“A great week away” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Mandurah
Melbourne, Australia
“A great week away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

Our adjoining delux studio apartments were clean and spacious. It was great having the door between allowing privacy if needed. The couch and bed were comfortable. The flat screen TV had great reception but a little lacking in the movie program department, the TV guide indicated that there should be more movies available. Cooking facilities were adequate for a quick meal and the outdoor gas bbq great. Staff were always helpful and security was available for check in out of hours. Access to the beach and restaurants was fabulous. I think the three and a half star rating is spot on and the Atrium Hotel is great value for money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank zephyr4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

I stayed for one night, in the so called deluxe room. Bed was good and okay size tv bathroom was an absolute joke!!! Could hardly move! No fan in the bathroom either. As we walked in I was just so shocked we only paid 115 for the deluxe room I was looking forward to a nice hot bath but no chance. Pool and spa was so nice relaxing and heated I like the indoor pool idea. Staff were very plesent had a problem with the tv not getting all channels but called reception and they fixed it straight away. They were lovely and instantly came to help. I think being an old hotel built in the 70's it would of been modern then but for this day and age it needs to be totally updated! Bigger bathrooms is the main thing. Tiniest ocean view. Overall they have the right idea I like it here but would only go back if they had a complete restoration and renovation. After all you get what you paid for.

• Stayed March 2011
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

paid $260 for family room (2 bed) felt like prison cell! bathroom tiny, ants in it, shower too small to fit one person in let alone kids. beds reasonable, furniture just ok (all new- but poor quality) kitchen upgraded but original shelves inside, not enough chairs/crockery or cutlery for number of people staying. would go back only if room was well below $200 which is still top dollar for what it is. Don't bother paying extra for ocean view as it is minimal and you have to go onto dirty balcony to glimpse it

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank chicky_11

Travelers are raving about these Mandurah hotels

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

This hotel is fantastic for winter, the indoor pool makes it a great place to have a winter weekend getaway. It's so close to town, walking distance to cinema etc...BUT, I can't bring myself to stay there again.

I decided to pay the extra to have a 2bed apartment for 2 nights and was instantly appalled at what we paid! I don't like to create a fuss and should really have complained but I put up with it.

With 2 kids to shower it was difficult, even I felt clostraphobic having a shower alone. The bathroom was very cramped. We stayed in a different room before and it seemed a lot more reasonable, but I 'upgraded' to the newly furnished room. Wish I hadn't. The pillows were lumpy and, I was pregnant at the time, had the worst night sleep I could remember!

The buffet breakfast is good, the kids have a ball helping themselves to everything! And the dinner the previous evening was lovely. The staff are helpful and polite, not over the top or in your face.

It's such a shame, I really really want to stay there again as I do like it - I just don't think it's value for money. As I said though, maybe we'll go back in winter.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank BuccBayFamilyHoliday
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for our vacation and loved it. The staff are all very lovely and we found the experience very welcoming. The indoor pool was just the best! The outdoor pool was just a bonus. The indoor pool is open until 10pm each night and all the children in the hotel would swim up until the last moment. Laughter was all you could hear if you were outside of your room. We had a deluxe one-bedroom apartment ocean side and it was really nice. Not modern and cold but clean and homely. We had a minor problem with in-house movies (which are all late releases for free!) on our TV and the wonderful staff upgraded us to a two-bedroom apartment ocean side. Once again very clean and nice. Both rooms had a little kitchen and you can easily cook any meal you wish. Seeing as it was our annual vacation we ate out alot. We were so well positioned in Mandurah it was only a beautiful brief stroll to a massive variety of places to eat. The Atrium also does meals if you don’t feel like cooking or going out. Everything about this hotel is fantastic for families. They have thought of lots of little extras. All of the staff, housemaids, reception, bar staff etc.. were all warm and helpful. The hotel is reasonably priced on top of everything. Thankyou so much to everyone

