“Needs a revamp”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Albany
Brisbane
“Needs a revamp”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our stay at the Ibis in Albany was not was expected for this chain of Hotels. It was more like a motel overlooking the main road. The bar and Grill with salad bar was very sad. Very tired looking vegetables and salad. Only good thing were the chips. Steaks ordered were overcooked and coffee was from a pre made warmer. The best factor was that rooms were clean and beds comfortable and a welcome room to sleep after a long drive.

Room Tip: Rooms not overlooking main road.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Robert O, General Manager at Ibis Styles Albany, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. Our central location is popular with our guests, as it is easily accessed from Albany Highway, and only 5 minutes drive from central Albany. I am sorry you did not find our restaurant satisfactory, as we try to cater to all guest needs. Please contact me directly if you are planning a return visit, and I will assure you proper service.
Bob Overend, General Manager,ibis Styles Albany.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Located 5 minutes from the CBD of Albany. Great location. Great meals and variety. Staff always friendly. Rooms and bathroom very clean. Very well priced accomodation. Would recommend. Stayed on business but would stay for a family holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Robert O, General Manager at Ibis Styles Albany, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you very much for telling you about your recent stay with us, we are always glad to hear when our guests are happy. I will share your comments with our team, and hope to welcome you and your family back to Albany soon. Bob Overend, General Manager
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had two nights here and found it to be average, clean and comfortable. Our room was right down the back so there was no noise from the hotel. A request for soap etc was quickly attended to as there was none in the room. Plenty of parking. My one question is why do they have to have 2 television sets blaring on different channels along with loud pop music - this cacophony makes dinner conversation extremely difficult.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert O, General Manager at Ibis Styles Albany, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your experience in our restaurant. We will make sure to correct the situation of 2 televisions plus music playing at the same time. This was an oversight by our restaurant staff, as it is not our policy to operate in that way.
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a group on certificate for our stay which included a bottle of wine on check-in, free dessert with a main course at the restaurant and breakfast. We got to the hotel and checked into the hotel at 2pm however when we tried to put our luggage in the room it was still being cleaned. We just left them to it and went straight out sightseeing. When we returned the room was in ok shape however the advertised foxtel was not available for us to watch. We decided to eat at the country manor for dinner which was terrible (there is a separate review for that). Breakfast is also very poor - they were slow to replace dishes which had run out on our first morning and on the second morning they completely ran out of bread! They blamed it on a bus group which had already eaten earlier. For a basic stay the hotel is ok but I would forgo anything to do with the attached restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I have reviewed your comments about breakfast with our Chef, and these comments will help to improve our services.
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in a "Deluxe King Room", But I am not sure what was deluxe about it, the room was dirty and definitely just standard. It was very dusty throughout, the toilet was dirty and the shower curtain has not been washed in a long time and the bathroom fan was filthy and on it's way out.The whole presentation was just not what I expected from any hotel. At arrival we were told that there would be a bottle of wine included in the price every night, so we were given a bottle of clean skin white wine but did not see the other 3 bottles, even tho we asked on the second day for red wine as we thought we might as well get some cooking wine out if it to take home. After I wiped all the surfaces in the room down with antibacterial wipes that we bought first thing after arrival we were comfortable enough but not impressed with the cleaning service that was happening every day. All that was done was the bed linen was tucked back in and the towels were replaced but nothing was ever wiped down. The breakfast was okay but nothing special, the tables all had streaky marks on them and the restaurant feels cold and dingy in the mornings

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anja2503
Thank you for your comments and I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. Your comments have been taken seriously and reviewed with our housekeeping & restaurant managers, and help us improve our guest services.

Travelers are raving about these Albany hotels

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Good quick check in with no problems. Sadly on entering the room it was immediately clear that the housekeeping department had failed - badly.

The toilet contained faeces and toilet paper and was disgusting, the rubbish bin in the bathroom was 3/4 full of discarded personal hygiene items and the bed had been made but with soiled linen. Closer inspection revealed hair and other unidentifiable material between the sheets.

A call to reception - told they were fully booked and I then waited the best part of an hour for a housekeeping person to arrive and "do" the room. Apparently the room had been marked off as having been done but it seems a trainee may have been involved.

