“A really nice place”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Albany
Perth, Australia
“A really nice place”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My partner and I visited on a scoopon voucher and after reading a few not so great reviews our expectations weren't very high. We stayed for 2 nights and couldn't fault a thing.
Check-in was friendly and efficient,. Our room was neat, clean and had a massive tv. Dinner and breakfast were good, lots of choices and the staff were freindly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The place is a complete disaster! We also were there only because of a Scoopon Voucher and we would NEVER return. Even before we got there, we were made to feel like an inconvenience, I contacted them via email to change the booking date, no response, I phoned days later, I was told someone had to phone me back to do this, no phone call back. Finally another very direct email and we received a blunt confirmation.

From the moment we arrived we had the sense that the staff are miserable and the place is extremely badly managed. Even to the point where we saw/ heard 2 staff members in the car park complaining loudly about the place.

The older gentleman whom we presume is the owner or manager (& from henceforth in the review I shall refer to him as Basil) is so incompetent they would be better off training a gorilla to run the place.

With our Scoopon voucher we given a bottle of wine to then be told that we better not spill it in our room. Basil also seemed more concerned about thanking his staff & telling them what a great job they were doing (which seemed all to fake to us), to care about checking us in.

The room was quite nice and tidy, however this did not make up for the absolute absurdity that is this hotel.

We went to dinner (for my birthday) and ordered the reef and beef. We had made a booking with Basil, which he knew nothing about when we got there, it took half an hour to get given a menu. Once the food was 'delivered' or should I say thrown at us, I had to force myself not to heave in my plate. My steak, which I asked for medium rare, was sitting in a pool of blood. When I cut into it, it was so blue and full of blood, I couldn’t eat it, my boyfriends steak, which was meant to be Medium was charcoal. The “Garlic Sauce” had chunky bits of cornflour in it and tasted like stock, the cocktails were the worst I ever inhaled and the white wine was warm. On numerous occasions we saw Basil stacking plates on top of one other to serve the food, another time his finger divided the plates, sitting on someone’s chicken. HEAVE- HEAVE!!! I was waiting to be asked by staff why we hadn’t eaten our food, nothing.

All around us, patrons were very unhappy with the food. I have never eaten as badly as what I did at the restaurant. I would liken it to Sizzler, however I wouldn’t wish that upon the Sizzler restaurant chain. Once ‘finished’ our meal, we asked for the bill to go on our room tab. The next day we decided to leave a day early and head back to Perth, upon check out we were told by Basil, we owed no money, even after we reminded him about the dinner tab. Still he insisted- finally a win for us we thought.

The next day I received a flustered phone call from a lady from the hotel asking us when we were checking out? I explained we had the day before. She then asked us why we didn’t settle our bill?

This place is seriously a disgrace, I left feeling like it was the worst birthday I ever had & we were nothing but an inconvenience. At least Basil provided some comic relief as the joke he is, but if there is any chance he is not the owner, they need to get rid of him and hire someone else, maybe start looking at the Perth Zoo Animals as preferred option to the current staff.

MANUAL!

3 Thank NeedAHoliday14
allseasonsalbany, Owner at Ibis Styles Albany, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Upon investigation the Manager referred to was a releiving Manager for 3 weeks, however from his reports the guests requested an early check in which unfortunately we were unable to oblige due to heavy occupancies from the day before . Sorry that this occured but it is out of our control. The guests were scoupon clients who recieved two nights accommodation,a $60 food voucher and a bottle of wine for $129 and so I cannot understand their claims about payment as it was inclusive . (This was a seasonal promotion by an independent supplier)The manager has since been replaced

Travelers are raving about these Albany hotels

Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Arrived to a scene not unlike Faulty Towers. Very drunk patrons in the front bar/carpark/stairs/accommodation. Made booking several days before but apparently staff said there was not one. Staff appeared flustered, disorganised, and low morale. Squabbles amongst themselves.
Went to room, stank of smoke, room cleaned fastidiously each day. Upon checking out, staff informed us that we owed money for restaurant when we had not eaten in there. This was queried, staff admitted mistake and said "its fine dont worry about it". No apologies, no sorry 'I'm wrong' no have a nice a day or thanks for staying. More like dont get caught between the automatic doors.
There are plently of other places to stay in Albany that are cheaper, more comfortable, closer to town and staff that are friendly. This place needs to lift its game to be a competitor

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
allseasonsalbany, Manager at Ibis Styles Albany, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
The scoopon client paid $129.00 for 2 nights accommodation including a $60 meal voucher and a bottle of wine on arrival. Great value and it was a genuine offer. It is unfortunate and apologies are given to the guest because they were asked incorrectly about a charge which was placed on their account by mistake. All rooms are non smoking and if guests find a room that has been smoked in we immediately deodorise that room and the previous guest is charged. We are the most competitively priced hotel in Albany both in accommodation and food and beverage.
Perth
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Considering i'm on a business trip, i really enjoyed my stay here. My room was spacious and spotlessly clean, and it has the best shower i've ever used! The food was good value, wholesome and tasty. The best feature were the staff, really helpful and happy. I had to stay for a week for work, and it was a nice place to come back to each day. Free internet too, how rare is that here?! Recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Geraldton, Australia
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I am nearly seventy, frail and was looking for a quiet place with easy access to spend a week.
I selected Country Manor, explained my situation (like, no stairs) and was treated with the utmost courtesy and pleasantness.
Check-in could not be easier and departure even simpler still.
The room was immaculate, the in-house meals superior and the décor inviting and comfortable. Nothing like a Chesterfield to make one feel pampered.
I stayed in other motels for the next week, cheaper and more expensive, and NONE were of the quality of the Country Manor Inn.
My nature is to be critical of Tourism standards having spent 10 years plus in the industry and I write this without fear or favour. I was not known to the establishment yet I cannot criticise on point. (I must be getting old)
A wonderful time, if I am given time to go to Albany again, there will be no hesitation in staying here.
A copy of this has been sent to the management and staff

Room Tip: Be polite, explain your reason clearly