“Not what it used to be! Terrible”
Review of Sam's Boat Shed - CLOSED

Sam's Boat Shed
Reviewed April 30, 2016 via mobile

We used to frequent Sam's Boatshed but haven't been for a while. Yesterday when we walked in and the ambience was absent and the tables were replaced with old faded and flaky wooden tables and the chairs were covered in rust, I wish we had of walked out. The waiters had no confidence or people skills. We ordered two beers, a bowl of chips and a slow cooked lamb wood fire pizza (marinated with garlic and rosemary, topped with potato, spinach, Spanish onion and crumbled feta). The beers arrived nice and cold, the chips arrived (no salt) they were alright, just basic chips but a generous serving at least.
Then out came the pizza... I couldn't tell what it was at first because it was covered in half melted cheese (not listed)... We served ourselves up a slice each, stringy cheese leading the way. I had one mouthful and it was pure minced garlic. I tasted the lamb - flavorless and dry. The base was undercooked. It was gross. We peeled back the cheese and there were small little piles of minced garlic from a jar, no spainish onion and no feta... Just a cover of melted tasty or mozerella cheese. I told my partner not to eat anymore as there was no way known I was going to pay for it. I went inside and told a lady that I was happy to pay for the beer and chips, but I didn't want to eat that pizza, get a new one or pay for it. She had no issues at all and removed it from the bill.

It is such a shame this place has gone down hill so much! My partner and I have had that pizza many times before and it was always very gourmet and delicious. Very veey disappointing. Would never go back.

Reviewed April 18, 2016

I've eaten here for dinner and lunch in a variety of conditions and its worked every time. well run, good staff and good menu.

Reviewed April 17, 2016

Sad to say that Sam's has gone badly astray. We've eaten here quite a few times before and never had reason for complaint, today's experience gave us many reasons.
The staff were super friendly and helpful, but I can't decide which was worse, the appallingly slow delivery of food ( almost 2 hrs from ordering to eating ), or the actual food itself. Fish in the seafood platters and just served with chips, had bones in it and was mostly batter which was soggy inside. Morton bay bugs were over cooked and so dry it was an effort to get the flesh from the shell. The lamb on a pizza was mostly gristle and fat. One diner ordered steak medium rare and it came VERY well done. When our guest asked for it to be replaced, it was taken away, but no replacement ever came.
Imagine our surprise when the steak was added to the bill.
Our celebratory lunch was certainly not enjoyable.
One more restaurant to strike off the list !

Reviewed April 8, 2016 via mobile

Bit of a hit and miss this place really. It's certainly got location and ambiance working in its favour. The quality of service and food can be either outstanding or poor. With that much inconsistency it's a great place to hang out and grab a drink or two and some simple menu items. If you're after a good sit down dinner you may have the best night out ever. Or regret you haven't gone for one of many nearby alternatives

Reviewed April 8, 2016 via mobile

20 minutes after being handed menus, we were finally afforded the luxury of ordering just our drinks. (We chose a quiet night, maybe 5-6 other tables total). After this farce, we then had to wait a further 15-20 minutes to be ever so rudely asked "whatcha gonna get to eat?" By a waitress who seemed less than impressed to be there at all. We promptly placed our orders, a chicken parmigiana and a seafood pizza. It was requested that no onion be on the pizza as allergies were involved.

We waited patiently for our food before one of the waitresses approached to ask "are you allergic to onions or do you just not like them?" Upon learning it was allergies, she left with no further words, only to come back 2 minutes later to say "our pizza base comes pre made onions" offering no alternative or solution to what was now obviously a problem. We then asked if they could change the sauce on the pizza to one with no onion on it, but this was quickly shut down. The only solution we were offered was a pizza with no sauce at all, which by this stage sounded like it was going to be the easiest way to get our in any sort of reasonable time frame as we'd been waiting an hour already.

20 more minutes went by and the pizza arrived (80 minutes after arriving on a quiet night) looking lacklustre and missing muscles from inside the muscle shells that were served on the pizza. When asked, the waitress stated that they "must've just fallen out and will be on your pizza", which they clearly, clearly weren't.

Another 10 minutes after this the parmigiana arrived. This seemed all fine until I looked underneath it to see it was a regular crumbed chicken breast that had been cut in half and butterflied, leaving only half the chicken now crumbed. (Not what I would class as a traditional style Parma).

Overall, the service was horrid, food not much better and overall atmosphere was in the middle of those two. Unhappy diners.