“Value for money on Hastings street”

SandCastles Apartments
Ranked #72 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Noosa
Queensland, Australia
“Value for money on Hastings street”
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Our family recently stayed with another family at Sandcastles. We both have young children so were looking for accommodation in a great location on the beach side of Hastings street. Sandcastle apartments were the best value for money in this category as most other accommodation on the beach side is $450 ++ even in the low season.

If you are looking at trying to compare the value of this accommodation for an equivalent you will be disappointed. $300 in Brisbane CBT will get you something very nice, 4 stars but Sandcastles is more your average run of the mill apartment. It is in a great location which is what justifies the price.

Before booking we were very concerned about staying here because of the negative reviews. We did not experience any of the negatives comments such as poor cleanliness etc at all. We stayed in 2 bedroom apartments on the road side of the complex which was a little noisy on Saturday night but very clean with modern kitchens and spacious lounge area. The verandahs look into the trees on one of the walks which is pleasant. Furniture is relatively modern. The bathrooms are a little older than the rest of the apartment but still very clean.

The apartment has a great pool area which opens onto the esplanade. The BBQ area is great and pool is heated. This was ideal with young children as we could just walk down to the beach each morning and have dinner in the BBQ area.

Next time we would probably rebook or look at staying on the other side of Hastings street as it would be just as easy to walk across the road each day to the beach for a little cheaper rate. At time of booking Sandcastles offered just as good price as the other options on the shop side of Hastings street.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
sydney
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Don't know what the lady who complained about cleanliness was talking about. After reading her review we expected the worst, but we were very pleasantly surprised. Our 1br poolside condo was great - so were the 2br unit and the loft condo of our extended family. (6 adults and 2 children). Units were clean, well equipped and owners could not be more helpful and pleasant . Have stayed all over the world in 5 star accom and while this would only rate at around 3-4 star you would not find anything better with such a great location at the rate we payed for our one week stay - including Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Well maintained pool right at our back door and direct access to a gorgeous beach only 20 metres away. Located on Noosa's main street this complex was quiet, private and completely enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
auckland
Reviewed December 1, 2009

This was our second stay at the Sandcastles and once again I wasn't disappointed.
We had two apartments over our stay one of the two bedroom ones with views over the woods and a beachfront one. The two bedroom isn't hugely flash but is adequate with nice views over woods very private and quiet. The kitchen was well equiped with plenty of kitchen utensils plates etc dishwasher full fridge etc. We also had a 1 bedroom beachfront which was more modern and faces onto beach. Very nice and comfortable once again good kitchen facilities etc.
The thing we like about Sandcastles is it is on the beach but has some grass in between beach and apartments so you don't feel like everyone on the beach is watching you in the pool etc. The pool area is really nice and usually pretty quiet as there is only 14 apartments in the block. We barbecued by the pool at night and then the owners come and clean it for you.
The owners are very friendly and stop and chat as you see them. We had relieve people for some of our stay as the owners were away and they were equally nice and helpful. They would help you with anything you needed and made it feel a relaxed easy going holiday. We spoke to few other guests while there and they were all equally happy with everything. We looked at a couple of other beachfront apartments which were alot more expensive some were more modern but very small and hotel feeling with a lot less privacy.
If you are looking for beachfront privacy without spending too much Sandcastles is a good option.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank noosamad
Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I paid $1600 for 6 nights accommodation through Lastminute.com, paying the full cost in advance. This was my 8th visit to Noosa and my first visit to this hotel.. I was given a key and went to the room. I found the accommodation to be unclean and when I returned to reception to complain, receptionis returned with me and agreed that the room could be cleaned better, but when I questioned the smell from the toilet, she denied that she could smell anything. The toilet brush was filthy and the smell may have come from this, but the area around the toilet was very very unclea;n. The bedding was also dirty, with marks on the cover. When I pointed this out, I was told it could be changed! There was a coffee mug stain on the table, along with dried fluid; which had been spilled and not cleanued up. I was told this could be cleaned up and that I was being too ridiculous with my expectations of the level of cleanliness. I advised that I would be unable tp stay n room; and was told that no refund would be forthcoming and that it was my problem. I returned to the room with some friends minutes later, and they agreed that the room was dirty and the place run down. When we went back to receptionist, the receptionist just shrugged!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank katymaroo
New Zealand
Reviewed October 23, 2008

My partner and I stayed for three nights at Sandcastles in Hastings St, Noosa. Its location is great, right on Hastings St with walking access to a wide range of shops and restaurants. The apartments are right on the beach.
As far as the apartments themselves go, they are adequate, but are not very well equipped. They are a little tired, despite being refurbished. We were a little disappointed considering the money we were paying.
We would recommend staying in Noosaville instead.
A and J
New Zealand

• Liked — Its location with Hastings St on one side and the beach on the other
  • Disliked — the apartments
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Kiwis13
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2008

My husband and I stayed in a two-bedroom apartment at SandCastles in March 2008 along with another couple for a wedding. We were there for four nights, and we were very happy with the property.

Our apartment had a view over the park (called Noosa Woods, I think), and it had two bedrooms, a full kitchen with a dining area, a living room, a balcony, a bathroom with a shower and sink and a separate room with the toilet. We found the apartment very nice and clean, although the furnishings were beginning to show signs of age. The kitchen had everything we needed during our stay, including a full refridgerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher and dishes. The living room had a large sofa, a flat screen television, DVD player and stereo. The two bedrooms were minimally furnished but had plenty of space for our belongings. The bathroom was a good size, with a large shower and sink.

Friends of ours also stayed at SandCastles, and they had a one-bedroom apartment that overlooked the beach and the property's pool. The view was lovely, and their one-bedroom apartment was quite similar to our two-bedroom. The pool area was a bit small but very nice. It had a pool, hot tub, barbeque grill and many tables and chairs for the guests. Beyond the pool area, guests could walk out to the beautiful beach.

SandCastles also had free laundry facilities and a covered space for our rental car. The owners were very friendly and helpful, although they were only available during normal business hours.

We were there during SandCastles' low season rates and found it to be a great deal. I think it offers fewer of the nice extras of the nearby resorts - for example, there's no restaurant and only weekly housekeeping service - but we didn't find that a problem. Hastings Street is a well developed area with lots of restaurants and shops nearby. The property is located at the top of the street, and because of this, it's a bit more quiet.

I enjoyed our stay and felt like we had found a good deal in a nice location. I would happily stay there again, and I'd recommend it to my friends as well.

• Liked — The location at the top of the street/beach
  • Disliked — The infrequent housekeeping service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business