“worth a visit on a wet day”

The Albany Convict Gaol & Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$19.99*
and up
Albany Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #14 of 90 things to do in Albany
Reviewed November 21, 2013

It was a nice walk around for a wet morning or afternoon. Museums are not really my cup of tea but it held my attention would reccomend it for a young family though as plenty to keep them all occupied.

All reviews
in 17 reviews
"goal"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed November 19, 2013

A very interesting visit and many congratulations for the displays. Lots of work gone into setting the items out and explaining the story of the Gaol and it's inmates.
Allow plenty of time to look around

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We went down from Dunsborough to Denmark for a couple of days. Visited Albany on a rainy day, so thought we are going to different museums. This was the first one; original place, some good exhibitions. A few more infos, especially in regards to the daily life in that gaol would be good. Otherwise definitive a visit worth.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

As a local resident who is also involved in tourism in Albany Irecently visited the Old Gaol. I was hosting a friend from Austria who expressed a desire to view the old gaol. Having initially been ignored by the attendant, I offered a $20.00 banknote to pay the admission for both of us ($5.00 per head) and received a mouthful of abuse for not tendering the correct change. In fact the attendant stated "why come here with a $50 or $20 note, don't you know we don't have any change". My Austrian friend searched through his wallet for the correct change however before doing so this oh so gracious lady announced that we could go in for nothing and its not like I care if you pay. That pretty much summed it up. Albany wishes to think its a tourist town, it isnt and it is little wonder that those of us professionals in the industry despair at the behavior of the locals. Would I return to the venue? No!. Would I recommend the venue to visitors if it meant they would be treated in the same manner ? No! The display it self tired run down and in need of a very serious makeover.

2  Thank The-Wildgoose