“Aussie 'old world' dining”
Review of Lavender Cottage

Lavender Cottage
Ranked #16 of 134 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Superb small restaurant open for lunches and Friday evening
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Lavender cottage is a traditional old style house converted into an intimate restaurant. The rooms are small and the tables quite close, however this only adds to the atmosphere, complemented by very good food and efficient French waiters and waitresses. We ate there as a present from our daughter who lives in Albany, enjoyed it greatly, and would recommend it to anyone staying in that area.

3  Thank Jenjo018

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Only open for dinner on a Friday night so if you're coming to the area book in advance (or get your hotel to). Also open for lunch everyday I believe but I've only been there for dinner.

A small menu, but everything is made on premise and made to order. So yes if you're expecting to get your meal in 10 minutes, don't come. If you're happy to enjoy the atmosphere (a beautiful fire in winter) and want amazing food. THEN COME HERE!

A beautiful little cottage which has been turned into a little restaurant with a lovely French couple I believe. The food was amazing and its a great menu where you can order either 2 or 3 courses.

Loved every minute of it, and will definitely go back!

2  Thank leahcar17
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Albany has many great lunch restaurants but terrible choices for dinner. This is the best of the lunch spots we found with good service, a very friendly old dog and great food.

Unfortunately I got very sunburnt as the outdoor eating areas are not particularly shaded (a few lucky tables are).

1  Thank Nyeco
Reviewed September 28, 2013

When we arrived in Albany one of the very first things we do is go and see if this delightful place is open. When I saw the sign saying that it was closed until the 23rd September I nearly cried. The last time we were in Albany they were closed for renovations and so we thought it was the same. I suppose everyone must have holidays – she says as she took a four day break in Albany!

We have eaten here before so I was a little disappointed but decided to check it out as we were in town on the Monday morning. You can imagine my surprise when I saw the sign saying they were open. We did not hesitate, knowing that sometimes they are fully booked we decided to give it a try and headed in at 11.30am. Thought we would begin with coffee and then have lunch after that. There was no problem and we were able to get in.

We were told that is was a new menu for the opening today. Well it had been quite a while since we were last there so anything would have been new. It was 8 years since we last ate here and this was just as good. We started with soup – coconut, ginger and pumpkin soup which was a perfect temperature and the bread that accompanied the soup was also made on the premises and was, crisp on the outside and light and fluffy inside – one of the nicest breads we have had in Albany.

For main course I had the Mt Barker Tenderloin chicken and it was such a beautiful taste and full of moist flavours that left me speechless. The artichokes were so well cooked they just melted in my mouth and the snap peas were fresh and crisp and crunchy and with the rice I was so glad I chose it. My husband had the Baked Salmon with lobster tail and he thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary flavours of the two together. We had a salad and a tin of bread to enjoy with the mains.

We then had a blueberry muffin and coffee to finish off and walked out the door about 2pm. We had such a lovely couple of hours in this delightful establishment that I know why it has a really good reputation. When we first went there it was on a friend who lives in Busselton and she said that we would not be disappointed. We were not then and we were not last Monday week ago.

This is the sort of place that you go to enjoy FOOD – no rushing, just a lovely ambience and exceptionally refined tasteful flavours. If you have not been here and you live in Albany you don’t know what you are missing. If you are ever passing Albany then this is a MUST. Thanks to the French hosts who have had the restaurant for 11 years and they are still doing a stirling job. Thank you and we will be back.

3  Thank Keza_WA
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is by far our best restaurant experience in Albany. A great place for a quiet intimate dinner. If you are wanting a fast in and out meal then do not go. This is for small groups and couples whom wish to experience excellent food and a quiet drink without being rushed.

1  Thank Donna T