“Not worth the money spent”

Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Busselton
Port Kennedy, Australia
“Not worth the money spent”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I love Busselton and surrounds and have been several times. We stayed at the Resort for the first time last weekend. The Hotel was chosen as we were attending a wedding and the reception was held there so we thought it would be convenient not having to drive.
The location was good, being so close to the beach, which was beautiful, but a bit out of town, which may suit some people. The staff were very friendly.

As we were too late to eat in the adjoining restaurant, by the time we got settled into our room, it was a good 5/10 mins drive to find somewhere open and it was only just after 9pm on a Friday night. I have to commend the breakfast staff for a lovely 'Big Breaky' the next day.

We booked a Hotel Studio. It did have a small kitchenette, equipped for 2 but only facility was a microwave and kettle. The room looked very tired, dated and definitely needed an overhaul. The spa bath was high therefore making it difficult to climb in and out of to have a shower, even though there was a hand rail to assist. (Not sure how they can sort that one out.) Also take your own toiletries as there was only a curtesy shampoo body wash etc for 1 on the first night even though there were 2 of us staying 2 nights. We may have got more if we asked, but we were prepared with our own toiletries so didnt bother. It is hard to believe that the towels were not changed every day but I imagine that would be due to 'water saving'. The Hotel does state that the rooms are only serviced every 5 days. 2 days I could handle but 5?? I did notice just before we left, what appeared to be small patches of mould on the bathroom ceiling. The bed was comfy, air cond. worked well and we seemed to have enough room, though we were not there much.

Whilst getting dressed for the wedding, we were disappointed in not having a full length mirror to be able to check our outfits, only the small bathroom mirror and that surprised us considering there are a few weddings held at the restaurant there throughout the year, with people staying and I am sure people would like to see how they look.

I think it would be ok for families in a villa as the facilities for children were good having a games room, pool and close to the beach. Personally I feel that for the price we paid for a 3.1/2 star rating, we could have stayed in a better resort. Stay there again? I don't think so. The are many more Hotels and Resorts to try.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AC1950

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We just got home from two nights in a 3 bed 2 bath villa and it was fantastic. Clean, roomy, well presented inside and out. The kitchen was well stocked with all the plates, utensils etc that we'd need. The pools were fabulous, BBQ area was very handy and the games room was popular with the kids. The local visiting possums were a bonus :)
I'm not sure if we were lucky given some of the other reviews I've read or we had a renovated room but we didn't have anything to complain about! We'll be back for sure.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
BUSSRESORTMANAGER, Manager at Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Kali L
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback of your recent visit, and I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay.
We appreciate receiving your positive comments and I will pass this onto the Team. The Resort is definately a wonderful spot for families with facilities that suit kids of all ages!
Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the Resort sometime in the near future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We just spent 2 nights at the resort and I must say I was very disappointed. The place is dirty, dated and very run down. Highly over rated and totally overpriced. The food in the restaurant was a saving grace and most of the restaurant staff were superb, the chef was great and the backpackers very professional.
The pool was over chlorinated to the point where I can still smell it back in Perth.

Honestly, at the rates they dare to charge, you will FIND a lot better value along the coastal strip. There is no way I would recommend this place to ANYONE! Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013
BUSSRESORTMANAGER, General Manager at Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear KiwiRuch,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback from your recent stay with us as it is through our Guests comments that we can improve our service and standards. Of course I was very disappointed to hear that you were not impressed with the accommodation. The resort is currently undergoing some refurbishment of the guest rooms, as we have identified the need to revitalise the facilities to meet our Guests expectations. This will be carried out over the upcoming year.
I will certainly pass your comments onto the Restaurant staff and am pleased that you had an enjoyable dining experience.
If you do change your mind and decide to visit us again in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly so that I can offer you the best available deal.
Kind Regards
Tracy Low - Resort Manager

Travelers are raving about these Busselton hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights during peak holiday season at Broadwater Resort in Busselton. There were 4 of us - my sisters who are 2 widows and my husband and myself. We paid extra and booked a 2 bedroom beachfront villa, so that we would have easier access to the beach.
We have stayed at the resort many times before and have always had an enjoyable time.

Check-in was smooth and the receptionist very helpful. However first impressions passing the swimming pool area revealed that the long windows divided the outside and indoor pools were very dirty - they were foggy and barely see-through. This is a main area people congregate and makes a poor impression for guests on arrival and during their stay. (I did notice that the following day after my comments to reception the windows were indeed cleaned).
We were allocated an end villa # 69. The interior was clean though it smelled somewhat musky. When my sisters placed their suitcases into their room and opened the curtains we could barely see out of the window, there were more of these foggy stains. Our allocated villa also had an overflowing rubbish bin outside. We were disappointed and I returned to reception to voice my concern. The receptionist was most apologetic and said that we were welcome to move to the adjacent villa # 67, which on inspection had windows that were less affected, so we did. The resort is reticulated with borewater which is probably what causes these stains, but there are products available that remove them and customers paying $410 a night deserve to have a clean, window that they can see through.
Our stay was enjoyable non the less, but the resort definitely needs an overhaul. The bore water is staining the exterior bricks too, which contributes to the rundown appearance of the villas. The southwest is also experiencing problems with mosquitoes and exposure to Ross River virus. The villas and rooms had no provision for guests - coils and spray should have been provided. The small alcove before entry was generally infested with mosquitoes and which easily made their way inside on opening. Some of the bathroom tiles were chipped and the walls had make-shift repairs. As our stay was for 4 days we expected to have our towels changed sometime during the period. This did not happen, neither were we informed of any procedure that would allow us to change the towels. The gardens at Broadwater also seem to be somewhat neglected. On of the reasons we chose to return was the pleasant prestine garden surroundings it used to have.
An area that seemed to have improved it the restaurant and bar area. It was always buzzing and food and drinks service was of a good standard.