The housekeeper came back a few minutes after finishing the room with two stubbies as a consolation gift, appreciated, but I'd have much preferred to have a clean room in the first place.

The next drama came when I attempted to order a room service meal, dialing reception just didn't work and I eventually rang the hotel on my mobile. The restaurant person who answered then told me that the reception phone (in house calls) was locked away in an office and could not be answered - even though all the literature in the room says dial 9!!!

Couldn't get any worse? WRONG! having taken my order it was then completely forgotten, I eventually phoned (via the mobile) again and had to re-order - this just 15 minutes before the restaurant was due to close.

My meal arrived in after a reasonable time and looked very nice - oddly no knife or fork were found on the tray or in the room, another mobile phone call resulted in the required cutlery being brought to the room, apparently it had been a "bad night" in the restaurant.

News flash it had been a horror in my room!

So having to wait over an hour after arrival to have a shower and then waiting a couple of hours to sort out a meal left me unimpressed to say the least, I really do hope that this was an aberration and not the usual standard.

The meal BTW was good and though I would have preferred to use room service the following night, due to a pile of paperwork demanding attention, I couldn't steel myself to going through another disaster and went to the restaurant.

The meal was very good and the only oops! moment was when the waiter brought out a Shiraz and tried to palm it off as a Cab Sav of the same brand, it took a bit of explaining that "no it's not the same thing". It then transpired that they didn't have a Cab Sav.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank KevMWA
Thank you for submitting your comments. I sincerely apologize for the series of difficulties you experienced. There are no excuses for these events and I invite you to return for a complimentary visit on your next trip to Albany. Please contact me directly so I may handle your reservation, Bob Overend, General Manager Tel: 089841 1177.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was a trip for me to take my older Mum away for 4 days - she doesn't get many holidays on her low income!

I booked a ground floor, twin bed. I called to confirm this 2 weeks prior, all confirmed - no problems they said.

Arrived to be told there are no twin beds on the ground floor. And they were fully booked so could only offer us a double bed on the top floor. My Mum is older and has had recent surgery and CANNOT navigate stairs hence my booking and making sure.

After 20 mins in reception of being told there is nothing she could do, the Manager finally came out, reluctantly to offer us the executive suite but only if we paid $50 more as he would not give it for the rate we paid. This was his ONLY solution. This was 6.30pm on a Friday night after driving 5 hours so we felt we had no option and paid! Their failure to provide the room I booked and had a voucher that clearly stated ground floor twin beds, apparently not their problem and I had to pay to fix it?

The room was then shorted out by a kettle so we waited 30 minutes for power to return. The heater in the room turned out to be a fan, a heater was then given.

Our room was not clean by 4pm the next day and we had to call to ask for it to be cleaned. Then it was only towels replaced.

The next day it was 5pm and not clean. The cleaner then did the same, but this time made the beds. Nothing wiped, no dishes cleaned no vacuuming etc.

We complained and the Manager said "I have done all I can to accommodate you". Then 30 mins later a cleaning staff member arrived and explained they are only paid to replace towels and make beds, not "clean" unless it is a check out. She offered to vacuum for us the next day. She looked overwhelmed and had spent the whole day on her own cleaning 50 rooms. The Manager obviously needs to staff up!

They don't wash the cups you use even though you have no facility (dish-washing liquid/sponge/tea towel) to wash dishes. They leave the dirty cups - they don't wipe your bathroom or toilet down.

There were many other issues that occurred like desert being forgotten, my meal containing bacon when I asked for it not to etc and then they returned saying they had just picked the bacon off it, not actually prepared a new meal.

I cannot fault the staff, they are friendly and accommodating - especially Christine on Reception and your Hospitality Staff but the Manager seemed like he was more interested in having a bottle of wine at the bar than actually Managing the hotel.

There are no directories in your room to tell you anything, just a menu for the hotel, no one tells you what time breakfast is, so when you arrive at 8.45am they tell you what is left is it as they close at 9am!

It felt like being in Faulty Towers, it really did. Having stayed in so many other hotels around the world and many Accor/Ibis hotels this one would be the worst I have ever stayed in.

Don't stay there, as I can see by the other recent reviews it seems to be going through a very poor period of Management!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EmmaKaz
Thanks again for your comments, as we are in the process of improving our services.