“Good food & cosy on a winters day”
Review of Emu Point Cafe

Emu Point Cafe
Ranked #3 of 133 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Just back from a very nice lunch at Emu Point Cafe on a dreary winters day.
The food was very good & plentiful although on the higher priced side compared to other eateries of this type in Albany. I have been attending this establishment for nearly 20 years & since new owners took it over a few years ago it has flourished.
The cafe took over the space once occupied by a Japanese restaurant in the same building & this has allowed them to provide more seating within the old restaurant as well as being able to provide al fresco dining on the veranda,(although today it was very wet & patrons mostly preferred to dine inside.)
The location of this cafe is probably the best in Albany, being sited adjacent to a treed, grassy picnic area on the edge of the water. In summer this area is teeming with locals & visitors alike, & the cafe provides take away food & drinks to cater for those who prefer to enjoy the beach atmosphere. In winter the take away part is usually closed which is a shame because there are many elderly locals who used to visit this establishment who can no longer afford the prices charged, even though the food is probably as cheap as most eateries in the larger cities.
As a comparison, I had a hamburger in this cafe today which cost $21.50. I then paid another $5.30 for a cappucino.
In another franchised cafe (Dome) in town yesterday I purchased basically the same & the total came to $21 being $16.50 for a burger & chips plus a cappucino. I will admit that the difference between the burgers was considerable but my only criticism of the burger today was the presentation which was spectacular but totally unnecessary, given that it was served on a breadboard & not a plate. The burger was loaded with all the nice goodies but I was faced with the problem of how to eat it without it spreading all over the table (see picture )
I have found this pretentiousness invading most of the eateries in Albany in recent years. I assume it is a direct result of the cooking shows on TV & it seems that we are being manipulated into paying big bucks for 'fluff'
Having said that, I have no hesitation in recommending this cafe to visitors to our town because of its location, ambiance & quality of its food. I would also like to advise the owners that the signage on the gable wall is very old & faded & not really in keeping with the image they are trying to project.

Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

We stopped in here to have breakfast. Coffee was good, and meals very delicious and filling! You get your money's worth! Service was notably fast- although it was early on a Friday morning. I hope to come here again!!

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Great location. Cannot fault it at all the food however was average. Partner enjoyed the pancakes. Hot chocolate was great. Ice chocolate was full of ice.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Very nice location with tables both in and out. The food was good.The service was prompt. We enjoyed our time here.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We visited each morning for coffee, fantastic views of inlet , marina and pelicans whilst enjoying coffee and something for breakfast.
Plenty of activity on the water, fishermen, canoe paddlers ...