“$10 lunch at its best”

Ranked #9 of 131 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Barbecue, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are open 6 days a week. We offer local wine and seafood. Beer on tap. Fully licenced. Prices to suit everyone. Children under 10 eat for free.
Canberra
“$10 lunch at its best”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

During a two day stay in Albany (see also my review on the Sleepwell Motel, Albany), I came across the Mean Fiddler Restaurant, Café and Bar. Only after walking past this eatery a couple of times did I decide to have lunch there on Friday 2nd May, 2014. Obviously I picked the wrong time because it was packed…. However, I only had to wait a few minutes and a table became available with good views, including parts of the streetscape. Despite being a rather busy time, my waitress was incredible attentive and competent. I chose a Haloumi dish from the $AUD 10.00 lunch menu and was most impressed with what arrived at my table. The Haloumi was superb and well received by my palate, together with a glass of white house wine (at extra cost). As dessert I chose a selection of three Sorbet flavours (at extra cost). However, judge for yourself and have a look at the images provided. Don't they make your mouth water? In summary: although I’ve been only once to the Mean Fiddler Restaurant, Albany, I give it top marks for service and quality of food.

Perth, Australia
“A great find.”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Had a thoroughly enjoyable time at this restaurant. Food was very good, great selection of wines and beers. Service was good and the chef very friendly. We had the set menu which was great value and hope to return and try the a la carte!

Perth, Australia
“A great find in Albany WA”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

On a recent business trip to Albany we thought we were lucky to find somewhere to eat at 9pm in a country town. The MEAN FIDDLER cuisine is delicious and beautifully presented. Even though we were late diners the staff maintained a friendly smile and sense of humour. Wine is available by a generous glass . My colleague was very satisfied with the steak as I was with the duck dish .

• Visited May 2014
“Mediocrity at its best!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Went to the Mean Fiddler last night and if mediocrity is the benchmark, they failed miserably. We both ordered the Nannygai (local fish) which came with tempura prawns, 'salad', chips, lemongrass veges and thai crab pattie for $42.50. It sounded good but the reality was far different. The meal came out with a small piece of fish (approx 100 grams) placed over a small portion of limp veges! The tempura prawns were placed over the chips making them soggy. The salad leaves looked like they'd been sitting in the fridge for a week as they were dried out, limp and undressed. The thai crab pattie was quite tasty but extremely small and the batter on the prawns (3 of) was less than ordinary. I think the kitchen needs a crash course in presentation as the plate looked very unappetizing when placed in front of us. Also it should be standard practice to be offered cracked pepper with your meal but we were never asked. In hindsight we probably should have gone with the set menu for $30 as I feel extremely annoyed about paying out my hard earned money for a meal that was mediocre at best.

Singapore, Singapore
“Food is just okay. ”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Our initial experience with the restaurant wasn't a pleasant one as we walked in right at lunch time with no table for our big group. Totally understandable. We came back half hour later to check back with the lady boss but she was really grumpy, arrogant and snobbish.

We walked right out and the boss came running out saying they got it sorted and we were promptly seated in another table. Didn't have to deal with the grumpy lady boss (which is good). The waitress who served us was great. We had the $10 lunch as well as the seafood platter (18.50). The seafood platter was very disappointing and not worth the money at all. The $10 lunch was OK - thought the chicken burger and prawn cutlets were the most value for money.

Will not visit again though.