“Appalling!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Abbey Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Busselton
“Appalling!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

I stayed here on a recommendation from a friend. The room was dirty and the King Bed was just 2 twin beds pushed together. For the wedding the bar had agreed to stay open for when the wedding party came back to the hotel (we were all staying at the hotel - 15 of us). It was closed and the scruffy 'Manager' wearing a 'Mr Grumpy' tshirt said 'too bad not my problem'. I have stayed in better youth hostels and think anyone who stayed here would need rocks in their heads. I would say please look at any other options before staying here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bluefrog1976

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Korean first
Mandurah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

My partner and I stayed at this resort for two nights, as part of an organised tour. There were over 30 of us and our reception was friendly and efficient. We were shown to our rooms, on the 2nd floor quickly. There is a lift which made life easy. The room was spacious, clean and modern with a small balcony. There is airconditioning a tv and radio. The radio signal is not good, we rang reception regarding this. Afriendly maintenance guy appeared quickly, but the reception was still not good. It is hard to judge the value for money as we paid as part of our tour. All the staff were pleasant, but as it was off season, they were a little thin on the ground, the bar was not open and the lights in that area were switched off, which didn't help the ambience. Mind you, we found out at dinner a glass of wine cost $11, which seemed a bit rich, considering that this is winery country and normally a glass would cost around $6 or $7. We can't comment on the meals either as we were served a "special" or not so special, 3 course meal at dinner, which was dissapointing, in regard to quality and warmth. Breakfast was an unorganised smorgasboard. They were not geared up for us, cold eggs etc.

• Stayed May 2010
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

The resort is beautiful and well located in the south west. On the doorstep of everything - beaches, wine region, great food. I stayed two nights in a room with a spa. Very clean, spacious, with a balcony overlooking a few swimming pools. Took a few walks down to the beach which was beautiful. No dramas at all with check in or check out, or with anything. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

My girlfriend and I, after weeks of deliberating and discussion, decided to stay in Bussleton and almost immediately settled on Abbey Beach Resort.

After the two hour drive from the city, we arrived to a very beautiful looking exterior.
We entered the lobby and once again, were in awe of the sheer beauty.

We were given our swipe key soon after, and to our studio room we went.
It was lovely. High ceilings, a beautiful bathroom, a very very comfy bed. The balcony, whilst overlooking the car park, was still a comfortable place to sit.

Next, we went for the tour. The indoor pool is spacious and warm, the spa is also a lovely size and relaxing.
The two outdoor pools are both well sized also, the second one had a rock water cascade feature which I found nice, but the water was cold. This was good for us, given the weather was a lovely Low to mid 30's for our whole stay, but during the cooler months you may find this not the case.

The ducks in the river below aren't bothered by people at all, and will even walk up and past you as if you weren''t even there. There's a lovely wooden bridge and platform for you to view them towards the apartments.

The short walk to the beach is also a big winner for this hotel. The sand is very white and stretches for almost as far as the eye can see.
At night, it's so dark you can see absolutely nothing, we could actually see a strange light at 3 AM in the distance when we went for a walk. It was lovely.
The crabs, oh the crabs, they were also a point of amusement. All throughout the water were dozens of crabs in shallow water. It makes for a wonderful spectacle just to watch, or to catch, whatever your desire may be.

We chose not to use their room service or restauraunt, so we can't pass judgement, although it has to be said their breakfast did look delightful.

The local food court is approximately 2 minutes drive away, and although I had a bad experience at the pizza place (rotten spanish onion. It haunts me to this day), the choice is fairly vast, and the serving sizes are massive and the staff very friendly. Aside from the pizza incident, their food was delicious and I would thoroughly recommend.

To sum up. It's a wonderful place, and we had the luxury of being there when it was absolutely dead, so we had the run of the place.
We're certainly going to go back within the next few months.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

This is probably the worst hotel I have stayed in. Never a 5 star - compared to having stayed in the Venetian in Las Vegas! The Hotel is tired and very dated- needs a complete re-vamp.
I booked and paid seven months in advance, and got a room overlooking the car park with no option to chnage because I "had checked in too late" . This was at 2pm whne checking in was supposed to start. Trip should have been for 5 days, we only managed 2 and checked out on the 3rd day- without a refund!
Don't stay here.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank RozzyUK
perth, wa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed at the Abbey Beach Resort, which in itself wasn’t that bad. Don’t get me wrong – it wasn’t good, but it wasn’t terrible. For the most part the service was good, the rooms were clean and adequate and if you like fake plants than you’ll be in heaven. The café inside the resort though, was as close to culinary hell as I have ever come. Let me start at the beginning…

Upon arrival, we waited at the entrance while the staff overcame their confusion as to where we should be seated in the half empty café. We took our seats and asked for some water. After an extended period of time with no water or service of any kind, I walked up to the front desk to place our orders and to again ask for water for the table. The water finally came out along with our orange juices, presented in lovely plastic bottles. I asked politely for a straw.

When our meals finally arrived, the medium-rare steak that I’d ordered was rare on the outside and well-done to dead in the centre - an achievement in itself. It was accompanied by a Greek salad, which featured tiny, rubbery, orange chunks. We spent the rest of the meal debating whether these were carrot or sweet potato and wondering why either of these vegetables would be in a Greek salad in the first place. I decided the only way to save the meal was to drown it in tomato sauce, which turned out to be an additional $1.40. When you’re already paying $40 for a (crap) steak, this comes as a bit of a slap in the face.

I’d eaten (read: choked down) about a quarter of the meal when I realised that I’d had enough and now, feeling hungry and annoyed, just wanted to go back to our room. We walked up to the register and waited for about 15 minutes until we could find a staff member gracious enough to let us pay for the terrible meal and service. I told the staff I was not willing to pay for the steak, which was accepted, however no one had sufficient training on the register to be able to void the receipt that had already been printed. We were told the manager was too busy running the upstairs restaurant to come and attend to us, so just to pay the bill now and someone would fix it up the next morning. Did I mention that we’d also been charged for the beers from the table next to us? Oh and I never got my straw.

The next morning, we decided to check out quite early (we were now starving and wanted to eat breakfast somewhere else. ANYWHERE else). We were told the bill for dinner had been fixed. It sounded too good to be true and it was. Upon checking the bill, we realised we’d still been charged for the piece of rubber, sorry, steak, although they had been nice enough to refund us the beers and tomato sauce. The staff were again unable to modify the bill without a manager, who was again too busy to attend to us. I left an extensive complaint with the front desk, who assured me that they would give it straight to the General Manager. Of course I haven’t heard one word from this fine establishment since – now that’s service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank keentraveller8425
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

We booked a 3 bedroom apartment expecting to find a small place with 3 bedrooms and 1 shared bathroom. Nicely surprised to find 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3 toilets, large family/dining area and balcony. All staff were very friendly, the apartment was serviced every day, the whole complex was very clean and well maintained. Location and facilities were excellent and we had a lovely week. Will definitely recommend to others and be back again. Thank you Abbey Beach Resort.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Busselton
The Sebel Busselton
Aqua Resort Busselton
Aqua Resort Busselton
#1 of 14 in Busselton
Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton

Been to Abbey Beach Resort? Share your experiences!