“Wedding at Wyndham”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Torquay
Geelong, Australia
“Wedding at Wyndham”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I cannot speak highly enough about the location, facilities, staff and atmosphere of the Wyndham Resort Torquay. We held our wedding there on Feb 8th 2014 and it was the perfect day. From the start Selena (events planner) was attentive and extremely helpful in making sure all went to plan. On the day, Morgan took over and was unbelievably helpful and friendly. The wedding ceremony location was beautiful, the rooms fantastic and the food/service was beyond expectations. We thank all the staff at Wyndham for making our big day so special and we will be back many times. Many of our guests also staying at Wyndham and commented that they would be back. 10/10. Aaron & Mechelle

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron S
WyndhamResortTorquay, Duty Manager at Wyndham Resort Torquay, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Aaron S,

Firstly thank you for your fantastic feedback, we are so very pleased that you enjoyed your big day here. I will definitely pass on the feedback to Selena and Morgan. Enjoy your honeymoon and we look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary.

Kind Regards,
Rebecca Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Williamstown, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I'm well travelled, overseas and all over Australia having stayed from camping to 6 star resorts and can I not express my disappointment enough returning back to my home town for ordinary service and mediocre rooms that are overpriced @ $290!
Upon arrival I was greeted by a dim wit gentleman who seemed to be bumbling through and struggled to make conversation. Upon asking how do I get my room he then showed me a map of the resort highlight where I was and advised there are many entry points. I asked ok so from here where is the best way to access the room and he said I'll find my way. He also advised there are limited car parks underground. In fact there were none and parked a block away.

The room was clean but no mini bar, only 2 pillows and no spare in room, no plates or cutlery (we had take out), glasses were dirty, filled a glass with water and loads of floaty's, no bin and no little table to eat our dinner.
We proceeded to the Sandbar for some cocktails, tables were filthy with food crumbs everywhere with only 4 guests and no one at the bar, I can't see how hard it is to clean the tables and several flies hanging around on top of the tables. We ordered our cocktails and the barman clearly would have preferred to be somewhere else, it seemed like an effort but the drinks were amazing I must admit. While we kicked back another couple came in and asked for cocktails, his response "oh you want cocktails", like it was an inconvenience. We went for a walk in the beach which was the only thing that was worth while. We returned for another cocktail and the barman said," oh I just made 2 of those", like oh far out more cocktails!
This hotel is overpriced, terrible service and rooms are substandard and I'm very disappointed! Will not be going back and we were checking it out for our wedding, no way!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Teramaze6
WyndhamResortTorquay, Duty Manager at Wyndham Resort Torquay, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Teramaze6,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay here. I do apologise for the experience you encountered at check in, I will definitely be speaking with the team as that service is unacceptable and not up to our standard. With our rooms they do not have a mini bar and dependent on what room type you booked there will be no cutlery or plates, however we are more than happy to bring those up to your room for you. Please be assured I will be following up with housekeeping in relation to the cleanliness of the Sandbar. Again, I do apologise for the service you received in the Sandbar, I will ensure the Food and Beverage manager speaks to the team. I am however happy you enjoyed the cocktails.

I hope we can welcome you back sometime in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

We felt very welcomed by all staff at the Wyndham resort. We ate at the restaurant (loved the view) had spa treatments, and had lunch at the poolside bar. The
staff were all friendly and professional. Our room was clean and pool towels were provided ( and replaced ) .
It allowed my daughter and I to enjoy our short holiday stay and we were very relaxed. We will certainly come and stay again, next time with the rest of the family. We will also recommend this hotel to our friends.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
WyndhamResortTorquay, Duty Manager at Wyndham Resort Torquay, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear K C,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay here at the resort. The restaurant certainly does have a beautiful view. I will be sure to pass onto the team your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back next time.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in queen-ocean view room for 2 nights as a special treat to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

Whilst the location, views and layout of the resort were excellent; unfortunately the lax standards of cleanliness and customer service were extremely poor.

Upon arrival there is no offer of assistance with luggage, requiring 2 trips to the car. Our room was beautifully decorated however greasy finger prints on every surface, filthy glass on the balcony and a dirty shower soon left us disillusioned. The final straw was when we left for the day to return to a room unmade up. When we did finally have a cleaner arrive at 5pm, after listening to her staffing woes, my husband asked for glass cleaner so he could clean the balcony glass!