Room Tip: Book early and ask questions about the room. We paid more to be near the beach but were not told of...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sofia H
Dear Sofia H
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your stay earlier this month. You are correct in saying that first impressions are very important, and we have added the cleaning of the pool windows to the daily tasks to ensure that these are tended to regularly. I was sorry to hear that your Villa windows were also in need of attention, and hope that you were moved without too much incovenience to your stay. During peak times, we have our bins filling up far quicker than normal, and while these are changed over daily, I'm sorry that you were checked into a room that had a full rubbish bin that had not yet been attended to by the staff.
We will take your comments regarding insect sprays or coils in guest villas under consideration. In response to your comments regarding the towels, we do a change of linen in guest villas for bookings of 5 nights or more as a mid stay clean, outside of this linen can be requested through Reception or housekeeping and sometimes a nominal fee is charged at Management discretion.
As you are a repeat guest, we certainly value your feedback and do hope that we can welcome you back to the Resort in the future. We are in the midst of a soft refurbishment of our guests villas which will be completed over the upcoming year. Whilst we do try to maintain the gardens and have them looking lush and green, the summer months are always a challenge as things start to look a bit dry - this is a priority also for us in the upcoming months.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you chose to stay with us and I will assist you with your booking details personally.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just back from three wonderful days at this resort. Our 3 bedroom villa was more than adequate and in fact there was nothing about which we could complain. The pools were used, the beach was perfect, the meal at the restaurant was delicious and our accommodation was just what we wanted. The staff were most helpful when one of our party was stung by a jellyfish and all other requests were met with a smile and friendly immediate service.

Room Tip: Check the number of bathrooms as some 3 bedroom villas have only one and others have two.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BUSSRESORTMANAGER, General Manager at Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Lorraine P,
Thank you for your positive feedback and comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Broadwater in Busselton.
I will be sure to share this with the Team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Hampton
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Wow, I wish I had read the reviews before booking our stay here! We stayed with another couple with two in the group competing in the Ironman and were happy to spend at the high end for what looked like and was advertised as "luxury" accommodation. Let me tell you, it was anything but ... a fact I let the Manager know at 7 a.m. the morning after our late(ish) night arrival. I wasn't nasty about it but pointed out that our unit was nowhere near the standard expected for the price we had paid (some nights were at $340 pn I believe!). Frankly I have stayed in camping grounds that were better looked after and certainly cleaner. The rooms were damp smelling and dingy and looked like they had had nothing done to them since circa 1980. We stayed in the smaller bedroom which barely had enough room for two of us and were bemused to find a broken down television in the rooms' one cupboard. We had booked the apartment with a kitchen, with the thought that we would cook and eat there but actually there was no way we would have wanted to sit in that dark room any longer than we had to - quite apart from the poorly equipped kitchen! We stayed for a total of 8 nights and after 5 days of no cleaning or towel changing we enquired when this might be done and were informed that in fact it was due to be done later that day ... oh really, what a co-incidence! So, one basic clean in 8 days which did not actually include the showers or basins - luxury? I think not. We left feeling completely ripped off and feel that the owner of this accommodation could actually be sued for false advertising. While the staff were friendly enough they said there was nothing they could do as they were full - although one let slip that actually they did have some vacancies in the 3 bedroom apartments but this wasn't offered as an alternative. The other gripe was the internet - it's rubbish, even when sitting in the foyer. Admittedly the fee was refunded to me after they realised I had already complained about the room but actually for the price paid it should be free in any case (and higher speed etc.). The one saving grace is the restaurant which is actually run by another company - while not super high standard, the fact that it was reasonable and the staff quite friendly was a great relief - AND they had free and fast Internet!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jo W
Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at this resort mid november, we had 3 x 3 bedroom villas all in a row. With this many people you tend to make your own fun, so we enjoyed the resort and its facilities.

As previous people have noted, yes it's getting a bit tired and rundown, but considering we stayed with the use of Scoopons, it was well worth the money we paid.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Busselton
The Sebel Busselton
#2 of 14 in Busselton
Aqua Resort Busselton
Aqua Resort Busselton
#1 of 14 in Busselton

Been to Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton? Share your experiences!