“Warm stay!”
Review of Norman House

Norman House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Albany
Norman House
Ranked #12 of 17 Albany B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Warm stay!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Norman House. The rooms are very clean and cozy. The breakfast is very yummy. The hosts of the house Sheila & Bert have done an excellent job maintaining the house and keeping our stay welcoming and comfortable!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EeyoreManatee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed for 1 night January 2013, in room 2. First thoughts were the room was like an old aunt's house in the 1970s, everything rose printed, and the furniture and bathroom very dated. However, it was very clean, the sheets were good quality and we slept well. The breakfast was excellent and some good conversation was had. The lady of the house was really helpful regarding some paintings and there are some interesting nick knacks around the house. Do not go there if looking for 4* corporate blandness, but if you are prepared for something a little different, this is the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SuffolkCarol
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Having stayed at Norman House in Albany a few months ago as part of a work trip, I promised the owners that I would return with my hubby for a longer stay, and we did. I asked for the same room that I stayed in the first time (Room 1) as I knew it to be large and comfortable. Event though we stayed there 5 nights this time I cannot fault Norman House B&B. It is exactly what it says it is and what a good B&B should be. Its welcoming to everyone, centrally located and excellent value. Bert cooks whatever you like for brekky and all the usual continental items (cereal, toast, juice, coffee) are also available. The house is interesting too - a long (long for Australia!) history and is now decorated with many items of art, collectibles and whimsy. I will add that Norman House is suited for couples - not children. We slept like logs while there and it seems that although the other rooms were all occupied - everyone was interested in relaxing because there isn't a sound at night. We'll be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeni H
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We last stayed at Norman House 27 years ago when our children were young. This is an old character property (with it's own unique history). Don't go there expecting flash big flat screen TV's in every room .......although there is a very comfortable TV lounge / library & games room. What you will get is a very comfortable bed with freshly ironed sheets (thanks Sheila) in a large spacious bedroom. The home cooked full breakfast specially prepared by the lord of the manor (Bert) was also a delight. As I said, no fancy frills and spills, but a very comfortable stay at a location only a short stroll 60m from the centre of town.

Room Tip: We had a peek at most of them and all seemed equally comfortable and welcoming.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Des F
Reviewed October 1, 2012

At first we found the welcome a little cool. Bert greeted me at the door and just asked my name and showed me to my room. I asked his and introduced myself... I thought it seemed a little 'over it'. However, we found the room comfortable and the beds had electric blankets which was much appreciated as its was a little cool.

I managed to start up a conversation with Bert after breakfast and found a common thread - then Bert was very helpful and chatty.

Breakfast is great. My only niggle was the welcome book in your room promises afternoon tea - this was not available so suggest Bert and Shiela just update their information. A TV in the room was kind of expected but we didnt miss it, as the cosy lounge has one and we chatted to other guests.

Room Tip: we had room number one which was spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TraceyMCP
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This accommodation was booked 'sight unseen' for a work trip. But what an excellent choice! Do you like B&Bs? Albany? Being warm, comfortable and an opportunity to enjoy a fantastic freshly prepared/cooked brekky? You want to stay here! One night wasn't long enough and I am planning a return trip soon.

Majestic old building - furnished with love. Comfy beds with the best linen EVER, new en-suites and the most beautiful garden. This place is a real gem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeni H
Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Norman House is a warm, homely B & B in the heart of Albany within walking distance to the harbour, shops and restaurants. Bert & Sheila (the owners) are exceptionally friendly & welcoming. The rooms are very comfortable with all the amenities of a hotel but without the coldness you might experience at a franchised establishment. Sheila provided good tips for where to eat and we came back later in the night to a nice wood fire in the reading room. Bert is a great cook and provided a hearty hot breakfast to order. You would pay $20 for a 'big breakfast' equivalent at a Perth Cafe. Overall, we had a lovely stay and strongly recommend Norman House to anyone who is looking for homely accommodation close to all the action in Albany.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family