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Lilic1
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

After hearing a radio promo, we stayed here for two nights just to get away from it all. Our two bedroom suite on the fourth floor was clean but very basic and dated. The refrigerator was so loud it kept us awake on the first night. When I asked the receptionist if they could do something about it, i was told 'We'll see what we can do but can't guarantee you anything'. That was I guess because the service man was not on duty for another few hours. The fridge however was replaced.
Dont bother calling for room service coz, there isn't any. We were a bit peckish and were advised by reception to call for a pizza to be delivered!!! There is only one small bar which was only open from 6 til 8pm and no restaurant at all so dining and brekky ar out of the question.
There are a couple of function rooms which appear to have been abandoned some years back. That's what I assumed because I could almost see thru the windows that hadn't been cleaned since Jack was a boy.
This place is way past its use by date. It was built in the seventies and is in dire need of renovation or replacement. The staff dont want to be there and you cant blame them, the guests dont either :-(
Do yourself a favour and stay anywhere else. It's a dump.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Bofman
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Having little time but still longing for another getaway, my girlfriend and I went to the Atrium for a weekend escape.
We went in not knowing what to expect, we had read the reviews but kept an open mind, reviews had been wrong before.

Before this even happened though, we had an issue: I was overcharged $25.
A trivial amount, yes, but still an amount all the same. I politely rang up and spoke to who I now know was the manager, after inital disbelief she checked into it and saw the error and refunded me without an issue.

So, the weekend came and we arrived. We were in a studio room on the first floor. After fiddling with the tricky door we went in - the room was dated with cracked tiles in the bathroom and it was rather plain but it was pleasant and clean. The room we had was above their main operations part - you know, with the water systems etc. Not the nicest view below, but we did have a slight view of the ocean.

However, the bed was awful. Terribly soft and quite easy to fall off. I can inform you with great pleasure that on the Monday we checked out they were replacing all the beds on that floor. Given my girlfriend had broken her rib in the horrific storms of the prior week, it wasn't particular comfortable for her either.

That night we had our next issue. It was hot. Very hot. It wasn't even a particularly warm night (the day had been about 25 degrees with some rain), but my girlfriend and I were more than a little bit uncomfortable and the air conditoner seemed not to be providing any relief. The only way we could cool off was to stand on the balcony, but that wasn't very practical at 2 AM in the morning.

So, day two arrived and after spending the day out, we arrive back to find the room still stuffy and horrible. I tried to fiddle with the air conditioner yet again and it did nothing, produced less air than I could produce with my own lungs.

Unimpressed, I went to the reception and informed them. This is where the hotel stands out: The service of its staff. They moved us to another room, and as an apology, we were upgraded to the deluxe studios on the 4th floor. A much nicer room with a MUCH nicer bed and cooler air conditioner. This particular room had a kitchen, though some of them don't.
The view we had was over the town, and during the night I enjoyed laying, staring at the lights and the river and everything else.

The indoor pool was very crowded on the Saturday evening, as to be expected, with many children and few older teenagers making the most, but come Sunday it was dead, and even by 8PM on the Saturday is was oddly quiet.

The hotel decor itself, whilst not dazzling, has an odd sense of pretty about it. The vine-look over each floor is a pleasant effect and the morning sun shining on the pillars makes for a nice start to the morning.

In terms of location, then the Atrium is a winner, being only minutes away from Dome, Cicerellos and that general area (you can even see the Atrium from said area).

One quick note though is that the Restaurant is closed until further notice. My guess would be because it isn't peak season anymore, which is understandable.
The bar, however, was functioning and seemed to be relax and laid back from what little attention we paid it.

If you're wondering whether you should book your stay at the Atrium my advice is to ask yourself what you want most. If it's top of the line luxury with every possible indulgence at your fingertips, then the answer is a resounding no. If an affordable, comfortable more laid back approach is what you seek, then the Atrium will suit you to a tee.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple