“Just average”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Como
Perth
“Just average”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My room overlooked the Freeway & the Swan River. Noise level was fine. Service was just OK. When I checked out the staff member processed my credit card transaction, handed me the receipt & after I said "thanks" she just put her head down & kept working. No thanks or goodbye from her so off I went. Room service for dinner was fine although my tray was still outside the door in the morning. Free parking in the street is great. The rooms are OK although a little "90's" & getting tired. When the hotel is refurbished one day it will be fantastic as it is such a great location & it feels safe & secure while you are there. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here for a number of nights and it was the best of an expensive selection of accommodations available. Loved the washing machine in bathroom and kitchenette. Suited our needs. Good location if you have a car. Easy access to Perth City and surrounds via freeway. Even in January we parked on the street so no need for $15 per night parking. Walking distance to a small park, lovely houses, and a couple of mid range restaurants. Do not get a room at the front. Freeway noise. All other room locations fine. This hotel is tired, not your swank up market anything, but Perth accommodation is expensive everywhere and parking in city hotels exorbitant. (on top of room rates.) I would stay again, staff friendly, just lower your expectations.

Room Tip: Nothing on the front.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank melb50ish
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

While I gather Perth is meant to be expensive, at some point you have to be able to back up what you are charging. The location is pretty good. Easy access to coffee, restaurants and the CBD. The room was pretty dated. The floor beneath the small refrigerator was rotting. My cold water faucet handle freely rotated for infinity. No wifi and $15 for parking when free parking is immediately available.

Since this stay, I have stayed down the street, for less, free parking, friendlier staff, happy hour and a cheaper rate for a more modern room. Same location. You can do the math.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Barnsey9999
EsplanadeGM, General Manager at Pagoda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We take all of our guest feedback very seriously and always look to improve our service and standards to ensure that we can deliver an exceptional experience to future guests.

It was disappointing to read that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations in regards to the room. I have noted your comments in regards to the floor beneath the mini bar fridge and this has been rectified. We have also rectified the cold water faucet. We are always thankful to our guests for bringing any maintenance issues to our attention so that we can have them fixed immediately. Whilst a room maintenance program is in place we do find that guests will pick up issues before our team can get there.

I must sincerely apologise for you not being informed about the complimentary WiFi in the rooms. I will ensure that our team are much more vigilant with communicating this with all of our guests. I will ensure that they also give both the free parking option and the off street parking option so the guests are much more informed. The free parking is just one of the many advantages of our location in South Perth.

Once again I do thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of your stay and we hope that you visit us again here at The Esplanade River Suites South Perth.
Brisbane
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We (my wife and I, plus our 2 year old and 4 year old) just finished a 5 night stay here, which was disappointing to say the least. The room was very tired and the decor in need of an upgrade. There were spa baths in both bathrooms, neither one worked. You needed to be a safe-cracker to get a reasonable temperature on the shower taps too. Some power points didn't work, the kettle didn't work, and the door to the balcony (on the first floor) didn't lock. Didn't make me feel too comfortable leaving anything of value in the room! The tvs didn't work unless they were unplugged for 5 minutes before use. The staff didn't seem too interested in doing any more than the minimum to assist so it's just as well we didn't spend a great deal of time in the room.
On the plus side, the location of the hotel is great, and the pool and gym are well maintained. The rooms were well serviced each morning, however our door was left open (intentionally left ajar) when we returned one day. Great security guys!
If you're into throwing money away, you can pay $15 per day for on-site parking (this was a nice surprise at check out!) or there is ample free parking on the street.
For a hotel that has numerous posters stating "South Perth's finest..." I would certainly expect better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
EsplanadeGM, General Manager at Pagoda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2012

It was disappointing to read that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations in regards to the room. I have noted your comments in regards to the items within the room that did not operate. My sincerest apologies as there must have been a fuse that was not operational to have as many items as stated not operational as each room is attached to a multiple of individual safety circuit breakers which contain a multiple of appliances. These items must have been on the same circuit.

The staff would have been extremely happy to rectify this situation for you. These safety switches are placed into the rooms for the protection of our guests and on this occasion one of them must have tripped.

