“stay in albany”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed August 29, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank j0rdan23
Robert O, General Manager at Ibis Styles Albany, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

There are newer reviews for Ibis Styles Albany

Reviewed August 28, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kiearaclark

Reviewed August 26, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Welcome to my first review on Trip Advisor. I travel 3 weeks out of 4 on business all around this great nation of ours and have been meaning to write this one up for a while to warn fellow travellers.

I arrived at this budget motel not expecting a five star experience but at least a clean, quiet room.

The first night I discovered the heating was not working in the room. It was the middle of winter and it gets pretty cold down here. Not the end of the world I informed reception about it in the morning. They attempted to fix it with no success, I suggested that I move to another room which they agreed was a good idea.

The next night in my new well heated room I was laying in bed watching a bit of Celebrity Apprentice and in walks a fellow traveller expecting to dump his possessions and settle in for the night. A mix up at the reception had given him the keys to my room. I called reception to let them know and was asked "is it really that big of an issue?". The guy was obviously stressed out so I told him we could discuss it in the morning and asked what time he started. His reply was "Whenever I feel like it, I'm the boss."

On my way out to work in the morning I dropped in to voice my concerns and was directed to the newly appointed general manager. He was an extremely polite and helpful man who wasn't happy about his night managers attitude.

That night the night manager came knocking at my door to apologise with a bottle of champagne and some strawberries along with two vouchers for dinner in the restaurant. A little strange for a guy travelling alone on business but free booze none the less. I passed on the restaurant vouchers as I'd already had dinner and was heading back to Brisbane in the morning.

The next morning after a shower I was getting some clothes from my suitcase and felt something drop out of my bag down my leg to the floor. Being slightly visually challenged without my specs I didn't see what it was. I thought it was a coin or something that had rolled into the corner near the bar fridge.

Armed with the powerful vision my glasses give me I shifted the fridge to see what it was, out it ran! It was in fact a small mouse, it quickly scurried off under the bed.

I called reception and let them know. As I was packing my things to leave a young Irish care taker came in with a pair of gloves and a bucket. They sent this poor guy up to try catch the mouse, of course he had no chance. It was a nice laugh for the morning watching him try though.

It seems the longer you stay here the worse the issues will become.

You've been warned, stay here at your own peril.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank elpedroqld
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Booked to stay one night as have stayed at some lovely places in Albany thought we would try this one picture wise looks lovely , on arrival after booking room with 2 single beds was given room with king and one single, first impression decor very nice but then went into bathroom had old daggy towels ,plonked on top of rails in bathroom water pressure not good after using conditioner and shampoo hair was like straw yuk. room was cold due to gap under door had to use towel to block off cold air, so had to have aircond on all night to keep room warm ended up with sore throat in morning , had meals in resteraunt as in advertising showed lovely buffet. Style food ?? On arrival at resteraunt waited 20 min before was served to order had lamb shank and mash and paid $19 extra for veg and salad bar lamb shank and mash was COLD went to get buffet and NO salad available just peas corn and roast potatoe and carrot which were mostly hard ended up leaving resteraunt value wise wasnt good to rate this I would say ACE MOTEL tops this one for cleanliness service and great resteraunt food the ACE. is comfy great service ,beautiful resteraunt and food and cheaper all round the ACE takes more pride I believe in there detail and making your stay comfortable rating for ibis from me not good at all for value and comfort and good food I'd recommend the ACE would give that a 9 out off 10 ibis I'd say 3 out of 10

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Toolovely
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Arrived late afternoon. Booking in went smooth, lovely receptionist. Was given up stairs room at front of hotel. The room was very cold, I could not find a heater, after a trip to reception I was told it was in the bathroom. Indeed it was, reverse cycle air conditioner. The bathroom door had to remain open to heat the room, light from rear window then entered the room. The noise from the traffic out front competed with the noise of the air conditioner, they both won out when it came to my sleep quality. The room was lovely, however the noise ruined what needed to be a good nights sleep. I was very disappointed having stayed at Ibis properties several times.

Room Tip: Don't take a room at the front of this property traffic noise very loud.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Not very good for the price. The first room they gave us wasn't properly cleaned so we had to move to a different one. The new room wasn't much better, and the towels were so old and rough it hurt to use them. Housekeeping didn't come to clean the room unless we specifically asked for it. The food in the breakfast buffet bain marie was lukewarm and I think someone might actually get sick from it one day - the bacteria must be going nuts in there.

Overall very disappointing.