“Excellent choice!”

Peppers The Sands Resort Torquay
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and was delighted by so many aspects! The customer service was exceptional, nothing was too much trouble, the accommodation was lovely, clean and comfortable. The views of the golf course were perfect and the food was delicious. The proximity of the beach was also another positive aspect of Peppers.
Would definitely return and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
niccii, General Manager at Peppers The Sands Resort Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear LuisaP,

Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted you enjoyed your time at Peppers The Sands Resort. I do hope you get the opportunity to return for a leisure stay. The Surf Coast offers a range of wonderful things to do. Keep your eye out for our autumn specials.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Having travelled the Great Ocean Road towards Geelong and being regularly disappointed with the quality of accommodation, it was a pleasure to stay at Peppers.

Friendly staff, top amenities and a great golf course outlook. As long as you aren't expecting to see the sea, you'll be happy.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
niccii, General Manager at Peppers The Sands Resort Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Neverhome,

Thank you so much for your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. You rated us 5 out of 5! Our team will be delighted.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Please look out for our spring packages that have just been released.

Kind regards and safe travels.

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

(We actually stayed march 2012 but I have only just got around to writing a review)

Views of the golf course when you first wake up are beautiful. Such a quiet and relaxing place to stay. Lovely rooms. Our shower took forever to get to the right temperature and peppers isn't walking distance to the main shops but it was nice to be away from it all and just relax. I can't comment on the restaurant as we didn't dine there.

*My one tip... pay the extra money for the golf course view room you won't regret it. The other view is just of the car park! Yuck!

We would definitely stay here again and we are looking forward to experiencing other Peppers in Australia one day. Thank you Peppers The Sands Resort torquay!

• Stayed: April 2012
niccii, General Manager at Peppers The Sands Resort Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Katee22,

Thank you for your post. I would have to agree with you on our views. For only $25 more per night you get a golf course view and can watch the sun come up. Also breakfast is served in Hanners Restaurant and you get the same view. It is so relaxing, a beautiful breakfast with the morning paper and enjoying the sun come up. Even nice in the winter time!

We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Look out for our upcoming spring specials.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great location, great rooms - all wrecked by a poorly managed facility. Prime focus is to leverage revenue- a small change to focus on customers would drive the revenue they so desperately appear to be chasing. A great pity - as it could be good.

Stay thereof you have to. And, if you do, avoid eating there if at all possible. Restuarant is overpriced and inadequate - except for breakfast (different manager) which is fine.

And, by the way, the Wi-Fi charges are extreme. Insulting in fact.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SAWoody

Dear SAWoody,

Thank you for your comments however, I am shocked. . It is very rare we receive negative comments about our customer service. Customer service is our focus so I am very curious to know what let us down. If you have a spare few minutes please contact me to discuss.

I hope to get the opportunity to discuss your concerns.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Our Peppers studio room has been very comfortable with a king size bed and lots of room. They have provided everything we expect when paying $220/night. The golf course looks fabulous and we had a great meal with excellent service at Hanners Restaurant here on Saturday night. The only minus is that it is not within walking distance to other restaurants and cafes and it is a bit of a hike to the beach. However, the beach is one of the best I have ever seen. It is like the Gold Coast beaches but is preserved in its natural state. No big high rises right on the beach. There were also catamarans, etc to hire down there. Would highly recommend the hotel and the Torquay area for a holiday.

Room Tip: We were given a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the car park. It wasn't noisy but we woul...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kitty Katch,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted to read your enjoyed your stay. We had a very busy weekend with over 600 guests for the weekend and most of our guests are making similar comments to you upon check out and we have received lovely comment cards. Every month we track guest comments that we receive and your will be added for the month of March.

Thank you again.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Check-in was a fast, efficient and friendly, unfortunately when we walked to our room (some distance from reception) are card would not work in our door. We went back to reception and given another card then this one didn’t work. Went back again and a staff member came and opened our room with a master card, then they came back with another unsuccessful card, we then had to wait in our room for a technician to come (nearly 1hr had passed by this stage) this was extremely frustrating as I am not sure why we could have not just been offered a new room, although the staff were apologetic and issued us with a free drink, it was a big inconvenience and could have been easily avoided with a new room at check in. The rooms are quite spacious, the fact that they are marketed as a King Bed when in fact they are 2 single mattresses together with a lumpy seam is misleading and would not have stayed knowing this. Unfortunately our room was overpowered with cleaning chemicals and not a little we left the door wide open and the fan on as was burning our throat it was so bad, there was no relief for the 1st night from this horrible and almost toxic smell.
Pillow choices are Hard or Hard, we had 4 pillows all hard and High, we left a note for housekeeping the following day to request 2 soft pillows which they left (having 2 of each in the room to begin would have made our first night more enjoyable)
The rooms are spacious and comfortable, our bathroom wasn’t very clean but the linen was good quality. There is no mini bar but a vending machine down stairs. Breakfast is available for $18 if you advise the night before or $28 on the day. We went to Café Moby both days for a lovely breakfast overlooking the water. We dined in the Restaurant for Pizzas which were nice, but the restaurant was very dirty and the staff although friendly were not around and had to go to the bar to order a drink after being seated. The location is lovely and walking distance to the beach but not town, so you would need a car. There is a large car park and hard to know where to park as you are left to find your own room with no map and minimal directions. The car park quickly fills with locals for golf. The Gym and Pool looked great, but didn’t get a chance to use them.
There were weddings on both nights we were there which got rowdy with car alarms going off in the night and people that had drunk too much being noisy.

