“Disappointing Security Arrangement”

SandCastles Apartments
Ranked #57 of 141 Specialty Lodging in Noosa
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband and I were unfortunately robbed two nights into a seven night prepaid stay Upon retiring for the evening we locked both doors and while we slept someone entered our unit and stole our cash and wallets, camera, phones and watches. We awoke in the early hours and discovered the robbery and went to the manager's unit to wake him and notify him that we had been robbed and we had called the police. We contemplated cutting short our holiday but were informed that we would only receive a refund if the management were able to rent the unit. We stayed for the seven nights and we were very nervous and did not enjoy sound sleep. The managers did not display any empathy for our predictment, they did not offer any assistance to us and they had agreed to bear the cost of our phone calls from the unit phone to cancel our phones and cards etc, but when we were checking out they expected us to pay the phone bill. Our experience of this establishment was not pleasant and we would not recommend it to anyone. It might be one of the cheaper establishments that overlooks Noosa beach but it is a far cry from being a secure establishment and in our opinion the management need to take a course in how to empathise with victims of a crime..

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Disgruntled023
sandcastlesnoosa, Manager at SandCastles Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2010

I was very dissapointed to read this misleading information. As managers we were both very concerned that we had actually had a burglary on our premises, and when awoken at 4am, Gary spent more than an hour at that time, with the guests and police to assist. The conclusion was, (and by the police as well) that the door could not have been locked properly initially. The reason that I can confirm this is because the guests actually locked themselves out (after hours) on the very same balcony they claimed the intruders used to enter their room??
As for the phone calls, we told them we would look after them with the calls they had to make, expecting 5 to 10 calls, not $130 worth! On check out we told them we would not require payment.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

Great position and I guess that's how they hook you.
We booked late for a long weekend and it was really the only 2 bedroom unit left on Hastings Street.
The apartments nearest Hastings St are very very noisy, so sleep is disturbed
You can hear everything above you and I guess next to you, because all the road and street noise comes through clear as a bell.
The apartments are old and the decor is dark stained chunky pine/A-Mart.
The bathrooms are borderline
In any service industry people check the big things and you die by the small stuff.
When we arrived a little late I tried the service phone, but it was broken.So I used my mobile.The reception person asked quite tersely why I hadn't used the night phone, and when I said it wasn't working, she said"Well it was half an hour ago".
What does that mean?..that she thought I broke it?..that she didn't believe me when I said I'd tried it?
We booked in a as a family and on day 3 noticed our toilet roll (which was half empty on arrival) needed replacement.
Nothing in the unit.
Advice from reception was that it was "self-catering" and really we should purchase our own.
It is VERY self-catering and tired, but again, position position position.
Once you arrive, you really don't need to drive anywhere again.
It has a very nice pool and spa.
Lots of my friends stay in Noosaville these days, and my thoughts are we would either book earlier and pay more for better accommodation on Hastings Street, or spend half the amount of money and stay in great accommodation further down the river.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank captainbucket
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Our family recently stayed with another family at Sandcastles. We both have young children so were looking for accommodation in a great location on the beach side of Hastings street. Sandcastle apartments were the best value for money in this category as most other accommodation on the beach side is $450 ++ even in the low season.

If you are looking at trying to compare the value of this accommodation for an equivalent you will be disappointed. $300 in Brisbane CBT will get you something very nice, 4 stars but Sandcastles is more your average run of the mill apartment. It is in a great location which is what justifies the price.

Before booking we were very concerned about staying here because of the negative reviews. We did not experience any of the negatives comments such as poor cleanliness etc at all. We stayed in 2 bedroom apartments on the road side of the complex which was a little noisy on Saturday night but very clean with modern kitchens and spacious lounge area. The verandahs look into the trees on one of the walks which is pleasant. Furniture is relatively modern. The bathrooms are a little older than the rest of the apartment but still very clean.

The apartment has a great pool area which opens onto the esplanade. The BBQ area is great and pool is heated. This was ideal with young children as we could just walk down to the beach each morning and have dinner in the BBQ area.

Next time we would probably rebook or look at staying on the other side of Hastings street as it would be just as easy to walk across the road each day to the beach for a little cheaper rate. At time of booking Sandcastles offered just as good price as the other options on the shop side of Hastings street.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Don't know what the lady who complained about cleanliness was talking about. After reading her review we expected the worst, but we were very pleasantly surprised. Our 1br poolside condo was great - so were the 2br unit and the loft condo of our extended family. (6 adults and 2 children). Units were clean, well equipped and owners could not be more helpful and pleasant . Have stayed all over the world in 5 star accom and while this would only rate at around 3-4 star you would not find anything better with such a great location at the rate we payed for our one week stay - including Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Well maintained pool right at our back door and direct access to a gorgeous beach only 20 metres away. Located on Noosa's main street this complex was quiet, private and completely enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2009

This was our second stay at the Sandcastles and once again I wasn't disappointed.
We had two apartments over our stay one of the two bedroom ones with views over the woods and a beachfront one. The two bedroom isn't hugely flash but is adequate with nice views over woods very private and quiet. The kitchen was well equiped with plenty of kitchen utensils plates etc dishwasher full fridge etc. We also had a 1 bedroom beachfront which was more modern and faces onto beach. Very nice and comfortable once again good kitchen facilities etc.
The thing we like about Sandcastles is it is on the beach but has some grass in between beach and apartments so you don't feel like everyone on the beach is watching you in the pool etc. The pool area is really nice and usually pretty quiet as there is only 14 apartments in the block. We barbecued by the pool at night and then the owners come and clean it for you.
The owners are very friendly and stop and chat as you see them. We had relieve people for some of our stay as the owners were away and they were equally nice and helpful. They would help you with anything you needed and made it feel a relaxed easy going holiday. We spoke to few other guests while there and they were all equally happy with everything. We looked at a couple of other beachfront apartments which were alot more expensive some were more modern but very small and hotel feeling with a lot less privacy.
If you are looking for beachfront privacy without spending too much Sandcastles is a good option.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank noosamad
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I paid $1600 for 6 nights accommodation through Lastminute.com, paying the full cost in advance. This was my 8th visit to Noosa and my first visit to this hotel.. I was given a key and went to the room. I found the accommodation to be unclean and when I returned to reception to complain, receptionis returned with me and agreed that the room could be cleaned better, but when I questioned the smell from the toilet, she denied that she could smell anything. The toilet brush was filthy and the smell may have come from this, but the area around the toilet was very very unclea;n. The bedding was also dirty, with marks on the cover. When I pointed this out, I was told it could be changed! There was a coffee mug stain on the table, along with dried fluid; which had been spilled and not cleanued up. I was told this could be cleaned up and that I was being too ridiculous with my expectations of the level of cleanliness. I advised that I would be unable tp stay n room; and was told that no refund would be forthcoming and that it was my problem. I returned to the room with some friends minutes later, and they agreed that the room was dirty and the place run down. When we went back to receptionist, the receptionist just shrugged!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank katymaroo
Reviewed October 23, 2008

My partner and I stayed for three nights at Sandcastles in Hastings St, Noosa. Its location is great, right on Hastings St with walking access to a wide range of shops and restaurants. The apartments are right on the beach.
As far as the apartments themselves go, they are adequate, but are not very well equipped. They are a little tired, despite being refurbished. We were a little disappointed considering the money we were paying.
We would recommend staying in Noosaville instead.
A and J
New Zealand

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Kiwis13