“Hmmmmm - Just OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Como
perth, western australia
“Hmmmmm - Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is the 3rd time I have stayed here on business - parking is additional $14 (rip off) - no free wifi - rooms are OK, clean for the most part but starting to look very dated - location is good, Como Centre is nearby with supermarket and bottle shop and restaurant choices in surrounding streets - ate in hotel restaurant (mostly set menus) - small serves and very hit and miss - overall this hotel is OK for a few days on business, nothing special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
EsplanadeGM, General Manager at Pagoda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We take comments from our guests very seriously and continue to search for ways to improve our service and standards to ensure that we deliver an exceptional experience for future guests.

It was disappointing to read that on this occasion we were unable to meet your expectations. I have ensured that the Executive Chef is a part of this process so that he can ensure that the quality of food leaving the kitchen is of the highest standard at all times. Whilst there are a number of set menus on offer, the process is to ensure that they are changed regularly. In addition, there is also an a la carte menu that is available if our guests want an alternative. Service training will continue to be modified to ensure that our guests are aware of these options.

Whilst the parking and wi-fi are not complementary the pricing is in line with hotels located within Perth. I have noted your comments and they will definitely be discussed in upcoming management meetings regarding these services.

Once again I do thank for your valued comments and if I can be of service to you when next you visit Perth I would be more than happy for you to contact me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed at the hotel overnight for business as I will be doing on a monthly basis (from Melbourne) as my office is a short walk away. The 2 bed apartment was well appointed, as i was sharing with another director and we found it clean & tidy. No shower curtain in either bathroom to cover the corner spa. Dated food in the mini bar didn't send the right message either. Found the check in time consuming and then each subsequent front desk request quite painful. Waited 30 mins for a cab on a Tuesday early evening before asking the desk staff to intervene and call again. All seemed a little too hard for them...
Breakfast was good, although the waiting staff once again were not the friendliest nor very helpful.
We checked out on the Wednesday morning, which again took an age as the staff member forgot to add items from the mini bar to the bill...and was most definitely not friendly, warm or remotely conversational.
All in all quite average although I have booked 2 more rooms (the 2 bed apartment and a pool view suite) for a stay in mid August for my management team. Hopefully we receive better service and friendlier staff this time around, or it will be the last!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank TonyJay7
EsplanadeGM, General Manager at Pagoda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind comments regarding our apartments and food.

I apologise that the performance of some of our staff did not meet your expectations. They are often commented on by our guests for their high levels of service, so it disappoints me that you did not experience this.

I have discussed your service comment with our Reception Services Manager and implemented corrective action to ensure our guests do not experience lengthy service delays.
If I can be of any assistance with any future stay with us at the Esplanade River Suites, please do not hesitate to contact me either in advance or during your stay.

Broome, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I think the highlight staying here was its location. I stayed here for three nights for a conference and the food was exceptional. It was at your usual restuarant prices so around the $33 for a main meal. I would say though that I feel it is a bit over priced. The only other gripe would be paying the $14 to park the car in their private carpark. I feel that $14 per night is expensive but as I had a hire car I didnt want to risk the chance of it getting broken into. I would stay here again mainly because if its location. Easy to get on and off the freeway, the zoo is a 2 minute drive down the road and there are a few other restuarants in the area if you wanted to eat out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank EmmaHaynes
Thank you for selecting the Esplanade River Suites as your preferred Hotel for your recent stay in South Perth, and for the very kind comments regarding our restaurant and location.

Our guest car park does offer our guests the additional security when their vehicles are left unattended. As an alternative, guests may park their vehicles on nearby streets where parking is free.

I do value your comments and I hope that it is not too long before once again we have the opportunity of offering you a very warm welcome.

Northam, Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

A nice hotel, set in a very good location, the customer service staff seemed slightly abrupt, but having three wedding receptions going on on the night may have had something to do with that. We weren't able to use the restaurant, as one of the receptions were using it, so I can't speak to the quality of the food. The room was mostly clean, however on walking in there was a used (washed) coffee cup sitting on the sink, and the cupboard with the toaster was full of crumbs, from the toaster. Our room was a double king suite, with two bedrooms and two spa bathrooms. The decor was slightly dated, and not of great quality. The bed was clean and comfortable, however the television in the room was mounted poorly, and was on an angle. The bathroom was atrocious, the toilet cistern was only just hanging on the wall, the spa bath was noisy and rattled when the pump was used, the washing machine was placed far too close to the toilet. Additionally, the shower was over the spa bath, which was not ideal. Finishing on the room was also poor, with one light switch lacking an outer cover, and a sign posted with all the air conditioner remotes that they leaked when used under 22C. The balcony was serviceable, however if anyone wanted to be on the balcony, the door had to be left open, otherwise they would be trapped on the balcony. This let in a high amount of traffic noise from the freeway and made it impossible to control the temperature in the apartment. The lifts were glitchy at best, one was stuck on level 2 for over five minutes, and the other one was out of service the next morning. Overall, whilst convenient, and 'nice', I will not be staying at this hotel again, and feel that the venue has passed its prime, and the public are being made to pay for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Joseph F
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Esplanade River Suites and for the kind comments about the Hotel and its superb location. I am however disappointed that you found our accommodation did not meet with your expectations. The hotel recently was awarded several industry accommodation awards and our other guests have rated the hotel very highly on this and other review websites, so it is with sincere regret that you did not experience this.

