“I would not go again”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
“I would not go again”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Service is terrible !! Waitress are all rude . Food took for ever to come out . Food was terrible as it was more like all microwave Macain food . It was soggy and to me it was not fresh . The plates were dirty . The toilets also are discusting to me that says a lot off a place . This is the worst Mexican I have ever had and would not come to this place again I rather eat a packet off Doritos . 1/10

2 Thank Mjtvic

Perth, Australia
“Worst Ever.”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Everything was horrible.
1)Waitstaff ignored us when we entered, we stood there for two minutes waiting to be seated but they just didnt care to come over, my partner then asked where we could sit and was answered "Anywhere." by a staff member who then walked away.
2)Menus were not brought out for 10 minutes untill asked for...three times!
3)Food took forever to come out.. was cold and undercooked.
4)THEN the drinks came out, worst Sunrise I had ever tasted had to send it back for water, no apology or even anything said by the staff, they just took the drink and left. Then took 10 mins to get water.
4)Took 20 minutes and FIVE requests to get our bill. We did not tip.

Seriously, the worst place I have ever dined. DO NOT EAT HERE!!

• Visited September 2011
5 Thank leahisobella
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,277 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Mexican Food!”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We dined at this restaurant on a Sunday Lunch. The restaurant was not very busy inside but the alfresco dining was very popular. Across the road there was the monthly Craft Market so finding parking in the area was not easy. The restaurant is located close to the bay and as such there are pleasant water views.The menu has an extensive selection. We had entree consisting of trio of dips and mains included Quesadillas and Fajitas. The meals were okay but not spectacular and service of meals was quite prompt. The meals were washed down with some Margaritas. The street and area is packed with restaurants so there is an abundance of dining choices.

P.S. There are $2 Tacos on Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 2pm.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank tommomelbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Never again..”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Five of us expecting a tasty feed, (we all love Mexican) only to end up with, well umm, let's start like this:
3 dip starter - Dips nice but 80% of the corn chips burnt to C14 levels. Reduced to double dipping with forks.Told the waitress who didn't bother to replace the corn chips.
Mains: ordered 4 x Soft Chicken Taco's, 2 x Mexican mixed grill, 1 x Fajitas (beef).
Verdict:
Chicken in the Tacos tasted pasty with one non-descript herb, absolutely revolting. 1 of 4 eaten, barely...
Mixed Grills: Under cooked, Chorizo tasted like an undercooked balloon packed with un-spiced pork mince, (or was it pork, I don't know), shocker. As for the rest of the grill, steak was very average but the rest, well unedible in a word.
So we all shared the Fajitas, Bingo for taste..
$147 bucks later we were absolutely starving and end up at La Porchetta's instead.
Vive la super special!!!!!!!!

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank FridayRegular
Olympia, Wa
“So close, but...”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I'm acutally giving it 3.5 stars...
My husband and I are from the US and, while not true gourmands, do enjoy good food. Which sometimes includes the Americanized Tex-Mex and always includes authentic Mexican. So, this review is with Tex-Mex in mind, because VivaZ certainly is not authentic Mexican food.
The restaurant itself is charming and well decorated. I loved the wood ceiling, which looks like it's just been scraped of paint and is very pretty and warm. The service was hot and cold- the young woman helping us was barely paying attention and was plainly unhappy to be working, while the young man helping us was friendly and attentive. The service was neither terrible nor stellar.
But the food- and that's really what it's all about- was okay. We ordered the 3 dips appetizer, which had a queso dip, chili on carne and a bean dip. The not-so-queso dip was really a sour cream/tasty cheese combo that didn't impress. The chili con carne was just that and reminded me of Hormel chili from back home (from a can). The bean dip was the best, I thought, with whole beans, capsicum, onions and salsa. Not worth $15 to us, but interesting to try.
My husband ordred a combo plate, to get a good sense of their food. The taquito was a lot like what you would find in the grocer's freezer, but the chicken in the taco and enchilada was moist and flavorful. We both enjoyed their Mexican-style rice, which was light, flavorful and not greasy. I ordred the night's special, a chicken enchilada covered in a cream and corn sauce. It was delicious, really. Not too heavy, not too much sauce, but a rich flavor that paired well with the moist chicken and light rice.
Let's talk salsa because VivaZ, like every other Mexican restaurant we've been to in Australia, serves something akin to Pace. It's clearly canned tomatoes with a sparse amount of diced capsicum and onion and typically lacking in spice. I don't consider it good salsa unless it makes an attempt at freshness- fresh coriander, fresh jalapeno and fresh tomatoes. Their salsa was not great and not spicy.
We didn't find any of their food spicy, even though we ordred it that way. They did sprinkle some dried red pepper flakes on top of some of the food, in an attempt, we assumed, to give it heat, but it failed. But we like spicy foods, so you may find it hot enough for your taste.
With all of that having been said- it's the best Tex-Mex we've had in Melbourne so far! And worth a try if you're feeling like Mexican.

• Visited January 2011