“Poor customer service by management”
Review of The Sebel Mandurah

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Mandurah
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My daughter booked a room in your hotel for my husband and myself for his birthday. We stayed on Saturday l5th sept. for one night. We were originally booked in a room on the fourth floor but I am not comfortable with lifts and the receptionist very kindly said that she could find us a room on first floor which I was very impressed with and grateful for. However we were not told that this room was above the pub and there was a live band playing that night. We
went into the room that afternoon and were happy with the accomodation which was very clean and modern. We went out all that afternoon and didn't return to the hotel until about 8.30pm. That is when we realised the pub was below and there was a live band playing. I tried to watch the TV and my husband by this time was tired and wanted to sleep which was an impossibility. About 9.30pm I went along to reception to see how long this would go on and she said she would call them and ask them to tone it down a little and said that they would finish at 10.30pm. They did finish at 10.50pm. Please don't get me wrong..I love music and the band was really good but we went to Mandurah for a quiet couple of days. In the morning when we were checking out I decided to say something and noticed that the woman who offered us the alternate room was there so I said to her that we would never have taken the room had we been told it was over the pub and it being a Saturday night there was a band playing. She was not very helpful just asked what room we were in and then proceeded to turn and attend to other guests who had arrived.although there was another receptionist on the desk It certainly was not my intent to make a fuss in front of other guests but I thought that she was very rude and did not even apologise or acknowledge me after that. I am not satisfied with the customer service I received from a so called manager. My husband and I go to Mandurah often for a break away and have stayed in several places with absolutely no complaints. The Sebel is a lovely hotel in a prestigious position but I found lacking in customer service.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put above the pub especially on a Saturday night
1  Thank Ann A
Leighton Y, General Manager at The Sebel Mandurah, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Ann A,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us on Saturday 15th September.

I certainly apologise for tarnishing your husband's birthday with this shortcoming. Whilst I am pleased that your initial request of a room move was acted on swiftly I am sorry that it then opened up a secondary problem.
We enjoy a close relationship with M on the Point and I believe that as soon as their General Manager was made aware they changed the timing for the remaining acts with the band.

I am more apologetic however with the level of engagement by the staff member encountered on check-out. This is most definitely not what we are generally renowned for and I cannot apologise enough for this reaction by my team.

Please rest assured that I will follow this up further with the applicable department managers to prevent a recurrence.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed only one night at The Sebel Mandurah and were impressed with the standard of this hotel. There was nothing to fault about it, especially the cleanliness and amenities. We did not know much about Mandurah until we arrived and thought it was a delightful one night stop before heading off to Perth. The location has a great holiday feel and there is some lovely areas to walk around. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leighton Y, General Manager at The Sebel Mandurah, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear dvaniersel;

Thank you for placing your comments regarding your recent stop-over in Mandurah. Your feedback will certainly serve as encouragement to all of our team as we continually strive towards maintaining a positive experience for all of our guests.

Thanks again,

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Sebel Mandurah last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and because I wanted to make sure that this was the right location for my sister's wedding to be held late next year. The rooms were fantastic, the bathroom was perfect and well equipped, and the view was amazing. The service provided by the bar staff downstairs, the waiter at M on the Point, and the reception staff could not be faltered. Everthing we ate or drank was perfect. I was very impressed that our room service breakfast was even hot on delivery (usually we end up eating cold scrambled eggs). Although the accommodation is rather expensive relative to surrounding hotels, I cannot complain about any of our experience. I am so pleased that The Sebel is the perfect place for my sister to have her wedding. We have booked and paid the deposit. Thank you!

Room Tip: The King Rooms are perfect.

Dear KylieWS;

Thank you so much for placing your wonderful feedback onto TripAdvisor. As a General Manager it is always pleasing to see that our team are positively engaging with our guests to provide a memorable experience.

