“Service missing”

Ranked #8 of 138 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Barbecue, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are open 6 days a week. We offer local wine and seafood. Beer on tap. Fully licenced. Prices to suit everyone. Children under 10 eat for free.
Reviewed July 12, 2018

The restaurant is small and very cosy, the hard floors make it very noisy. Unfortunately, when went for dinner, the service was very poor, particularly from head waitress. Wrong wine, wrong food, long delays in getting food and drink and just not very welcoming. However, when the food did arrive and at all different times for all four of us, it was really good, maybe a bit on the small side. A real shame, I expect this place could give a better experience, if not for this the boss of house!

Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

We checked in on the Mean Fiddler, only to find it full. We checked in on a week night, and it was quiet, so we were quite expectant that we would be in for a great night's dining. I started with the chillie pork belly and scallops, which we shared. It was a nice dish.

For mains, my partner had a vermouth chicken with tarragon and I had the asian styled pork belly. The vermouth chicken was bathed in a cream sauce. It was joined by its veggies some time later. The veggies consisted of overcooked beans, mashed potatoes and broccoli. They were quite tasteless, as was the chicken. My main dish was okay, certainly more tastey than the chicken. It's flavour was dominated by the sauce, which was a bit like hoisin or oyster sauce.

We had dessert. I had the chocolate and Guinness pudding and my partner ordered something that turned up in a glass. My dessert was pretty good, but my partner's was a glassful of nondescript sugary stuff; the sugar was really quite over the top. The service, however, was very good.

Reviewed June 2, 2018 via mobile

A really nice restaurant. Great food, great drinks, nice staff. The owner is really nice as well. Good environment. They had paper as a table cloth on the table and the family and I used it to play hangman which was really fun! I even left a little note on the paper saying thanks for putting it out. Would definitely recommend to anyone who’s thinking about coming here.

Reviewed May 24, 2018

Have eaten beef burgers in Alaska and Canada in the past 9 months and the Jail House Rock burger with an egg from the Mean Fiddler beats them all hands down.

Reviewed May 14, 2018 via mobile

Husband and I popped in here on recommendation by Norman at Anzac Memorial - he was spot on. Great food, good menu with some good variation. Service was excellent because it was not the least intrusive. Top marks !!!