“Broadwater Resort Busselton”

Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Busselton
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights during peak holiday season at Broadwater Resort in Busselton. There were 4 of us - my sisters who are 2 widows and my husband and myself. We paid extra and booked a 2 bedroom beachfront villa, so that we would have easier access to the beach.
We have stayed at the resort many times before and have always had an enjoyable time.

Check-in was smooth and the receptionist very helpful. However first impressions passing the swimming pool area revealed that the long windows divided the outside and indoor pools were very dirty - they were foggy and barely see-through. This is a main area people congregate and makes a poor impression for guests on arrival and during their stay. (I did notice that the following day after my comments to reception the windows were indeed cleaned).
We were allocated an end villa # 69. The interior was clean though it smelled somewhat musky. When my sisters placed their suitcases into their room and opened the curtains we could barely see out of the window, there were more of these foggy stains. Our allocated villa also had an overflowing rubbish bin outside. We were disappointed and I returned to reception to voice my concern. The receptionist was most apologetic and said that we were welcome to move to the adjacent villa # 67, which on inspection had windows that were less affected, so we did. The resort is reticulated with borewater which is probably what causes these stains, but there are products available that remove them and customers paying $410 a night deserve to have a clean, window that they can see through.
Our stay was enjoyable non the less, but the resort definitely needs an overhaul. The bore water is staining the exterior bricks too, which contributes to the rundown appearance of the villas. The southwest is also experiencing problems with mosquitoes and exposure to Ross River virus. The villas and rooms had no provision for guests - coils and spray should have been provided. The small alcove before entry was generally infested with mosquitoes and which easily made their way inside on opening. Some of the bathroom tiles were chipped and the walls had make-shift repairs. As our stay was for 4 days we expected to have our towels changed sometime during the period. This did not happen, neither were we informed of any procedure that would allow us to change the towels. The gardens at Broadwater also seem to be somewhat neglected. On of the reasons we chose to return was the pleasant prestine garden surroundings it used to have.
An area that seemed to have improved it the restaurant and bar area. It was always buzzing and food and drinks service was of a good standard.

Room Tip: Book early and ask questions about the room. We paid more to be near the beach but were not told of...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sofia H
BUSSRESORTMANAGER, General Manager at Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Sofia H
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your stay earlier this month. You are correct in saying that first impressions are very important, and we have added the cleaning of the pool windows to the daily tasks to ensure that these are tended to regularly. I was sorry to hear that your Villa windows were also in need of attention, and hope that you were moved without too much incovenience to your stay. During peak times, we have our bins filling up far quicker than normal, and while these are changed over daily, I'm sorry that you were checked into a room that had a full rubbish bin that had not yet been attended to by the staff.
We will take your comments regarding insect sprays or coils in guest villas under consideration. In response to your comments regarding the towels, we do a change of linen in guest villas for bookings of 5 nights or more as a mid stay clean, outside of this linen can be requested through Reception or housekeeping and sometimes a nominal fee is charged at Management discretion.
As you are a repeat guest, we certainly value your feedback and do hope that we can welcome you back to the Resort in the future. We are in the midst of a soft refurbishment of our guests villas which will be completed over the upcoming year. Whilst we do try to maintain the gardens and have them looking lush and green, the summer months are always a challenge as things start to look a bit dry - this is a priority also for us in the upcoming months.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you chose to stay with us and I will assist you with your booking details personally.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just back from three wonderful days at this resort. Our 3 bedroom villa was more than adequate and in fact there was nothing about which we could complain. The pools were used, the beach was perfect, the meal at the restaurant was delicious and our accommodation was just what we wanted. The staff were most helpful when one of our party was stung by a jellyfish and all other requests were met with a smile and friendly immediate service.

Room Tip: Check the number of bathrooms as some 3 bedroom villas have only one and others have two.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
BUSSRESORTMANAGER, General Manager at Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Lorraine P,
Thank you for your positive feedback and comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Broadwater in Busselton.
I will be sure to share this with the Team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Wow, I wish I had read the reviews before booking our stay here! We stayed with another couple with two in the group competing in the Ironman and were happy to spend at the high end for what looked like and was advertised as "luxury" accommodation. Let me tell you, it was anything but ... a fact I let the Manager know at 7 a.m. the morning after our late(ish) night arrival. I wasn't nasty about it but pointed out that our unit was nowhere near the standard expected for the price we had paid (some nights were at $340 pn I believe!). Frankly I have stayed in camping grounds that were better looked after and certainly cleaner. The rooms were damp smelling and dingy and looked like they had had nothing done to them since circa 1980. We stayed in the smaller bedroom which barely had enough room for two of us and were bemused to find a broken down television in the rooms' one cupboard. We had booked the apartment with a kitchen, with the thought that we would cook and eat there but actually there was no way we would have wanted to sit in that dark room any longer than we had to - quite apart from the poorly equipped kitchen! We stayed for a total of 8 nights and after 5 days of no cleaning or towel changing we enquired when this might be done and were informed that in fact it was due to be done later that day ... oh really, what a co-incidence! So, one basic clean in 8 days which did not actually include the showers or basins - luxury? I think not. We left feeling completely ripped off and feel that the owner of this accommodation could actually be sued for false advertising. While the staff were friendly enough they said there was nothing they could do as they were full - although one let slip that actually they did have some vacancies in the 3 bedroom apartments but this wasn't offered as an alternative. The other gripe was the internet - it's rubbish, even when sitting in the foyer. Admittedly the fee was refunded to me after they realised I had already complained about the room but actually for the price paid it should be free in any case (and higher speed etc.). The one saving grace is the restaurant which is actually run by another company - while not super high standard, the fact that it was reasonable and the staff quite friendly was a great relief - AND they had free and fast Internet!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jo W
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at this resort mid november, we had 3 x 3 bedroom villas all in a row. With this many people you tend to make your own fun, so we enjoyed the resort and its facilities.

