“What a let down!”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The first thing I dislike about an eatery is when the staff all avoid eye contact with you. My partner and I went to Emu Point cafe this morning and I can honestly say it was a waste of our time and money. It was our first visit there and we were not sure of the protocol so we walked up to the till and waited in line to be served. The cafe was about 75% capacity so we figured it was a safe choice. There was one person behind the counter serving, but many staff floating around avoiding us, not one would even acknowledge our arrival. We waited about 5 minutes before we were served by the young lady at the counter. I asked if we could eat breakfast in and she gave us a bewildered look and told us to take a seat like we should have known that. I explained to her it was our first visit and we weren't if it was table service. Once she knew that she became quite friendly. I turned to see if I could find a free table whilst my partner ordered and the ones that were free had still not been cleared. I pointed to one outside and asked if we could sit there if they cleared it. Not a problem! Great...We ordered 2 full breakfasts (I think they were called hangover or something like that) with hollandaise on the side, 1 juice, 1 cappucino. We sat outside, after 5 minutes, our table was cleared...Further 5 mins the juice arrived, chilled with just 2 icecubes...so really, warm juice... After about 15 minutes our breakfast arrived, with no hollandaise...At that point I asked about the hollandaise and my coffee and was told by a young gentleman that there was a long wait with the coffees at that time...I explained I ordered it when I placed my order (20mins ago). He went off to check, he comes back asking if mine was the flat white...I said that it was a cappucino and he went back in... The hollandaise eventually came out when we were half way through our very dismal serving of breakfast. I asked again about my coffee and was AGAIN told there was a wait for coffees... When I eventually did get the coffee, it was actually quite good BUT that's half hour wait for a coffee!!! The meal was definately NOT value for money. My 10 year old step daughter can come up with that! It was nothing special and size was small for the $20 they charge. And for toast? Just 2 thin strips of foccacia bread...So you couldn't even put your egg on the toast. Over cooked shrivelled chipolatas and I had the butt end of a tomato! As soon as we ate what we could we left. Not even the view could keep us hanging around. I would sooner have breakfast at McDonalds before Emu Point Cafe. What a let down!

1  Thank Jo Z

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We enjoyed breakfast on 2 days during our recent short stay in Albany. The cafe is a great place just for a coffee, but we loved our breakfasts there. After the first morning, we decided to share, as there was plenty for two! The toast was great, heaps of delicious eggs and bacon, sausages, hash browns and more. The service was great - very efficient and friendly. The meals were good value for money too. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We went for our second visit on Australia day. The food, service and menu is great and ofcourse so is the location. The two things that will make me reconsider going back was the lack of options for children (there are two for lunch, none on the breakfast menu) and just like last time we had to eat our meals on the couch and coffee table as all the tables get snapped up by customers who are just having a coffee

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great place for breakfast in a superb location. Really friendly and efficient service. Great food and coffee. Well worth the drive.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Fantastic breakfast. Great location. Good price. You will not be disappointed. It might seem a little out of town but the food is worth it and there is a lot to do around Emu Point.