The evening of our arrival & our anniversary, after drinking champagne on our balcony, we thought we'd try the restaurant. The in-room compendium stated the restaurant took last orders at 9.30pm and closed at 10. Upon our arrival at 9.05 we were promptly told they were closed. We told them what the compendium said and were told we were wrong; I continued to insist and the waitress said she'd never heard THAT before, clearly insinuating we were lying. When we asked where we could get food (no room service here!) we were told that although it was a Saturday night, everything was shut and what do we expect of a country town? No suggestions-nothing!

Eventually we drove to a take-away pizza shop which we enjoyed on our balcony with our anniversary bottle of French champagne.

Out by the pool, similar issues with cleanliness; filthy tables while bar staff stood there chatting to each other, families bringing in takeaway burgers and leaving their wrappers etc. We asked for a bowl for potato crisps purchased from the bar and were told there were none. When 3 days ago we pointed out to staff that there was icecream spilt in the pavers, was met with indifference and the melted icecream is still sitting in the filthy pavers.

All of these issues detract from what could be a truly special, 5 star resort. Disappointingly, there was absolutely no acknowledgement from the staff of our silver wedding anniversary.

We changed our booking from the Crown Metropol to come to the Wyndham Torquay but after all the stress, we're now regretting it!

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Samgerard
Dear Samgerard,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to provide it to us. Firstly, congratulations on your silver wedding anniversary. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay here, I would like to apologise for the experience you encountered here at the resort, it is definitely not up to our usual standard. Please be assured I will be following up with housekeeping in relation to your concerns regarding the cleanliness of the resort, along with the service of your room. I will also be speaking with the food and beverage team who were in the restaurant the night of your arrival. The last orders in the restaurant are taken by 9:00pm, in the compendium it does state last orders are generally taken at 9:30pm but is subject to change, I am sorry for the service you received there. Due to the time there are very limited options in regards to dining, but we are thankful you did manage to find somewhere still doing takeaway.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself was clean, and rooms well presented. However, the bathroom smelt of a sewer- you literally had to hold your breathe when in there for any period of time. This smell made the entire room smell disgusting, even with the bathroom door shut we had to sleep with the balcony door open all night. Not pleasant at all!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WyndhamResortTorquay, Duty Manager at Wyndham Resort Torquay, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Kts333,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am disappointed to read about the experience in your bathroom. I will follow this issue up with our housekeeping department.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Melbourne
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Great looking modern resort with clean and comfortable rooms. Indoor pool a great option in the colder months. Did not try the outdoor pool but it looked great. Ambient restaurant with pleasant food.
Check in started off friendly. We were greeted by a middle-aged gentleman who started polite conversation about our stay. I explained that my husband and I were away without the children to which he politely smiled. A lady at the check in counter took a polite interest and asked us how old our kids were etc. which was very welcoming. At this point the gentleman told us we would not be allowed to stay in our room with the children as that would exceed the maximum occupancy. He pointed out that I had stated only 2 adults would be staying and pointed to my printed confirmation. The lady at the counter seemed as perplexed as we were and thankfully pointed out that we were not there with children.
The rest of our stay was actually fine but I did not take kindly to being accused of lying at check-in. Regardless of how pleasant our stay was our experience was already marred at the beginning. I regret not paying attention to names. Kudos to the lady attending the counter for actually listening to what I had to say.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JesVoy
WyndhamResortTorquay, Duty Manager at Wyndham Resort Torquay, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear JesVoy,

Thank you for your feedback. We do appreciate you taking the time to provide it to us. I do apologise for the experience you encountered at check in, it is certainly not up to our usual standard. I will definitely be following this up with all staff.

We hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in August and was immediately surprised by the smell in the bathroom that seemed to be coming from the drain. In the end we put a towel over the drain.

The room was smallish but ok for our needs.

The resort has a great pool and great views from the right rooms.

The staff were courteous and attentive when approached

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Darren S,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I do apologise for the smell in the drain, I will follow that up with housekeeping.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Rebecca Jones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Torquay Tropicana Motel
Peppers The Sands Resort Torquay
Great Ocean Road Resort
Great Ocean Road Resort
#1 of 1 in Anglesea

Been to Wyndham Resort Torquay? Share your experiences!