowhere & we find ourselves sitting around a campfire, sharing adventures with drink in hand, watching girls dancing with the firesticks while the boys were jammin it on the bongo's...loved it! Was a little confronting when we first arrived, drop toilets and big army tents for dorms, but Andy showed us round & got us settled and we were quiet surprised to find that altho very basic it had everything we needed. Gagaju is not the place to go if ur excpecting 4 stars and guided tours, but if ur just lookin to chill out by the fire, go for a paddle on the river & or simply laze in a hammock..it has all that! Thanks guys, best road trip adventure yet...much love Aly, Ria & Rene!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aly C
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Gagaju was great! Had a blast! Six others and I decided to stay a week after just arriving and seeing what it was all about. The guys that run the place are great guys. If you are looking for something different, then this is the place to be. I met a lot of great people on my stay there. It's a must go destination. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Gagaju bush Camp is a true Aussie bush experiance! I have travelled all over the world for work and for fun, my better half is a travel agent, 5 star hotels, backpackers & home stay's with villagers....been there done that. But when I want to chill in a real bush setting with no stress I find myself always back at Gagaju. Bushwalks, canoeing, swimming in the river, music & sing a longs by the fire and even cooking in the fire! No pushy tour guides, no one pushing you to buy stuff or tours, no hassle to be here or there. feel like doing nothing all day but chilling with nature...sweet as! staff are great always willing to help & advise of cool stuff to do, you can cook what you want when u want, apart from the free bus there is no timetable, perfect place to make your own fun, walk your own path and to escape from modern life. No matter where I travel in this world I always look forward to my next escape to Gagaju.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ian E
Reviewed March 24, 2013

It is not your normal hostel as in is a bush camp but for what it is, it's great! Lovely atmosphere - people talking around the fire and cooking. Kept quite clean considering it is in the bush. Staff really friendly and take you in and out of the town. Great quarry with fresh water right next door. Really cheap too!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Violet M
Reviewed March 11, 2013

For 50 bucks (without voucher 90) 3 nights accommodation this is a good way to kill time with a bit of kanoeing while saving money, but it is not much more.

It is not a tour at all!! You have to buy your own food. They do not guide you at all and in the camp there is nothing to do, but watching TV (what a great bush experience *puke*)

4 days 3 night (called 3 days 2 night canoeing + 1 night accom)
the Ininery:

First day:
Pick up from the bus station. Drive you to the supermarket to let you buy your food. Driving to the camp with a short talk about the "history" of the camp and that Gagaju was once the name of the National Park now called Kakadoo.
Short walk around to show the camp facilities.

The rest of the day? Nothing absolutely nothing (except watching TV from a pretty good (i guess) illegal collection of about 200 movies or more).
Everyone who has ever seen a real bush camp sees already at the first second that this has not much to do with a bush camping experience.

Second day:
8:30 am going for the first canoeing (unless they decide that the kitchen is not clean enough then you have to wait until someone starts cleaning it and you have to listen to the staff who tells you that they might take your 20 Dollar deposits of).
A short introduction about the river and where we have to go to see something (shown on a satellite picture of the river).
Then we were send out for canoeing alone towards these spots.
Quite boring and I haven't seen something stunning there yet. I am also still not sure if I have seen the Noosa Everglades.
If you paddle straight through then you can be back after about 4 hours, but they tell you that you should start coming back at 3 pm to be back before dark. So take your time.

After the return? Nothing to do for the rest of the day unless watching TV.

Third day:
Same stuff again but in the other direction of the river. Nothing interesting again. The best was a jumping pillow next to the pub.
Takes you about 3 hours to paddle there and back again.

After the return? Nothing to do for the rest of the day unless watching TV.

Fourth day:
If you trust the voucher then this should be the third canoeing day, but it isn't. It is the departure day where you do nothing but waiting for the staff to bring you to the bus stop.

To summarize:
4 days are 1 arrival day where you do nothing
2 days with a couple of hours canoeing and nothing to do for the rest of the day
1 day where you just leave in the morning

makes 2 days 1 night canoe camping (not a tour) plus 1 night dorm accom (quite a nice idea actually their beds; I can imagine that this could be part of a real bush camping) plus 1 night tent accom

bush camp feeling absolutely failed
canoeing boring and unguided
mud water from the ground and they tell you its drinking water

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank White Eagl e
Also consider these accommodations in or near Noosa
Rainforest Holiday Village
#4 of 5 in Mapleton
Maroochy River Park
Maroochy River Park
#14 of 43 in Maroochydore

Been to Gagaju Bush Camp? Share your experiences!