“Dreadfull”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Busselton
UK
“Dreadfull”
Reviewed March 24, 2010

This is probably the worst hotel I have stayed in. Never a 5 star - compared to having stayed in the Venetian in Las Vegas! The Hotel is tired and very dated- needs a complete re-vamp.
I booked and paid seven months in advance, and got a room overlooking the car park with no option to chnage because I "had checked in too late" . This was at 2pm whne checking in was supposed to start. Trip should have been for 5 days, we only managed 2 and checked out on the 3rd day- without a refund!
Don't stay here.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank RozzyUK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Korean first
perth, wa
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed at the Abbey Beach Resort, which in itself wasn’t that bad. Don’t get me wrong – it wasn’t good, but it wasn’t terrible. For the most part the service was good, the rooms were clean and adequate and if you like fake plants than you’ll be in heaven. The café inside the resort though, was as close to culinary hell as I have ever come. Let me start at the beginning…

Upon arrival, we waited at the entrance while the staff overcame their confusion as to where we should be seated in the half empty café. We took our seats and asked for some water. After an extended period of time with no water or service of any kind, I walked up to the front desk to place our orders and to again ask for water for the table. The water finally came out along with our orange juices, presented in lovely plastic bottles. I asked politely for a straw.

When our meals finally arrived, the medium-rare steak that I’d ordered was rare on the outside and well-done to dead in the centre - an achievement in itself. It was accompanied by a Greek salad, which featured tiny, rubbery, orange chunks. We spent the rest of the meal debating whether these were carrot or sweet potato and wondering why either of these vegetables would be in a Greek salad in the first place. I decided the only way to save the meal was to drown it in tomato sauce, which turned out to be an additional $1.40. When you’re already paying $40 for a (crap) steak, this comes as a bit of a slap in the face.

I’d eaten (read: choked down) about a quarter of the meal when I realised that I’d had enough and now, feeling hungry and annoyed, just wanted to go back to our room. We walked up to the register and waited for about 15 minutes until we could find a staff member gracious enough to let us pay for the terrible meal and service. I told the staff I was not willing to pay for the steak, which was accepted, however no one had sufficient training on the register to be able to void the receipt that had already been printed. We were told the manager was too busy running the upstairs restaurant to come and attend to us, so just to pay the bill now and someone would fix it up the next morning. Did I mention that we’d also been charged for the beers from the table next to us? Oh and I never got my straw.

The next morning, we decided to check out quite early (we were now starving and wanted to eat breakfast somewhere else. ANYWHERE else). We were told the bill for dinner had been fixed. It sounded too good to be true and it was. Upon checking the bill, we realised we’d still been charged for the piece of rubber, sorry, steak, although they had been nice enough to refund us the beers and tomato sauce. The staff were again unable to modify the bill without a manager, who was again too busy to attend to us. I left an extensive complaint with the front desk, who assured me that they would give it straight to the General Manager. Of course I haven’t heard one word from this fine establishment since – now that’s service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank keentraveller8425
Perth
Reviewed January 29, 2010

We booked a 3 bedroom apartment expecting to find a small place with 3 bedrooms and 1 shared bathroom. Nicely surprised to find 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3 toilets, large family/dining area and balcony. All staff were very friendly, the apartment was serviced every day, the whole complex was very clean and well maintained. Location and facilities were excellent and we had a lovely week. Will definitely recommend to others and be back again. Thank you Abbey Beach Resort.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Burekup
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We were given a room next to a car park and construction site.! The Tv reception was very poor. The room above us made so much noise, I could actually here them in the toilet! ew! Then the clincher, the bed was sooooo hard we both woke up with back aches! For $301 a night we expected more. So ok, we asked if it was possible to move, the manager informed us that the beds were new! (so what is your problem look?) Anyway he agreed to move us, after wasting the whole morning (with young children) I finally went back to the manager to find out what was going on? He assured us the room would be ready soon. Meanwhile we were listening to construction noise, sooo relaxing NOT! After another hour I asked what was happening, we finally moved around 2pm, THE WHOLE DAY WASTED! We were made to feel like total whingers. We were going to stay another night since we wasted soo much time, but I just could not justify another $300! and no discount was offered! The other room was just fine. The service at the cafe was dreadful, we waited 20 mins for a towel, then another 20 mins for a coffee (the order was wrong) I will not go there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank scalsBurekup
Perth
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My experience of Abbey Beach Resort was very mixed. There wasn't anything really wrong with it, but it is overpriced and the website's claim of 'luxury accomodation' is laughable.

In terms of positives, it does have a nice location on the beach and good facilities (tennis courts, bikes to hire, swimming pools etc). Also the kitchen facilities in our room were good.

However, the whole hotel is very dated, including the bedrooms, and the service is poor. Forgetting to tell us that all restaurants and bars would be closed on Christmas Day was a low point for us. Guests did seem to be an inconvenience for the staff.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Busselton
The Sebel Busselton
Amalfi Resort
Amalfi Resort
#2 of 14 in Busselton
Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton

Been to Abbey Beach Resort? Share your experiences!