“Nice little museum”

and up
Albany Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #13 of 82 things to do in Albany
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We went down from Dunsborough to Denmark for a couple of days. Visited Albany on a rainy day, so thought we are going to different museums. This was the first one; original place, some good exhibitions. A few more infos, especially in regards to the daily life in that gaol would be good. Otherwise definitive a visit worth.

There are newer reviews for The Albany Convict Gaol & Museum

Reviewed October 17, 2013

As a local resident who is also involved in tourism in Albany Irecently visited the Old Gaol. I was hosting a friend from Austria who expressed a desire to view the old gaol. Having initially been ignored by the attendant, I offered a $20.00 banknote to pay the admission for both of us ($5.00 per head) and received a mouthful of abuse for not tendering the correct change. In fact the attendant stated "why come here with a $50 or $20 note, don't you know we don't have any change". My Austrian friend searched through his wallet for the correct change however before doing so this oh so gracious lady announced that we could go in for nothing and its not like I care if you pay. That pretty much summed it up. Albany wishes to think its a tourist town, it isnt and it is little wonder that those of us professionals in the industry despair at the behavior of the locals. Would I return to the venue? No!. Would I recommend the venue to visitors if it meant they would be treated in the same manner ? No! The display it self tired run down and in need of a very serious makeover.

2  Thank A-Wildgoose
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Very good, fun and interesting things to look at here. I especially like the broken glass pieces along the top to keep prisoners captured.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

To see how our ancestors lived and carried out everyday life was very good. The design of houses and rock walls built against the sea.

1  Thank di05
Reviewed September 26, 2013

A lot of historical information on Albany and how prisoners were treated.

I think the best way to visit this place would be at night. Since we were operating on time constraints, this was not possible.

1  Thank Mitchell E