“Great conference facilities, friendly, comfy”
Review of Dog Rock Motel

Dog Rock Motel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I stayed at the Dog Rock Motel two nights, and lead an all-day workshop there. In addition to having a very comfortable, clean room with a comfy bed, I had the best Internet access I've had for my entire visit in Australia (better than what I had in Perth, Adelaide or Hobart). Bravo! In the conference room, I was able to play some audio and video I had really wanted to on previous presentations, but was unable to. The staff was SUPER friendly and had a positive answer to every question. Really happy with this hotel. Albany is... not the most obvious tourist destination... but if you find yourself here, this is definitely a great place to stay. (Oh, and breakfast was yummy).

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Dog Rock Motel

Reviewed March 14, 2010

The room was clean and a larger than average size. The decore is a bit gloomy, that popular chocolate brown. The room service food was fine. Overall its a big motel for Albany and it felt very impersonal.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Enjoyed a three nights stay here and the service was good. The staff were very helpful in organising a refurbished room for our second and third nights, as we were not happy with the old 70's style - although it was clean and comfortable.

The refurbished room was clean, spacious and comfortable. I didn't use the Dog Rock restaurant but the staff happily recommended several other local restaurants. They also spent time looking at maps explaining the best route into Perth Central, for our return journey.

Good location and within easy walking distance of Albany's main town shops and bars.

I liked the friendly, helpful staff. I least liked staying in the old style room on our first night, as the decor was a little depressing, although I understand that all the rooms are in line for a refurb.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank deniadoll
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I have written a review of this place before but on my return I am even more impressed than I was before. Everytime I come here it is an even better experience. I got talking to the guy at the desk this time, in a rare quiet moment and it seesm this family took over the motel about the time of my second visit. They are working really hard to improve things all the time and it shows.

I stayed in a fabulous, even luxurious room with a bed that encourages you to sleep all day and a wonderful modern bathroom. It is my understanding that there are still some rooms that have not been renovated though, as with 83! rooms to do it is taking some time. Check you are geting the type of room you want.

It is literally a stones throw to the lovely town of Albany from this motel, the location could not be any better. The staff are friendly and helpful, the restaurant serves delicious food and fabulous cocktails, the only thing I am sad about is that this is my last day. I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wordsworth6
Reviewed April 22, 2009

....We stayed at the Dog Rock for three nights whilst we explored the surrounding area, which is very attractive.....

....our room was overdue for renovation, and we understand that this planned......at this time it was just a mediocre motel room........but for the money it was fair value (only Aust $125.00.)....

....the good points were helpful staff at the desk, and housekeeping......the restaurant was really excellent for dinner, but remarkably poor for breakfast, with minimal cereal and toast.......in fact we felt that it was quite a rip-off for the price, as it was not included in our rate.......we only had breakfast there once and went out the other days .....

.....I am sure that there are better places to stay, but as we said, for the money it was fine.....

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stuartandsue
Reviewed January 19, 2009

One overnight quick stay ended up being a nightmare.
Looks like we got the old room like Mr Hobbs (see his review and photos -our room looked like that -YUK).

When we awoke in the morning (early 6am - because we were leaving to Esperance) one of my children had a small blood spot in his bed and near it was a couple of dead little bugs. One larger than the other. I had never seen these bugs before...I now know them to be bed bugs. I checked my daughters bed and spotted a small blood spot as well. We were pretty freaked out at the prospect of having these creatures in our beds and potentialy our bags and clothes ( we had to separate the pyjamas etc....)

We showed the management the bugs we found (when we checked out ) and subsequently were NOT charged for the room.

It is one week since our stay and my daughter, my son and my husband have broken out in bed bug bite rashes. It takes around 5 to 7 days to react. I have had to take my children to the doctors and was recommended a prescription steroid cream to stop the itchiness. My sons bite rashes have begun to clear but he had bites all over his thigh and ankles. My daughter is the worst...she is very itchy and the bites look terrible - like little blisters...she was bitten on her face, arms ,shoulders, legs ankles....etc My husband was bitten on his arms, legs and feet.

We have contacted the management again since the bite rashes have appeared and taken photos. We have been told the room is being treated and will be closed for a month.

I cannot sleep and it is 4.30am in the morning. I am so concerned we may have brought these things home with us. They are not easy to get rid off and the thought of having to go through this because of one night at this hotel outrages me.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank TessPerthWA
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I stayed at the Dock Rock Motel for a Conference in Albany. The Motel has been upgraded and renovated and was a delightful place to stay in this unique destination in Western Australia. The service was at all excellent, friendly and accommodating, and the food at the Motel, during the conference was outstanding. I would thoroughly recommend this property to anyone visiting Albany.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Nevermannsetal