I noted your comments in regards to the balcony door. These are all self locking and for this reason there is no visual lock on them as the safety of our guests is paramount so we fitted all balcony doors with this mechanism. From the outside they cannot be opened. I will ensure that our staff inform the guests on check in so there is no confusion.

In regards to the parking I will ensure that the staff also give both the free parking option and the off street parking option so the guests are much more informed. The free on street parking is just one of the many advantages of our location in South Perth.

Travelers are raving about these Como hotels

perth, western australia
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is the 3rd time I have stayed here on business - parking is additional $14 (rip off) - no free wifi - rooms are OK, clean for the most part but starting to look very dated - location is good, Como Centre is nearby with supermarket and bottle shop and restaurant choices in surrounding streets - ate in hotel restaurant (mostly set menus) - small serves and very hit and miss - overall this hotel is OK for a few days on business, nothing special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
EsplanadeGM, General Manager at Pagoda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We take comments from our guests very seriously and continue to search for ways to improve our service and standards to ensure that we deliver an exceptional experience for future guests.

It was disappointing to read that on this occasion we were unable to meet your expectations. I have ensured that the Executive Chef is a part of this process so that he can ensure that the quality of food leaving the kitchen is of the highest standard at all times. Whilst there are a number of set menus on offer, the process is to ensure that they are changed regularly. In addition, there is also an a la carte menu that is available if our guests want an alternative. Service training will continue to be modified to ensure that our guests are aware of these options.

Whilst the parking and wi-fi are not complementary the pricing is in line with hotels located within Perth. I have noted your comments and they will definitely be discussed in upcoming management meetings regarding these services.

Once again I do thank for your valued comments and if I can be of service to you when next you visit Perth I would be more than happy for you to contact me.
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed at the hotel overnight for business as I will be doing on a monthly basis (from Melbourne) as my office is a short walk away. The 2 bed apartment was well appointed, as i was sharing with another director and we found it clean & tidy. No shower curtain in either bathroom to cover the corner spa. Dated food in the mini bar didn't send the right message either. Found the check in time consuming and then each subsequent front desk request quite painful. Waited 30 mins for a cab on a Tuesday early evening before asking the desk staff to intervene and call again. All seemed a little too hard for them...
Breakfast was good, although the waiting staff once again were not the friendliest nor very helpful.
We checked out on the Wednesday morning, which again took an age as the staff member forgot to add items from the mini bar to the bill...and was most definitely not friendly, warm or remotely conversational.
All in all quite average although I have booked 2 more rooms (the 2 bed apartment and a pool view suite) for a stay in mid August for my management team. Hopefully we receive better service and friendlier staff this time around, or it will be the last!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank TonyJay7
EsplanadeGM, General Manager at Pagoda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind comments regarding our apartments and food.

I apologise that the performance of some of our staff did not meet your expectations. They are often commented on by our guests for their high levels of service, so it disappoints me that you did not experience this.

I have discussed your service comment with our Reception Services Manager and implemented corrective action to ensure our guests do not experience lengthy service delays.
If I can be of any assistance with any future stay with us at the Esplanade River Suites, please do not hesitate to contact me either in advance or during your stay.

Yours sincerely,

Rodney Coates

Chief Executive Officer
Broome, Australia
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I think the highlight staying here was its location. I stayed here for three nights for a conference and the food was exceptional. It was at your usual restuarant prices so around the $33 for a main meal. I would say though that I feel it is a bit over priced. The only other gripe would be paying the $14 to park the car in their private carpark. I feel that $14 per night is expensive but as I had a hire car I didnt want to risk the chance of it getting broken into. I would stay here again mainly because if its location. Easy to get on and off the freeway, the zoo is a 2 minute drive down the road and there are a few other restuarants in the area if you wanted to eat out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank EmmaHaynes
Thank you for selecting the Esplanade River Suites as your preferred Hotel for your recent stay in South Perth, and for the very kind comments regarding our restaurant and location.

Our guest car park does offer our guests the additional security when their vehicles are left unattended. As an alternative, guests may park their vehicles on nearby streets where parking is free.

I do value your comments and I hope that it is not too long before once again we have the opportunity of offering you a very warm welcome.

Yours sincerely,

Rodney Coates
Chief Executive Officer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Como
East Perth
East Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
#12 of 64 in Perth

Been to Pagoda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!