We had a balcony overlooking the carpark which was absolutely filthy, stained glass, bird poo and, hair and a lot of dust, no chairs to sit on, infact was so dirty you didn’t want to go outside, very disappointing and a complete waste of a space that could be utilised.
When we checked out we weren’t even asked if we enjoyed our stay which was disappointing, I wouldn’t stay here again, the restaurant was not up to scratch (reviewed on Urbanspoon) and given all the problems we had was not a relaxing break away but more a stressful experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the north wing closest to reception
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
niccii, General Manager at Peppers The Sands Resort Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Frequentoztravllers,

Thank you for a thorough post. Your comments will be included in our management meeting this afternoon to discuss and document. I am not sure of the date you stayed but, you mentioned of 2 weddings on property. If that was the case the hotel was 100% occupied so a room move may have been challenging.

It is rare that we have a problem with our accommodation key cards. I am glad to read that it was fixed in a timely manner but, I can appreciate your inconvenience and it reads our team members did their best for you.

We are extremely proud of the cleanliness of our resort. I have been at the resort for 2 years and in that time we have welcomed over 30,000 guests and I have never heard a negative comment about the chemicals we use to clean our accommodation rooms.

Your comments about our balconies; all balconies are scrubbed down regularly. At this time of the year we do have many birds in our beautiful region. I cannot believe the balcony was so dirty you did not use it.

I highly recommend when you have an issue with a hotel you let the reception staff know so we are given the opportunity to fix it. All hotels wish to ensure all their guests are happy however, if we do not know about it how can we?

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed back in November as part of a 'Spring Special'. This included a lot of extras that made it a good value booking.

Our room was a studio room which had ample room and a nice balcony over the golf course which was part of the package. Room was clean and had all required 'bits' in good working order. We had several breakfasts and dinner at Hanners and found meal quality and service to be fine.

Our 'upgrade' room faced over the golf course. Not a spectacular view, but plenty to watch as the punters followed that white ball around (yes - as you can tell I am not a golfer). The room windows and balcony face south east. If it is some winter sun you are chasing you might do better with a car park view with its north west aspect. The view is not all that dismal on this side and plenty to see looking over the town and watching the comings and goings in the car park.

I actually would have rated our stay 5 stars (primary on value) except for some issues with making a booking. We found the spring special on a third party web site, but as I dislike booking with these businesses (they do give operators a hard time and cream a fair bit off the booking) I rang the hotel to book direct. Also when you deal with the operator direct you often get good info on rooms that fit what you are looking for. However on this occasion the booking person denied that the 'spring special' existed and tried to sell me a room at nearly double the rate. (rack rate !!!??) . I remonstrated and asked how come I could book it through a third party but not direct. She said she would investigate and ring me back and she did. She said they would do the booking at that rate (but sounded unhappy). Beats me as most booking sites cream 10% on the booking cost. I made the booking direct, but to add insult to injury the credit charge fee was much higher that the third party (fixed fee vs variable fee). Again I remonstrated but was basically told 'take it or leave it. Nearly backed out at this stage and stayed somewhere else. Glad I didn't as our stay was most pleasant. It is because of this I have rated service as only one star.

We would definitely return for a similar package

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
niccii, General Manager at Peppers The Sands Resort Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your post. I am delighted you enjoyed and had a good stay at Peppers The Sands Resort.

I am very curious on your comments about the booking procedure. If you have 5 minutes I would greatly appreciate the time to discuss this. Did you deal directly with our resort or our central booking office?

Nicole Hill

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Wyndham Resort Torquay
Quality Hotel Bayside Geelong
RACV Torquay Resort
RACV Torquay Resort
#1 of 5 in Torquay

Been to Peppers The Sands Resort Torquay? Share your experiences!