All the very best for the planning of the wedding and look forward to seeing you back at The Sebel Mandurah!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Friendly staff. Easy check-in. Comfortable room. Wonderful sitting on the balcony. Bar fridge contents reasonably priced. Walls were a bit grubby. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Dear Julie C;

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at The Sebel Mandurah. I will be sure to communicate to the team your experience. Please trust that I will get onto the cleaning of the walls in your room as well - my apologies for that shortcoming.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I were holidaying in WA from Sydney and we gound Mandurah was a fantastic town and the Sebel is definitely the place to stay! It has amazing views from the balcony off our room and its position was within easy walk to everything in the area. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The restaurant downstairs provided beautiful breakfasts. We would recommend Sebel Mandurah to anyone as it is certainly the place to stay in WA.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear TouringWA14;

It was a delight to read your post regarding your recent stay in Mandurah and The Sebel. I hope that the rest of your holiday is as good as this one!

Happy travels,

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night at the Sebel Hotel in Mandurah and all in all it was a great experience. However we were rather disappointed with being unable to access room service from the restaurant until 6pm. The breakfast at M Restaurant was very disappointing due to the fact that we had only 2 items to choose from. Choice 1 being muesili and yoghurt and the other option being eggs and toast. Where was the bacon? Where was the option for fresh fruit, pancakes or fruit toast? This was our only gripe regarding this hotel. In every other aspect of our stay we were very impressed with the level of service we recieved. We would like to stay again but the food menu and room service issues would need to improve first.

Dear Robyn20071978;

Thank you for your review. it was pleasing to see that the service encountered was of a high level.

Thank you as well for providing the feedback on the new plated breakfast package. This is only a relatively new package and was designed to provide guests a bed & breakfast package. We will certainly review the inclusions and modify to represent better value for money.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I just returned from my 5th stay at the Sebel travelling on business. I continue to come back to this hotel as it has a great location and the rooms and overall experience are consistently positive.

The rooms are all very nice and modern, I have stayed in a number including the ground floor. Even if you have a room with a view of the car park, you still have a nice view of the bay so I have never had an issue with any of the rooms. Housekeeping to a good job in servicing the rooms which are always very neat and nicely maintained. I find the beds to be very comfortable and the bathrooms are beautiful. If you can, get a room with a bath, as you can watch TV and look over the bay through an ingenius glass wall between the bathroom and the main suite.

The service from reception is always very friendly and efficient. On this occasion, I was advised that there was a bottle of wine chilling for me compliments of the Manager - this was brought up quickly after I settled into my room. I was really impressed with this gesture, which was accompanied by a hand-written note by the General Manager, Leighton. These are the unexpected touches that make the Sebel stand out to me amongst other hotels I have stayed at while on business. You can tell that there is a lot of pride in the staff at this hotel and it shows.

One area where the hotel does fall down in my opinion is the customer service of the restaurant staff. While they are polite and friendly I encounter problems frequently when dealing with them. For example, when heading out for a walk along the bay one evening, I tried to make an order for room service at the restaurant on my way out. I was advised that I couldn't do this as they didn't know what the room service menu was, and they suggested I walk back to my room and then call them with what I want to order. Another example is asking for chicken to be added to a cesar salad (yes, there were other chicken dishes on the menu); after hearing the conversation going on in the background for 5 minutes, I was told that it wasn't possible to add chicken. Even small requests outside the normal seem to be completely out of their ability to provide and this attitude is in conflict with the seamless service I have experienced elsewhere.

The food is generally very good, prompt service at the restaurant and also room service. I enjoyed the steak sandwich and pork belly on this visit (but beware the pork belly is quite fatty). My recommendation would be to stay away from any type of poached eggs unless you like them pretty much raw.

The location is great as you can go for a walk around the bay, and there are numerous hotels and coffee shops within a quick walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Leighton Y, General Manager at The Sebel Mandurah, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear Kate K:

Thank you for placing your generous feedback onto TripAdvisor and it was a pleasure having you back for your 5th stay.

I am sorry that I was unable to welcome you back on this occasion, however I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to Mandurah.

Thank you once again for your comments, it is certainly appreciated.