As previous people have noted, yes it's getting a bit tired and rundown, but considering we stayed with the use of Scoopons, it was well worth the money we paid.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed three nights and found the place to be generally good for a family. There were a number of maintenance issues in our unit which was showing for its age so in need of some work. The surrounds were pleasant with plenty of greenery and the beach was hop-step-jump away if the outdoor or indoor pools do not suit. The restaurant/bar attached was good so everybody can enjoy a drink, but the food was only average. The supermarket up the road walking distance, was expensive but very handy instead of having to go into town. We had no mobile reception (Optus) which was annoying in one part (for phone and wireless) but good as we had no reliance on it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
BUSSRESORTMANAGER, General Manager at Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear PuppetPower,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Resort and I am pleased to hear that you found the Resort to be good for your Family stay. We certainly aim to provide services and facilities that are Family friendly with many of our guests staying looking for activities for children to participate in.
I have noted your comments with regards to the maintenance issues in your Villa, and we are currently in the process of completing some refurbishment on selected items in the accommodation to improve them overall appearance and products.
We appreciate your positive feedback with regards to the location and I will pass your feedback onto the Restaurant Manager in regards to your meal experience.
Unfortunately the mobile phone network is not the best in the South West for certain network providers, but hopefully that allowed you to have a quiet and peaceful break!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

First impression was very bad. As soon as we entered in to a beach villa, a strong overpowering smell of bleach chemicals used in cleaning. If only someone opened windows or left a potpourri of some sort. State of furniture is appalling. cupboards in bedrooms - surface pealed off, fly nets in each bedroom broken and dirty, Really not worth price paid for accommodation. The only bright points can be given to maintained grounds and leafy greenery. This resort needs serious update and renovation. Would NOT recommend to couples.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else - plenty to choose in Busselton.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear MochaPerth,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at the Resort as it is through such feedback that we can better improve our services and facilities. Naturally I was disappointed to hear that you were displeased with your stay. We are in the process of refurbishing some items in the accommodation Villas which will allow us to address some of the issues that you have mentioned.
I have spoken with our Housekeeping Manager to pass on your comments saying that the room smelt strongly of cleaning products, as we do certainly aim to have the rooms smelling clean and fresh for our arrival guests. We are also looking into various options for room scents to leave a pleasant fragrance and are trialling some currently in a few of our room types.
I appreciate your comments about the grounds and gardens as our Gardening team work hard to keep it looking well maintained and lush.
We hope that you will chose to visit the Resort again in the future, so you can see what improvements have been made for yourself.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

did a one night stay in a beach front villa with an upstairs loft... it's very clean.... (they must have taken note of some of the complaints here). Upon arrival I needed a cuppa but could not use the kettle as it was absolutely dirty ....cleaning came and took the kettle to clean it. They said it was calcium build up - it was so bad that it looked like someone had tried to boil milk in it. Kudos to cleaning for coming so quickly.
yes the towels are thin... the furniture is a bit outdated (stains on the armchair rest covers, chips in the wooden dining chairs) but it's clean...
The view from my balcony would show the beach but it's actually mostly obscured by trees...however it's lovely.
I filled my bath to have a spa and was disappointed to find that it didn't work.
Also there are no instructions on how to get lighting (figured out the white attachment to the keys is inserted in a special wall fitting - thanks for telling me - not)
The grounds are nice and I had the pleasure of having the lovely scent of port wine magnolia wafting upstairs to my balcony..
My boys had a wonderful time (obsessed with indoor pool) and we went to the restaurant last night - they had pizza and I had a steak which became a bit of a dispute with the restaurant manager - I wanted medium rare and instead got medium well done - I called him over and he said he could redo the steak but it'd end up the same because it's the same cut - say what??? No I told him it's in the length of time that it's cooked. I did not appreciate him trying to tell me that , as most of us know that what he said was utter balderdash.
I ended up with another steak which was perfect in places and I was satisfied. The desserts were to die for...highly recommended. For variety, I might try Mercure next time..

Room Tip: note - the bath in the master bedroom is not suitable for people who have difficulty getting in and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Busselton
Bayview Geographe Resort
#2 of 14 in Busselton
Aqua Resort Busselton
Aqua Resort Busselton
#1 of 14 in Busselton

Been to Broadwater Beach Resort Busselton? Share your experiences!