Chief Executive Officer

Travelers are raving about these Como hotels

Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We attended the Christmas in July Function on 14th July 2012 and stayed in the hotel.
Very disappointed that it was advertised in the Pagoda Ballroom, when in fact we were in a small room at the back of the hotel, the ballroom had a wedding function. The bar closed at 5pm due to this wedding so there were no facilities for a drink or food other than in your room. The idea of us staying the night was to enjoy the facilities before and after ie: have a drink in the bar before the function.
We selected a drink from the mini bar in room, it was over a year out of date and tasted it so then selected another one that was out of date too, eventually we found one just in date.
The music the DJ played at the function was SHOCKING !!!
On the positive the food and wine was good at the function, the service good.
The room average and in need of an upgrade I would say, especially the bathrooms. We did have a river view though which was lovely.
The cost $199 was fairly good though and the buffet breakfast inc in this price was great.
Would we stay again ? Probably but would check the facilities are going to be available and what room the function was in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your very kind comments regarding our food, wine, value and guest service. It was disappointing to read your comment regarding our mini bar facilities. As a direct result I have discussed this with our Food and Beverage Manager and implemented corrective action to ensure other guests do not have a similar experience. I particularly apologise for the inconvenience that was caused.

I have received other comments from guests who attended the function. A very high percentage expressed total satisfaction with the DJ. It is always difficult to play the choice of music that is acceptable by all different groups of guests. It’s disappointing that you did not enjoy our selection.

I do hope that the majority of your stay was enjoyable as we look forward to once again welcoming you back when next you require accommodation in the beautiful city of South Perth.

Nelson Bay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed her for a few days as part of a conference.

Whilst the property is near the river, and having a (limited) view, the freeway detracts from this aspect.

The room was reasonably spacious with a comfortable bed and a great shower (two very important things in my view).

Given we were there for a few days it was very beneficial to have a clothes washer and dryer in the bathroom. The dryer created a lot of heat even when set on "Low".

The restaurant is inviting and the food we were served was good. A highlight is to have a high tea although beware ... it is very popular.

It would be a very quick driver who could get to the CBD in the ten minutes quoted. Buses are only a block-and-half away and the service is good and inexpensive to the city.

We were surprised at the high charges for wireless access. Our view is that free wifi should be included in any hotel of this calibre. Similarly to charge extra for parking is a bit passe.

The staff were varied in their level of competency, knowledge and attitude and this would be the one thing I would be working on first if I was the manager. The senior staff exhibited how it should be done when responding to requests for assistance and information.

Room Tip: This is a big complex so be aware that some rooms at the back are a fair way from the lifts.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ken W
EsplanadeGM, General Manager at Pagoda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your views following your stay with us at Esplanade River Suites and for the nice comments regarding our location, staff, amenities, rooms and restaurant. You are correct in that our High Tea is very popular so I would advise to always book as far in advance as possible in order to avoid disappointment.

With regard to the wifi and parking I believe you will find that fees for these services are standard across hotels in the Perth metropolitan area although perhaps this may change in due course.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Esplanade River Suites when next you require accommodation in the beautiful city of South Perth.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

It's often hard to get a room for under $200 in Perth during the week, so I was surprised to find an "apartment" offering just that. Unfortunately, I had not read the reviews before booking or I would have looked elsewhere; the experience did not improve once actually being there.
Beginning with the check-in, where the person behind the counter who was simply rude, by firstly insisting that I did not have a booking, even after spelling of my full name and recommending I look elsewhere as they were supposedly full and secondly not even having the decency to apologise when I finally provided him with the printed out booking details...
Once in the room, it was old and dingy and had obviously been smoked in recently, with desk bin scared with cigarette burn holes. Opening the balcony door was not really an option, due to the noise level of the nearby freeway. The word "apartment" implies usually that there is some basic cooking options, in this place that consists of a microwave and sink. Parking and internet were exorbitantly priced, but that is unfortunately not unusual for Perth; the restaurant (and I use that term with some trepidation) really "took the Mickey" out of essentially its captive guests (there is not much else around, at least in walking distance).
I chose the "set menu" option as $49 for a two course meal with a drink seemed reasonable...
The entrée took over 40 mins to serve and the mains and additional 30 mins, asking a a bread roll while waiting seemed to frazzle the waitress (and cost me an additional $7) and the food was extremely plain (mains was boiled chicken, which seemed to have been put under a griller for a few seconds after slicing) - when it did finally arrive. That was on a quiet day (4-5 tables of 2-3 persons)! Breakfast was not much better, but self-service meant that at least it was speedy.
Overall, the base price is what sucks people into the place; by the time you add business essentials like parking, internet and a meal you are luck to escape spending less than $350 per night - you might find a better deal elsewhere (even in Perth), with a much better level of service and quality.

Room Tip: Getting a room that doesn't face the Kwinanna Freeway is an minimal bonus
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Roaming_AMo
Thank you for staying with us at the Esplanade River Suites. It was with extreme disappointment that I read your comments regarding our accommodation, restaurant and our service. After winning a number of industry accommodation awards over the years, it is with regret that you found our standard of accommodation did not meet your expectations.

As you will see from the many positive reviews that the hotel receives on this and other customer review websites, our hotel receives a great deal of accolades from our clientele, so once again I am disappointed that on this occasion the venue did not meet with your satisfaction.

When planning your next trip to our lovely city I would ask that you contact me personally and I will do my best to make sure your next stay with does meet with your expectations.

Rodney Coates
Also consider these accommodations in or near Como
East Perth
Perth CBD
COMO The Treasury
COMO The Treasury
#1 of 81 in Perth

Been to Pagoda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!